daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #9901
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A29 south of the Sabina motorway interchange (A4/A29/A59) has been renumbered to A4 recently, in anticipation of the A4 opening around Steenbergen in 2015.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #9902
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Are you changing the typography on the signs or it is just because of the sticker covering the old A29 red rectangle?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #9903
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's a sticker, this is the original sign:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Reivajar liked this post
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #9904
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N236 Weesp

The Weesp Bridge across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal was entirely replaced last night. They shipped out the old span and installed the new span during the night. The new span was assembled nearby over the last couple of months. The 1937 bridge had to be replaced to allow taller ships to pass through Europe's busiest canal.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog liked this post
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #9905
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2, Maastricht

Helicopter view of the A2 tunnel (King Willem-Alexander Tunnel) in Maastricht:

snowdog, Atmosphere liked this post
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #9906
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Delft - Schiedam

New aerial photos of the A4 under construction between Delft and Schiedam.

http://defotograaf.eu/blog/a4-delft-schiedam-3/

Too bad they are installing huge noise barriers on the interchange. I think this is the first motorway-to-motorway interchange in the Netherlands with noise barriers like these.

Old October 7th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9907
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Like a 10 meter noise barrier is gonna do anything if you live on the 14th floor of an apartment building.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #9908
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Badhoevedorp

Preliminary construction on the realigned A9 around Badhoevedorp begins this week. The first works are the demolition of acquired buildings, WWII explosive removal and reconfiguration of cables and pipelines.

The project will remove A9 from the town of Badhoevedorp and increase the number of lanes from 4 to 6. The current 2x2 A9 carries 97,000 vehicles per day. The new 2x3 A9 will open in 2017.

map:
http://i.imgur.com/1pJuuaV.jpg
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #9909
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Like a 10 meter noise barrier is gonna do anything if you live on the 14th floor of an apartment building.
It actually helps reduce noise propagation on diagonal directions.

Slagathor liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #9910
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Lienden Bridge

A new bridge near the village of Lienden (Gelderland province) opened to traffic today. It's not on a major road, but it was built as part of the "room for the river" programme, where they expand floodplains of rivers to handle excess discharges. The bridge will provide access to some remote farms built on terps that will keep it accessible during peak water levels in the winter and spring.

statistics;

* 12 pylons
* 220 meters in length
* built in 37 weeks

Old October 7th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #9911
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N213 Vlietpolderplein, Naaldwijk

This monster turbo roundabout will open to traffic later this month. Today was the ceremonial last asphalt pouring by the deputy of transportation of the Zuid-Holland province.

It's part of the so-called "3-in-1 project" that replaces several traffic lights with mega turbo roundabouts, in the "Westland", an area that is nearly entirely build-up with greenhouses.

Suburbanist, KIWIKAAS, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #9912
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2117

Does it come with instructions book?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #9913
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They seem kind of confusing at first glance, but the concept is well-thought. It relies heavily on good signage and good road markings.

The idea is that you pick the right lane before entering the roundabout, but you do not switch lanes after. It is designed in such a way you cannot switch to another direction on the roundabout.

Because of its complexity and heavy traffic flows (the design capacity of such a turbo roundabout is about 40,000 vehicles per day) the roundabout is controlled by traffic lights. But it has a much higher capacity for left-turning traffic and through traffic than a regular set of traffic lights.
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #9914
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Dutch roads have their problems, but one thing they do very well is to adopt consistent pre-selection lane signaling on intersections, roundabouts and what not. You don't need to second guess lanes, and when turning lanes are present signage is often clear.

Only minor roads have those traffic lights where you get a green but still have to watch out of oncoming traffic, for instance.

Wilhem275, lafreak84 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #9915
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N61 Schoondijke

The first subproject of the N61 improvement in Zeeland province opened to traffic today. It's the Schoondijke bypass, part of both N676 and N61. Construction took 11 months.

snowdog liked this post
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #9916
Дмитрий Кудряшо

Likes (Received): 332

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Weesp Bridge across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal was entirely replaced last night.
Amsterdamsebrug also lifts up? His so leave or renovation going on?
September 18, 2013:
image hosted on flickr

IMGP6469 by kudrdima, on Flickr

snowdog liked this post
Дмитрий Кудряшо no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #9917
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Because of its complexity and heavy traffic flows (the design capacity of such a turbo roundabout is about 40,000 vehicles per day) the roundabout is controlled by traffic lights. But it has a much higher capacity for left-turning traffic and through traffic than a regular set of traffic lights.
How does that work then ?

Surely normal traffic lights give less conflict, since you can do 2 left and 2 right turns per ''green phase''.

Eg. 2 left 2 right x2
And straight + right x2.

4 total phases. Of which more than 2 allow right turns at any time. Or 1 side each all turns, which also gives 4 phases, but with cars spening less time on the intersection...

Traffic lights defeat the whole point of a (turbo) roundabout.

Why not traffic lights with bypasses for right turns on the side ?

So only straight and left traffic have to wait for traffic lights ?

Left turn traffic capacity can be increased simply by longer and more turning lanes, and playing with the lights phase duration ( or smart phases depending on traffic flows) ?

Not to mention a car will take much longer to clear the ''confict area'' than on a classic intersection ?

I really do not see how this is in any way better than a normal junction with improved capacity for the turning lanes and more efficient programming of the green phases...

What is wrong with this deisgn ? http://goo.gl/maps/0kGII ( ignoring the fact that jams happen towards the motorway when the motorway nearby is jammed, same would happen to the turbo roundabout when one of the 4 sideroads is jammed)

Last edited by snowdog; October 8th, 2013 at 02:54 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #9918
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
How does that work then ?

Surely normal traffic lights give less conflict, since you can do 2 left and 2 right turns per ''green phase''.

Eg. 2 left 2 right x2
And straight + right x2.

4 total phases. Of which more than 2 allow right turns at any time. Or 1 side each all turns, which also gives 4 phases, but with cars spening less time on the intersection...

Traffic lights defeat the whole point of a (turbo) roundabout.

Why not traffic lights with bypasses for right turns on the side ?

So only straight and left traffic have to wait for traffic lights ?

Left turn traffic capacity can be increased simply by longer and more turning lanes, and playing with the lights phase duration ( or smart phases depending on traffic flows) ?

Not to mention a car will take much longer to clear the ''confict area'' than on a classic intersection ?

I really do not see how this is in any way better than a normal junction with improved capacity for the turning lanes and more efficient programming of the green phases...

What is wrong with this deisgn ? http://goo.gl/maps/0kGII ( ignoring the fact that jams happen towards the motorway when the motorway nearby is jammed, same would happen to the turbo roundabout when one of the 4 sideroads is jammed)
Sharp turns mainly and the fact that only 2/3 relations can move at the same time, with the weird big ass roundabout more relations can move at the same time improving flow. They also reduce the amount of conflicting flows, massively improving safety and the chance of collision as bassicly all flows are separated.

I know they really look weird but I've used one of these roundabouts near Pijnacker and I found them really smooth and enjoyable.
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #9919
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Sharp turns mainly and the fact that only 2/3 relations can move at the same time, with the weird big ass roundabout more relations can move at the same time improving flow. They also reduce the amount of conflicting flows, massively improving safety and the chance of collision as bassicly all flows are separated.

I know they really look weird but I've used one of these roundabouts near Pijnacker and I found them really smooth and enjoyable.
I'm still a bit sceptical. I don't see how it gives less conflict, since a left turn from one direction even conflicts with one from the opposite direction now, unlike with classic intersections.

The one near Pijnacker always struck me as ''wait for red light for ages while nobody is coming''.

And the ''sharp turns'' can be fixed by making classic junctions bigger ?

I find it a shame we don't use normal junctions, but with bypasses for right turns that merge in after turning like http://goo.gl/maps/Dezew .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #9920
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

It would be interesting to see an actual computer traffic flow simulation on it.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands