daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #9721
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It will be demolished and turned into a city park and perhaps some new developments. It will be redundant and expensive to fit within the new alignment. The current 2x2 A9 carries 97 000 vehicles per day.

The motorway was constructed at the same time the new neighborhoods around it were developed in the mid-1960s.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just realign one direction though ?

Current A9> 2x2 or 1x4 lanes northwest bound.

''new'' A9> 1x3 or 1x4 lanes southeast bound.

Would require much less hassle with the interchange Badhoevedorp too! It's not like the people who live these didn't choose to live next to a motorway, they knowingly profited from lower property prices and bought a home next to a motorway...

g.spinoza liked this post
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #9722
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

"livable city" being a key word here. They don't like to be "boxed in" by motorways. And the Badhoevedorp interchange needed reconstruction anyway, this is the busiest (and oldest) cloverleaf in the Netherlands.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #9723
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 's-Hertogenbosch - Eindhoven

The A2 widening project will be completed by 30 September if weather cooperates. They plan two weekend closures to repave the entire motorway. When it reopens on Monday 30 September, there will be 2x3 lanes all the way from 's-Hertogenbosch to Eindhoven (in fact, there will be 6-16 lanes all the way from Amsterdam to Eindhoven).

The widening of 22 kilometers of A2 took 21 months (1¾ years).
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #9724
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N11, A44, N206 Rijnland Route, Leiden

Minister Schultz of transportation and deputy De Bondt of Zuid-Holland province have signed a financial agreement about the funding of the so-called "Rijnland Route", a major upgrade project and the largest provincial road project ever undertaken in the Netherlands.

Say cheese:

The € 812 million project, including € 500 million in national government funding, will construct a new east-west expressway south of Leiden between A4 & A44, mostly underground. It will also widen A44 to 2x4 lanes between the new link and N206, and upgrade N206 towards Katwijk.

The project will significantly ease traffic in the Leiden area, which has more traffic issues than most other cities of this size in the Netherlands. There is no decent east west link in this area, other than straight through the city.

It is planned to get the provincial environmental assessment ready by 2014 and the national record of decision / EIS by early 2015. Construction will likely be executed between 2015 and 2018. Tunneling operations will use a tunnel boring machine.

The green route was chosen earlier this year:
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #9725
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N279 Eindhoven square

The "Eindhoven square" is a planned provincial road project to improve mobility around the southern city of Eindhoven. The plan is to expand the N279 from 2 to 4 lanes between Veghel and A67, and construct a new east-west link from A50 to N279.

The budget is € 865 million and the project will be executed between 2017 and 2020. However, there is no final design yet, and the political powers are now battling about the exact design standards. Due to a significant contribution by the national government, high design standards will be implemented, most likely a 100 km/h 2x2 expressway.

Local municipalities are proposing all kinds of "extra-legal" mitigation features that go far beyond the available budget of € 865 million. The Noord-Brabant province has agreed to survey these demands, even though it is pretty much certain they won't fit in the budget and there is no chance for additional funding sources yet. However, the project runs the risk of losing the national funding if they would lower the design standards to what will essentially be a regular provincial road, which are generally not funded by the national government.

The project cost of € 865 million is far above what a typical province normally spends on road projects. For example, the 2013 road budget (expansion & maintenance) of Noord-Brabant is only € 78 million, which is one of the highest provincial road budgets in the Netherlands, so the feasibility of this project is close to zero if the national government decides to pull back their share of funding due to non-compliance with design standards.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog liked this post
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #9726
masakratownik

Likes (Received): 0

Moi ChrisZwolle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The annual expenditure on roads varies. The 2013 road budget (maintenance, widening, new construction & operations of national roads & motorways) is € 2.7 billion.
it is the only budget for 2013? or for 2013-2015
included in the fietspad?
and how it looked in 2012?
masakratownik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #9727
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Budgets in the Netherlands are annually.

Bicycle infrastructure is almost exclusively paid for by municipalities. Most bicycle infrastructure is built when new developments occur, so expenditures on it is highly irregular.
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #9728
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It is interesting to compare the height of the sign and the workers. I always underestimate those signs' size when passing through them at high speeds.

97 m²:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #9729
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

This is not a sign you can buy a replica to put in your house!
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #9730
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Well, you can. But you need a big apartment and you must use it instead of the floor

Actually, what amuses me is that such a wide sign is actually telling no information

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #9731
ChrisZwolle
Road user

97 square meters, that is bigger than the floor space of my apartment
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #9732
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post

Actually, what amuses me is that such a wide sign is actually telling no information
That's a bit weird indeed. an 'All lanes = [insert motorsway number]' would have been easier on the eye.
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #9733
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 753

'alle rijstroken' ?
Nah, this is better...and there is a big chance that there is a exit lane sign next to it on the same gantry.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #9734
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Or you put the route numbers, once, next to the "Amsterdam, Schiphol, Haarlem" and leave the arrows where they are?

EDIT:
Like this, sort of: http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag..._il_st_06a.jpg

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Surel liked this post

Last edited by Penn's Woods; September 14th, 2013 at 02:30 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #9735
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Quote:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images294/i-294_il_st_06a.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #9736
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

How strange!

In that case: http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-294_il.html

Scroll about halfway down to the heading "Perspective from Illinois 394/Bishop Ford (Calumet) Expressway north"; then it's the left-hand one of the pair of images immediately above that heading.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Godius liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #9737
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
'alle rijstroken' ?
Nah, this is better...and there is a big chance that there is a exit lane sign next to it on the same gantry.
Yep

image hosted on flickr
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #9738
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
How strange!

In that case: http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-294_il.html

Scroll about halfway down to the heading "Perspective from Illinois 394/Bishop Ford (Calumet) Expressway north"; then it's the left-hand one of the pair of images immediately above that heading.
Dream scenario for dutch roads.
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #9739
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godius View Post
Dream scenario for dutch roads.
Old September 15th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #9740
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

American signage is absolutely no longer an example for Dutch signs.
And these signs prove just exactly why...

If there is a signage system that people unknown to the region (i.e. from abroad) can not rely on, it is the American system.

The only really good thing we inherited from the USA-signage is the font Interstate Series E(M), in NL known as RWS-Ee.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands