daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #9581
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

A73 Roermond - Venlo

The southern half of A73 on video. This is one of the last long new motorways in the Netherlands. Most of A73 in this video opened in 2007-2008. Only the segment in Venlo is older (1996). There are two tunnels, the longest is 2.5 km.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, wkiehl101 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:52 PM   #9582
ChrisZwolle
Road user

truck traffic in the Netherlands

Truck traffic volumes, per direction, in 2011. As you can see a large share of the motorway network carries over 10 000 trucks per day. The highest amount of trucks is at Rotterdam, where there are road segments with up to 30 000 trucks per day.

Old August 1st, 2013, 03:18 PM   #9583
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Steenbergen

Some new aerial photos of A4 around Steenbergen.

1. Dinteloord terminus since 1971.

2. Tholen interchange, opened in 2007, extended a few hundred meters in 2012.

3. Klutsdorp temporary access point.

4. A4 north, passing west of Steenbergen.

5. A4 west of Steenbergen. Some of the embankments still need to settle properly, to avoid subsidence in the future.

6. The new Steenbergen interchange.

7. Steenbergen aqueduct.

8. Steenbergsche Vliet bridge.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:57 PM   #9584
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Has there ever been a case of a newly constructed highway that suffered significant subsidence on its first years and required extensive reconstruction or closure for repairs?
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:01 PM   #9585
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The new stretch of A4 around Venice had to go through serious works because it was... a fountain, and not a highway. Since 2008, and we're not even completely done...

EDIT: sorry, maybe you were just asking about NL.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:43 PM   #9586
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Some new aerial photos of A4 around Steenbergen.
FRom what date are those? My pics are from July 23rd and they show the parallel road opened. These pics show the parallel road closed (pic 4 top of screen).
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:40 PM   #9587
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
The new stretch of A4 around Venice had to go through serious works because it was... a fountain, and not a highway. Since 2008, and we're not even completely done...

EDIT: sorry, maybe you were just asking about NL.
Oh, I was asking about Netherlands only, sorry didn't make it clear.
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:52 PM   #9588
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Has there ever been a case of a newly constructed highway that suffered significant subsidence on its first years and required extensive reconstruction or closure for repairs?
Not that I am aware of. However, some roads developed some severe subsidence after a few decades, particularly in Zuid-Holland province. Examples are N3, A4, N11 & A20. Although they are not bumpy, the ride like a roller coaster, going up and down all the time.
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:52 PM   #9589
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Oh, I was asking about Netherlands only, sorry didn't make it clear.
My bad! I believed we were in the general topic...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:19 PM   #9590
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
My bad! I believed we were in the general topic...
That's ok. The Netherlands is a small country...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:26 PM   #9591
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Truck traffic volumes, per direction, in 2011. As you can see a large share of the motorway network carries over 10 000 trucks per day. The highest amount of trucks is at Rotterdam, where there are road segments with up to 30 000 trucks per day.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XIi3T6P.png[IMG]
Which is why I hate driving on the A15 eastwards of Rotterdam, the right lane is filled with trains of trucks @88km/h.
The left lane is filled with ''zondagsrijders'' or old people driving at 105-110km/h...

Can't get anywhere at a decent speed, the A12 ( because of 2x4 lanes instead of 2x2) and A59 ( much less trucks) are far better to traverse.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:30 PM   #9592
ChrisZwolle
Road user

traffic congestion

Traffic congestion was at an historic low in the month of July. Not ever has there been so little congestion on Dutch motorways since reliable record keeping began in 2005. The amount of congestion was 70% lower than the July average during the past 7 years.

snowdog liked this post
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #9593
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Combination of widenings and the holidays where a lot of people buggered off abroad .

Much better, even the local roads are great to travel these days!
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #9594
Suburbanist
on the road

A2 Maastricht project

Source: RWS

Agnette, Luki_SL, snowdog, lafreak84 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #9595
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 's-Hertogenbosch - Eindhoven

I took some photos this morning of the A2 widening project in Best. Construction works seem dormant right now, I think it requires no more than a weekend closure to pave the final layer.

1. Ter hoogte van de aansluiting Best-West, kijkend richting zuiden.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Best-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

2. De verharding is hier zo goed als gereed, maar wellicht wordt er met een weekendafsluiting nog een toplaag gedraaid.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Best-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

3. De aansluiting Best.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Best-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

4. De verdiepte ligging langs Best.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Best-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

5. Zelfde locatie, kijkend richting noorden.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Best-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

6. 3 rijstroken vanaf Best-West richting noorden.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Best-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

7. Iets zuidelijker in Best zelf.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Best-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

8. Aansluiting Best.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Best-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2 Best-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

10. De aansluiting Best-West.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Best-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 6th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #9596
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N329, Oss

The N329 provincial road in the city of Oss was recently widened to 2x2 lanes. They also built an interchange and a railway underpass. N329 used to be one of the busiest two-lane roads in the Netherlands with 30 000 vehicles per day. It is a major access road to Oss, even though N329 dead-ends at a ferry crossing, nearly all industry is located along this road.

The lack of integration of the N329 within the Paalgraven motorway interchange (A50/A59) has been critized.

snowdog, EPA001 liked this post
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #9597
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A50 Ewijk Waal River Bridge

The bridge deck of the new A50 bridge across the Waal River at Ewijk has seen some significant deformation. The amplitude is more than 20 centimeters while only a few centimeters were anticipated. It's quite visible from the car, although you don't really feel you're going up and down forcibly, when driving across it.

It has been called a construction error, but the implications are not clear yet. Other cable-stayed bridges in the Netherlands do not have such deformation, but some 1970s concrete cantilever bridges did have significant deformation as well, though different from this case.

The national media or politicians have not picked this up yet, we'll see what happens after the summer recess is over.

The bridge carries over 110 000 vehicles per day.

Old August 13th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #9598
ChrisZwolle
Road user

road design

The Foundation for Scientific Road Safety Research (SWOV) published a report about the design standards of roads in the Netherlands.

This was widely picked up in the media, because the report found the Dutch lanes for non-urban, non-motorway major roads are the narrowest in the world. The standard lane width is only 2.75 meters. The standard road width is 7.50 meters, while 8.50 - 9.50 meters is internationally the norm.

In addition to the narrow lanes, the report also found out the overall road design was very poor compared to international roads, especially the width of shoulders (which are non-existent in the Netherlands) and the obstacle free or clear zone is narrower than most other countries. Additionally Dutch roads are continuously designed with the minimum design standards, instead of the preferred design standards, and frequently even below minimum standards.

The report cited a significant reduction in traffic fatalities on wider roads compared to the road width in the Netherlands. While the Netherlands is one of the safest countries in the world, non-urban 80 km/h roads are the unsafest road type.

They published this table (I translated it to English) about lane width. As you can see the Dutch lane width is substantially more narrow than the other countries, often by half a meter or more.

They note that with a lane width of 2.75 meters, a standard 2.55 meter wide truck (excluding mirrors) have a very low margin of error. In addition, because of the non-existent shoulders, crashes involving the roadside occur much more often than they should, because there is very little room for correcting the vehicle. It is common in the Netherlands to have a roadside with soft soil, and sometimes the pavement is 5 - 10 cm higher than the adjoining road side, resulting vehicles that veer off the road being much harder to correct back into the lane safely, often causing oversteering and crashing into oncoming traffic or the roadside on the left side of the road (potentially into water or trees).

keokiracer, Suburbanist, Billly liked this post
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9599
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
This was widely picked up in the media, because the report found the Dutch lanes for non-urban, non-motorway major roads are the narrowest in the world. The standard lane width is only 2.75 meters. The standard road width is 7.50 meters, while 8.50 - 9.50 meters is internationally the norm.
The Netherlands have one of densest motorway network which connects every bigger town. This dense motorway network lifts the burden of rural all-purpose roads to carry large numbers of traffic in general and HGV-traffic in particular. The rural roads are left, then, with the grateful task to handle traffic to small towns and villages only. For which rather narrow road widths are sufficient.
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #9600
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are many two-lane roads that carry heavy traffic of 15 000 - 20 000 vehicles per day. Whether that traffic is local or long-distance is irrelevant for traffic safety considerations.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands