daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:29 PM   #9561
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Yes, they will construct a cloverleaf with one turbine connector. It's part of the N33 duplication project. The new interchange will be constructed between early 2013 and late 2014.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #9562
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 103

I will show you some pictures from my Roadtrip trough the EU+EFTA from 15/07/13 until 19/07/13. A1 - A28 - A27 - A58 - A16

Godius, javimix19, Slagathor liked this post
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #9563
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Hi, I read in Wikipedia since since 1991, only 100 kilometers of motorway have been constructed in the entire country, of which only 26 km lie within the Randstad metropolitan area. The population has grown by 1.5 million since, creating significant pressure on the motorway network.

Is that matter true? If is, why? Is the network of Holland completed?
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #9564
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 157

A lot of motorways have been widened to increase the capacity. The network is pretty good, although there are some missing links wich should have been constructed, but at the end it's a matter of politics (a.k.a left/green parties opposing plans, nimbys etc)

javimix19 liked this post
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #9565
ChrisZwolle
Road user

271 kilometers of new motorways have opened to traffic in 1991-2013. 80 kilometers opened in 2007-2013.

Most of the network is complete, there are a few persisting missing links, some of which are under construction. There are no plans to construct entirely new motorways. Widening the network has a much higher priority, much has been done in 2008-2012, but there is still a lot of work to do, especially on the hinterland routes (A1, A15, A27, A58, A67) where six-laning is necessary for hundreds of kilometers. Another point of concern is the capacity of some motorway-to-motorway interchanges. We need more stacks.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

javimix19 liked this post
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #9566
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Hi, I read in Wikipedia since since 1991, only 100 kilometers of motorway have been constructed in the entire country
Not true, about 250 kms since 1991. The network now has 2516 kms of highways. In 1991 that was around 2250 kms.

Quote:
, of which only 26 km lie within the Randstad metropolitan area.
I have no idea whether this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me... Quickly thinking, the only highways that come to mind are the A5 and the A9 near the Wijkertunnel. So 26 km might acually be correct. But it also depends on how you define the Randstad. There are multiple ways to describe the Randstad area, so it's kinda a vague area.

Quote:
Is that matter true? If is, why? Is the network of Holland completed?
The network is fairly completed. Most missing links are under constuction now (like the famous A4 delft-Schiedam which will be opened in 2015 after almost 70 years(!!!) of debate). Not every single one of them is under construction though (for example the A8-A9 connection).
Why? Well there are multiple factor. Politics shifted the focus on infrastructure from highways to public transport, long procedures before a highway can be built. Before 1007 there was an average of about 11 years of procedures. Due to new laws that has been brought down to ~ 4 years. And let's not forget the NIMBY's (Not In My BackYard)...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #9567
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Ok, sorry for say that Holland network only growth 100 km since 1991, Wikipedia lies I think . Thank you for your answers guys. Very grateful.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #9568
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wikipedia is often outdated. The Dutch Wikipedia is one of the worst of all Wikipedias, it's very large but its depth is extremely shallow. They obviously wanted to create as many articles as possible without caring about its content. A lot of stuff on Wikipedia about roads has not been updated for years. An encyclopedia is not just about creating articles, but also maintaining them in the longer term.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, aswnl, MichiH liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 24th, 2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #9569
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Probably goes to show that there's a lack of interest on certain items, as anyone can update information on Wikipedia. When a Hollywood star dies, information gets updated instantly.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #9570
Road_UK
BANNED

When exactly will all the falling arrow signs be replaced by the Germany style ones?
Old July 25th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #9571
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They are replaced when needed. The budget for replacing signs is shrinking, most new signs are a result of road projects where signage renewal was needed or when a sign was damaged in an accident. I think it could be years before everything is replaced.
Old July 25th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #9572
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post

Again thanks for this great info. Just few more questions.

So who checks the Rijskwaterstraat? Just the Court of Audit?
I thought that the EU directives on the public procurement require quite high openess. But I would have to read more on this.

I see, tracébesluit, but in this case the tracébesluit is just available after the contract is awarderd and design finalized. Thus there still can come an appeal that would object against something that was added to the tracébesluit by the contracting firm in the tender. Thus there is inherent legal risk in such type of tendering. It would be interesting to know, how is this legal risk mittigated or who bears it.

Ok, so basically you say, once one has tracébesluit, the building permit is a formality. Nice! Is there though a theoretical chance to appeal it (the building permit)? And it's just that there is very little chance of such appeal suceeding, that no one actually does that? Is it because that the courts would consider irrevocable tracébesluit as bulletproof, or because tracébesluits actually are so well prepared and there never emerges a fail in them?

Last one. The EIA and EIS. The EU require an EIA by each project. Is EIA part of the wider defined Dutch procedure EIS? E.g. part of the desing EIS?
I am looking into public procurement in the Netherlands. It is interesting the EU commission had a dispute with the Netherlands about public procurement in two cases of the public works and NL agreed to keep to EU principles: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-11-600_en.htm

Most probably this induced a change in the public procurement law in the Netherlands and on April 1, 2013 a new law came into force. http://uk.practicallaw.com/3-522-790...o=&qe=#a392169

A general overview over the public procurement in Netherlands: http://uk.practicallaw.com/3-522-790...o=&qe=#a405737

Quote:
12. What systems are in place in relation to the publication of details/copies of completed tender and contract documentation, which include pricing and other potentially sensitive information?

The contracting authority must inform bidders and motivate its decision to award or deny the public contract. As a general rule, the contracting authority must provide sufficient information on the selection of individual bids to enable bidders to assess properly the potential success of the available legal remedies. Accordingly, the contracting authority must inform bidders about the final scorings of the different bids and the characteristics and advantages of the winning tender. This would in principle include the disclosure of general pricing information. However, no information about individual bids is made public when this would jeopardise any legitimate commercial interests of tenderers or the fair competition between undertakings.

my comment: It would be interesting to challenge Rijkswaterstaat on this. How do they reason little disclosure, with jeopardizing the commercial interests? Seems that Rijkswaterstaat is too friendly with the commercial sector here.

The obligation to motivate the tender decision is intended to enable candidates to understand the ranking of their bid. Dutch case law recognises that the contracting authority is not generally required to provide commercially sensitive information about detailed pricing arrangements. In addition, contracting authorities may also deny the disclosure of information for reasons of public interest. This exception may for example be relevant in relation to public contracts for the protection of government buildings or the Dutch royal family.

Last edited by Surel; July 25th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #9573
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Delft - Rotterdam

Fresh aerial photos of A4.

More here:
http://defotograaf.eu/blog/a4-midden-delfland-2/
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #9574
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

A short movie I made a few days ago on the A77 and A73 towards Venlo:

julesstoop liked this post
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #9575
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6/A7 Joure Interchange

The construction of the Joure interchange has been delayed. The original plan was to construct a new interchange between 2013-2015 but is now pushed back to 2015-2017. The reason was the uncertainty whether an aquaduct could be constructed for the Scharsterrijn canal, which sees heavy recreational shipping. It is now clear that an aquaduct is not funded until after 2020, so the interchange will remain a stand-alone project as originally planned.

An EIA will be published in late 2013 and the project will be tendered in 2014. Construction should be done between 2015 and 2017.

current "interchange".

future interchange:
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #9576
Road_UK
BANNED

It means it will take two years to get rid of a roundabout and replace it by a proper interchange junction? Why would it take them so long? On the A1 between Doncaster and Peterborough it only took them a few months to replace 6 or 7 roundabouts with proper interchange junctions .
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #9577
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

If you look at the second pic, or in maps for that matter, you'll see that this is a very wet area; canals, ditches and a couple of lakes dot the area. The earthworks for the new interchange will need considerable time to set before they can be used for further construction.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9578
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What about the McD exit?
lafreak84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #9579
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
What about the McD exit?
If you're referring to the exit towards Joure: there will be a seperate exit for Joure. The interchange will be located a bit to the southwest of this location, creating space for the exit.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #9580
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Warszauer View Post
It's really not photo shop?
http://goo.gl/maps/lP76w

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands