daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #9821
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Planning, discussions, red light, green light... No wait... Oh Ok...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #9822
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A2 Maastricht

The new tunnel in Maastricht is now officially named the "Koning Willem-Alexandertunnel" (King Willem-Alexander Tunnel). The tunnel will open in 2016.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #9823
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsteve View Post
And that is cheap by British standards. (...) "Managed Motorways" (...)
I must say I'm surprised by the high construction cost of managed motorway schemes in the United Kingdom. The Dutch shoulder running schemes are not as costly, the major cost is operational (CCTV + detection, matrix signs, etc.) and widening slip roads for a double merge, combined with the occasional SOS stop.

The Dutch left shoulder running schemes are much more expensive though, because it involves a physical widening (and in most cases, complete rebuilding) of the motorway. They want to turn some of the left shoulder running into permanent lanes to reduce operational cost.
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #9824
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

Chris,

I would like to ask a somehow dumb question concerning the shoulder running projects in Netherlands. Does a shoulder running provide with an extra regular lane, or only "lengthened" right turn lane so a main flow goes with regular number of lanes anyway?

I would be grateful if you gave some examples (ie video). On some Polish forums opponents of the urban motorways say "Yes they have A10 in Amsterdam, but it is 2x2, has narrow lanes 2.9 m and 80 limit." From what I read here, I see this is not true - but I could not find pics of southern A10 with 4 lanes... Are there any other places on the A10, except for the southern which is currently being widened, and Coentunnel-A8, where A10 has more than 3 lanes of traffic?

Thank you in advance.
kubam4a1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9825
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Shoulder running is continuous at exits. So if there are normally 2x2 lanes for through traffic, shoulder running will provide 2x3 lanes. They double the merging lanes to allow traffic to enter the motorway while shoulder running is in operation. This means you have to merge twice instead of once if shoulder running is closed.

Shoulder running is not on narrower lanes, except when shoulder running is on the left side of the motorway. Right shoulder lanes have full width of 3.50 meters, otherwise it would be tricky for trucks.

You can see some shoulder running in operation in this video:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

kubam4a1 liked this post
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #9826
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubam4a1 View Post
Chris
Is it okay if I answer the questions too?

Quote:
I would like to ask a somehow dumb question concerning the shoulder running projects in Netherlands. Does a shoulder running provide with an extra regular lane, or only "lengthened" right turn lane so a main flow goes with regular number of lanes anyway?
I would be grateful if you gave some examples (ie video)
Here's some video footage I uploaded earlier for SSC. The shoulder running continues, it's not just between exits. I can't provide you with footage with shoulder running actually being done, only with the lane closed. I lost all my footage recently so I basically have nothing... Luckily I see that Chris DOES have some footage

Quote:
"Yes they have A10 in Amsterdam, but it is 2x2, has narrow lanes 2.9 m and 80 limit."
If they're referring to the Coen tunnel, they're partially right. Lanes are narrower (3,25 I believe) but expansion is on the way. The small tube with 2 lanes will become a tube with 2 reversible lanes. The speed limit is not 80, it's 100 in the tunnel, but likely will soon be lowered to 90 km/h.
There is a partial 80 km/h stretch west of Amsterdam, controlled with section control. But lanes are normal width there.

Quote:
From what I read here, I see this is not true - but I could not find pics of southern A10 with 4 lanes...
There is only one 4-lane stretch on the recently opened part on the southeast of Amsterdam. I assume that's what you meant with the southern part that was being widened, here's the location to be sure. The widening of this part was recently finished btw. The rest of the A10 has 3 lanes per direction.

Quote:
Are there any other places on the A10, except for the southern which is currently being widened, and Coentunnel-A8, where A10 has more than 3 lanes of traffic?
In the future the A10 on the southside between interchanges De Nieuwe Meer and Amstel will have more than 3 lanes. It will be a parallel system with 3 through lanes and only 1 parallel lane (which is ridiculous btw). It's a joint project with rail expansion there. The A10 might be put under the ground in a long tunnel
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #9827
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Leeuwarden bypass

The Leeuwarden bypass has been under construction for a while. A municipal project is the construction of the "Westelijke invalsweg", or western entrance road, a 2x2 road that connects N31 with Leeuwarden. This will become the main entrance to Leeuwarden from the west.

They've changed the technical design of an aqueduct under the Van Harinxma Canal, which means they are behind schedule due to a changed construction process. They are currently working 18 hours a day (from 6 am to midnight) and Saturdays as well. The project will be finished by late 2014.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Agnette liked this post
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #9828
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Den Bosch - Eindhoven

Fall is coming! This photo was taken a year ago, now it's widened to 2x3 lanes.

Old September 24th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #9829
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

^ Ah, so nice! .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #9830
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Duinpolderweg

Procedures for the construction of the new "Duinpolderweg" (Dune-Polder Road) are now proceeding into the phase of environmental impact assessment. A preferred alternative will be chosen next year.

The Duinpolderweg will connect N206 with A4. N206 is currently a high-standard two-lane road in Zuid-Holland province, but turns into a slow urban road with speed limits as low as 30 km/h and on-road cyclists at the border with Noord-Holland province.

The new road will connect with the new Hoofddorp-Zuid interchange with A4. The area will likely see massive subdivision development over the next few decades. 300,000 houses are projected to be constructed in the so-called "SMASH area" (a term for regional development in Schiphol-Amsterdam-Haarlemmermeer), most of it near this route.

possible alignment:

keokiracer liked this post
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #9831
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

I like a lot tunnels. I didn't think in a flat Holland there is a tunnel of more than 6 km. It is the longest tunnel in Netherlands: Western Scheldt Tunnel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Scheldt_Tunnel

- And other question: Do you know where is that pass? I like a lot.

AlexisMD liked this post

Last edited by javimix19; September 25th, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #9832
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That large photo is the Zelzate Tunnel in Belgium. The last photo is the same location as my current avatar, the A4 / HSR aqueduct at the border of Noord- & Zuid-Holland provinces near Roelofarendsveen.

javimix19 liked this post
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #9833
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

javimix19, could you please delete the large photo from your post? It barely fits on the screen and it's not a Dutch tunnel. Thanks!
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #9834
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
I like a lot tunnels. I didn't think in a flat Holland there is a tunnel of more than 6 km. It is the longest tunnel in Netherlands: Western Scheldt Tunnel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Scheldt_Tunnel

Is there a natural reason that the terrain in Zeeland is actually lighter in color than in Flanders, or was the Belgian imagery just taken at a different time of year than the Dutch? (OT, perhaps, but it's quite striking.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #9835
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

The border between Zeeuws-Vlaanderen and Belgium roughly marks the change in terrain from clay soil to sand. I'm not sure if that's the reason for the color differential in this particular photo, but I have seen other photos and imagery without the border drawn in where you could still make it out in a similar fashion. That would also explain why Noord-Brabant (around Bergen op Zoom) in that photo has the same color as Belgium: it, too, has sandy soil.

I should add that if you take that shot in summer, you won't be able to tell where the border is because all the farms are green on both sides. If you take the shot in winter, when the fields in Zeeland are plowed and barren, the transition from clay to sand is quite obviously visible.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #9836
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1, Amsterdam

Construction will commence on September 30 on a 4 kilometer segment of A1 near Amsterdam, westbound from the Diemen interchange (A9) to the Watergraafsmeer interchange (A10). The motorway will be widened from 3 to 4 lanes in the direction of Amsterdam. Widening works in the other direction are already well underway.

They will close the shoulder until mid-2014, which means there is no shoulder running available during that period. This will likely result in some more congestion than the other recent A1-A10 projects in Amsterdam. However, there is an alternate route available that has the same length, by taking A9 and A2 to Amsterdam. These routes are capable of absorbing the excess traffic from A1, because A9 got shoulder running in 2010.
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #9837
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A59 Waalwijk - 's-Hertogenbosch

All interchanges along A59 between Waalwijk and 's-Hertogenbosch will be either removed or reconstructed.

The A59 was constructed by twinning the N59, a result is a high frequency of (incomplete) interchanges. There used to be 9 exits over a distance of 14 kilometers.

Several interchanges will be removed and the other ones will be reconstructed into full interchanges. The narrow bridge across the canal will be replaced by a wider one with shoulders.

This stretch of A59 is an urbanized corridor, with fairly high volumes for 2x2 lanes, between 65.000 and 85.000 vehicles per day.

I filmed this stretch of motorway two years ago:

g.spinoza, Slagathor liked this post
Old September 26th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #9838
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15/A29 Vaanplein interchange, Rotterdam

An aerial photo of the Vaanplein interchange between A15 and A29 in Rotterdam.

image hosted on flickr

javimix19, Groningen NL, snowdog liked this post
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #9839
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
All interchanges along A59 between Waalwijk and 's-Hertogenbosch will be either removed or reconstructed.

The A59 was constructed by twinning the N59, a result is a high frequency of (incomplete) interchanges. There used to be 9 exits over a distance of 14 kilometers.

Several interchanges will be removed and the other ones will be reconstructed into full interchanges. The narrow bridge across the canal will be replaced by a wider one with shoulders.

This stretch of A59 is an urbanized corridor, with fairly high volumes for 2x2 lanes, between 65.000 and 85.000 vehicles per day.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UgrCipg.png[IMG]

I filmed this stretch of motorway two years ago:

[youtube]R4Q-nv56zBE[youtube]
Shame imo, will greatly reduce the mobility to some areas, some neghborhoods now next to the exit will have to travel at least 6 minutes more .

Can the roads like the N261 cope with all the extra traffic from the old exits?

imo they shouldn't waste money mocking up anything between Waalwijk and Den Bosch, but instead improve knp. Hooipolder!
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #9840
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A few new roads will be constructed to handle local traffic. Nowadays A59 handles a large amount of short-distance traffic because there are no alternate routes. All this weaving leads to accidents and congestion.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands