daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:13 PM   #9881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

The current Galecopper Bridge opened to traffic in two phases in 1971 and 1976. The current 12-lane bridge replaced a 4-lane bridge.

It is currently being renovated. The pavement on the bridge is very old and needs replacement. It is very noisy and uncomfortable by Dutch standards. It is part of a nationwide scheme to strengthen steel bridges, most of which were built in the 1970s.

The Galecopper Bridge will be strengthened and the steel deck will be replaced in 2014-2015. The bridge will also be jacked up by 70 centimeters to improve shipping clearance. Steel bridges are flexible enough to allow such jacking without needing to replace the entire bridgehead. The cost of this renovation is € 80 million.

As you can see in the video they had some problems with the sheet piling, which was harder than anticipated and also produced much more noise than anticipated, so they stopped the works at night.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:38 PM   #9882
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

I like a lot Afsluitdijk civil work. This is one of the man made best infraestructure in the world I think.

- I read in Wikipedia that causeway was open between 1927 and 1933, but do you know when motorway A7 was open?

None of the images are mine. All photos taken by google. Credits to their owners.

snowdog liked this post
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:46 PM   #9883
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

In 1932 the gap in the Afsluitdijk was closed and the road on it opened in the same year as a normal (non-highway) road with tolls. The tolls were abolished 1 year later. The first stretch of highway was opened in 1969 and from december 3rd 1975 the entire Afsluitdijk had a highway going across.
There is a speed limit of only 70 near the sluices on both sides though.

Source (in Dutch)
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:39 PM   #9884
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A28 Utrecht - Amersfoort

The A28 motorway was recently widened from 4 to 6 lanes, almost entirely eliminating traffic congestion on this key stretch of road. It was completed in the summer, when left shoulder running went into operation around Amersfoort.

The situation around Amersfoort is temporary, and will be widened to 2x4 lanes when the Hoevelaken cloverleaf interchange will be replaced by something better, however this will not be completed until 2022.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, SturmBeobachter liked this post
Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:46 AM   #9885
ChasingCars

Likes (Received): 167

Just an ordinary thursday morning in The Netherlands. Weather is fine, no rain or snow.
And still, morning rushhour traffic has been jammed with a result of over 240 km of traffic jams. See link http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/3591765/...s-normaal.html (only in Dutch)

The bad news is that apparently, just a few accidents, occurring during peak hours, can result in serious jams spreading throughout the country.

The good news: as recent as 5 years ago, 240 km of traffic jams during a thursday morning rushhour would have been cold normal. Nowadays, with the economic downturn having its effect on car traffic as well as the large scale investments in motorways, 240 km is almost twice a normal morning rushhour, which counts around 150 km.
ChasingCars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:02 PM   #9886
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Regarding you comment I have to say that I have an image in my brain that Holland has a lot of traffic jams. I see a lot of images with jams in motorways of Holland. A lot of this images were from the 70's.

- How is the situation now? Holland has a lot of international traffic, but I don't know if is the problem.

With the improvements of motorways and diversification of transport (more bikes, more trains...) I expect that situation now is better, but I don't know.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:41 PM   #9887
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Holland has a lot of international traffic
I think the situation is similar in the entire Netherlands .
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:07 PM   #9888
ChasingCars

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post

Regarding you comment I have to say that I have an image in my brain that Holland has a lot of traffic jams. I see a lot of images with jams in motorways of Holland. A lot of this images were from the 70's.

- How is the situation now? Holland has a lot of international traffic, but I don't know if is the problem.

With the improvements of motorways and diversification of transport (more bikes, more trains...) I expect that situation now is better, but I don't know.
The situation has changed a lot, although (especially) the motorway network remains viable to disruptions. Like today, a few accidents on some of the main 'arteries' of the Dutch motorway network make that drivers all take the standard detour, thus creating even more bottlenecks.

The international traffic is not the only problem. There are numerous causes to mention, in my opinion the most important are:
- The geography: lots of rivers that are crossed by bridges and tunnels, many of whom are notorious congestors (although mostly the bridges are being renovated or replaced these days)
- Port of Rotterdam: lots of (international) truck traffic, that is mainly driving an easterly course to the Ruhrgebiet area in Germany and beyond
- A lot of large cities very closely situated in a very small country: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht, Almere, but also the city of Eindhoven are all within an hour drive from eachother, making that the traffic is spread over a very small (short) strech of road (actually the same happens with train traffic in The Netherlands)
- Dutch people tend to live outside of the larger cities but do work in the city, causing a huge 'woon-werkverkeer' (traffic from home to the office and back). This is the result of years of planology by subsequent Dutch governments, who named this phenomenon 'gebundelde deconcentratie', which means something like 'living concentrated in urban area's but outside of the large cities'. As a result, there are cities where lots of people live but where there are almost no jobs (Almere is the best example).

javimix19 liked this post

Last edited by ChasingCars; October 3rd, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM   #9889
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Gebundelde deconcentratie was a huge mistake.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:32 PM   #9890
ChasingCars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Gebundelde deconcentratie was a huge mistake.
Definately it was. It has ruined lots of nice villages with large scale urban area's that all look the same (the infamous 'Vinex locations).
Problem was that when the cities started to 'drain' in the 70's, no action was undertaken to make the city a more attractive place to live. Instead, everybody moved to the suburban area's.
Nowadays an opposite movement is taking place, where everybody wants to live in the city, even after finishing studies and even after having children (like myself).
But maybe we're going a bit off topic now...

Slagathor liked this post
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:38 PM   #9891
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 average speed check

The average speed check installation on A2 Utrecht - Amsterdam (5 lanes, 100 km/h) has resulted in 336,000 speeding fines in 4 months.

While this sounds like a whole lot, it actually isn't. 336,000 fines / 122 days = 2,750 fines per day. The average AADT on this stretch is 80,000 vehicles per day (one way), in other words, 96.6% of traffic does not get fined despite the ridiculous speed limit.

Nationwide, 3.4 million traffic fines were issued between May and August 2013 (4 months). 10% of those fines were issued on A2 between Utrecht and Amsterdam. All in all, 730,200 motorists were fined at various section control locations in the country.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:20 PM   #9892
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Is the system on 24/7? It looks a lot like Italian Tutor system, which is not always on.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:30 PM   #9893
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, it is similar to Tutor (Italy), section control (Austria) and SPECS (United Kingdom).

But contrary to Italy, the average speed check installation in the Netherlands is almost always employed on motorways with a speed limit that is too low for conditions or road layout.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM   #9894
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
While this sounds like a whole lot, it actually isn't. 336,000 fines / 122 days = 2,750 fines per day. The average AADT on this stretch is 80,000 vehicles per day (one way), in other words, 96.6% of traffic does not get fined despite the ridiculous speed limit.
It is a lot, in the same 4 months in last year 420.000 fines were written on ALL motorway ''average speed sections''. This year it's 730.206.

Quote:
section fines
A2 Amsterdam-Utrecht 335.921
A4 Leidschendam 306.671
A12 Utrecht 27.099
A12 Harmelen-Woerden 18.360
A58 Bergen op Zoom-Roosendaal 17.136
A4 Hoofddorp-Nieuw Vennep 16.320
A12 Den Haag-Voorburg 8.576
Westerscheldetunnel 1325
Zeelandbrug 647
A10 Amsterdam 119
A13 Rotterdam 4
A20 Rotterdam 0
It's a complete disgrace, both the A2 and the A4 are:

Flat
Straight
Well lit
Through grassland/away from nature/away from major built up areas
Clear to see ahead
Wide ( 2x3 and 2x5 lanes respectively)

100km/h is a plain retarded limit on those 2 roads thought up by morons who belong in a clinic for mental illness (imho :P).

pps.
The A20 and A13 sections were shut down for maintenance/refitting hence the low scores.

I think 720k fines in 4 months on just the average speed checks sections is a massive amount, that's more than 2 million per year if the trend continues.

Last edited by snowdog; October 3rd, 2013 at 06:00 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:36 PM   #9895
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

You must be getting loads...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:46 PM   #9896
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Probably not cause he knows where the speedtraps are
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:03 PM   #9897
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Actually, I've had just 2 in 4 years of driving, a camera caught me doing 56 or 57 (@50) before correction about 2 years ago.

And in Germany 10 km/h to fast on the autobahn .

I've also been caught speeding by police officers twice ( though that's even more in the past), but luckily they're actual people who let me off with a warning after a lecture, unlike automated cashing machines...

<20km/h to fast on a motorway and no normal copper will bat an eye...

Quote:
Probably not cause he knows where the speedtraps are
In known areas, yep, otherwise, there's ''flitsnav'', highly recommend that app , also warns for mobile speed traps if they're submitted on flitsservice, otherwise you need a hawkeye for watching the side of the road and check your mirror regularly for VROS ( unmarked traffic cops) if you're really speeding ( I usually try to stay within the <40km/h mulder limit these days). You can quite comfortably always do Vmax + 20 everywhere if you know the environment on motorways and autowegen (express roads).

Last edited by snowdog; October 3rd, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:14 PM   #9898
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingCars View Post
Nowadays, with the economic downturn having its effect on car traffic
Many people think traffic congestion is down due to the economy, but actually the amount of kilometers driven on the national road network reached a record high in 2012. Overall driving may be down or flat (especially measured per capita), but traffic on the motorway network is still growing.

mileage on the "rijkswegen":

MichiH, keokiracer, ChasingCars liked this post
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:22 PM   #9899
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15, Botlek Bridge, Rotterdam

A pano of the new Botlek Bridge in Rotterdam, taken today. They are performing days of continuous concrete pouring to erect the pylons. It is said to be the largest lift span bridge in Europe. (of course, you need to be careful with claims like that).

image hosted on flickr

botlek_pano_2048 by Mark van der Meer, on Flickr

keokiracer, snowdog liked this post
Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:00 PM   #9900
ChasingCars

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
It's a complete disgrace, both the A2 and the A4 are:

Flat
Straight
Well lit
Through grassland/away from nature/away from major built up areas
Clear to see ahead
Wide ( 2x3 and 2x5 lanes respectively)

100km/h is a plain retarded limit on those 2 roads thought up by morons who belong in a clinic for mental illness (imho :P).

This is what happens if local governments are allowed to have their say in large infrastructural projects, be it roads, railways, airports or whatever.
In fact, the biggest NIMBY's are the local governments that are 'affected' by these infra projects. Their ability to co-decide or even block these projects is killing, for it causes these projects to finish far beyons schedule and above projected cost, with no advantage for the general public at all, in fact even creating a 'less than perfect' situation like on the A2 motorway.

A project like the A2 widening is of national (or even European) interest, it should not be interfered by some local government.

snowdog liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands