daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #9941
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Will the Utrecht-Muiderberg Almere dissappear?

Last edited by da_scotty; October 14th, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
da_scotty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #9942
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

That connector is only barely visible in the animation, but it certainly is there

Last edited by keokiracer; October 14th, 2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: I fail hard
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #9943
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5839

You used the wrong language here.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan

keokiracer liked this post
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #9944
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Thanks. I thought I was in another thread
Old October 14th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #9945
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Start Stops per year in cities

http://magnatec.castrol.com/campaign...art-index.html
http://www.at5.nl/artikelen/112840/a...r-in-amsterdam

Dramatic result from Amsterdam, where drivers have to stop their car 22320 times per year on average. Tomtom provided the data. This is much worse than in London, Sydney, New York, Warsaw, etc...
Amsterdam is a catastrophe to keep moving with a car!

Rotterdam did much better, with only 6120 stops. And even there I see pointless traffic lights every day.

This shows that as a driver, Amsterdam should be avoided at all costs, like a black hole on the map! Unless you are very, very patient and rich. Rotterdam might have worse motorways congestion wise, but at least traffic in the city itself is much better flowing.

Last edited by snowdog; October 14th, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #9946
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The guy who designed this hotel...

... also wrote this book

[Sorry, post-vacation catch-up on the country threads here]

And yet, if your current signature is to be believed, that hotel is by definition superior to, say, the Parthenon, Notre-Dame de Paris or the Empire State Building....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Slagathor liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #9947
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A large amount of trees have been cut to make way for the A6 widening. This stretch of A6 will be widened from 4 to 8 lanes, using a local-express setup. Construction will begin next year. Most of the trees were planted in the late 1970s when this part of Flevoland was drained and developed. It used to be the bottom of the sea. The trees are cut before the breeding season starts next year.

image hosted on flickr

S1030053_A6_close by JackBauer1350, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S1030050_Brandhout_A6 by JackBauer1350, on Flickr
Random, off-topic, just-out-of-curiosity question: how shallow was the water that was drained - can polders be created in deep water?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #9948
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Random, off-topic, just-out-of-curiosity question: how shallow was the water that was drained - can polders be created in deep water?
The lowest point in Flevoland is -8m below sea level, I think.

To drain a polder, first you build the dykes/levees, then you pump water like crazy out of the enclosure while building permanent drainage canals and pump systems. You then wait for the surface to settle down, which takes up to 2 years (once the soil is dry it will subside somehow, in certain places that effect is larger so it sinks deeper).

The major problem creating a polder in deep water would be the amount of filling to be done there. The recent Maasvlakte 2 project is somehow like that: expanding the Port of Rotterdam outwards into the North Sea, but the reclaimed land is actually quite high, at the cost of immense dragging and filling operations. Theoretically they could build dykes, but since they are out in the ocean it is cheaper jsut to fill the whole thing up instead of exposing billions of euros on new infrastructure to the front defenses against the North Sea.
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #9949
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

I think the Maasvlakte 2 sits at +5 meters (so that's above sea level) on average. And yes, it took a shitload of sand to get there.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #9950
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

It took considerable time before developments began after the polders became dry land. Southern Flevoland was the last part of the province to become dry land, in 1968. However, cultivation and urbanization didn't began until the second half of the 1970s, the first houses in Almere were built in 1976.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #9951
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The lowest point in Flevoland is -8m below sea level, I think.

To drain a polder, first you build the dykes/levees, then you pump water like crazy out of the enclosure while building permanent drainage canals and pump systems. You then wait for the surface to settle down, which takes up to 2 years (once the soil is dry it will subside somehow, in certain places that effect is larger so it sinks deeper).

The major problem creating a polder in deep water would be the amount of filling to be done there. The recent Maasvlakte 2 project is somehow like that: expanding the Port of Rotterdam outwards into the North Sea, but the reclaimed land is actually quite high, at the cost of immense dragging and filling operations. Theoretically they could build dykes, but since they are out in the ocean it is cheaper jsut to fill the whole thing up instead of exposing billions of euros on new infrastructure to the front defenses against the North Sea.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, it's actually the seabed that becomes dry land, thanks to dikes and draining?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #9952
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7 + A8 Purmerend - Amsterdam

Procedures have been initiated to construct shoulder running along A7 and A8 between exit Purmerend-Zuid and exit Oostzaan (12 km).

There already is shoulder running in the opposite direction along A7 towards Purmerend (northbound / outbound).

Current layout of the motorways;

* A7 Purmerend-Zuid - Zaandam interchange: 2x2 (northbound shldr running)
* A8 Zaandam interchange - Oostzaan: 2x4

The existing northbound shoulder running will be extended south to the gas station near Oostzaan to improve traffic flow.

The cost is projected at € 25 million.

A long-term widening of A8 to 2x6 lanes has also been proposed (Zaandam interchange - Coenplein interchange).

map:
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9953
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N201

According to local media, Utrecht province is considering widening a short stretch of the N201 provincial road to 2x2 lanes. It's only a short segment of 2 kilometers between N402 and A2, but it is a high volume road. N201 is currently a two-lane road with 25.000 vehicles per day at this location.

N201 has long been a problematic road. The motorway A80 was proposed to run along side it in the 1970s, but it hasn't been constructed except for the A27 interchange near Hilversum. All of N201 is a high-volume road with frequent congestion and no alternate routes for traffic between the towns and cities along the road.

Nearly all of N201 carries more than 20.000 vehicles per day, except for Uithoorn - Mijdrecht, which carries 16.000 vehicles per day. However, N201 in Aalsmeer carries over 40.000 vehicles per day and has been realigned recently.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog liked this post
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #9954
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

The original Brooklyn (Breukelen) is on that map.
(Seriously - that's where the name comes from. For that matter, there's a New Utrecht Avenue in Brooklyn....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #9955
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

And Harlem...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #9956
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Harlem's not in Brooklyn.
Neither is Hoboken (New Jersey or Province of Antwerp).

Eastern New York State, and bits of New Jersey, are chock full of Dutch or altered-Dutch place names. Can't find a good list on line though.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #9957
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Harlem's not in Brooklyn.
Neither is Hoboken (New Jersey or Province of Antwerp).

Eastern New York State, and bits of New Jersey, are chock full of Dutch or altered-Dutch place names. Can't find a good list on line though.
I know that. I've actually been in Harlem, at the time when the safest way to go there is to do guided bus tours. Even been in a Baptist Church there...
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #9958
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Harlem = Haarlem
Wall Street = Walstraat
Broadway = Brede Weg
etc. etc.
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #9959
Road_UK
BANNED

There's a Broad Street in Birmingham (UK not Alabama)

I'm planning to go again in April. Hire a car and start in New York, and visit friends in Ravenna, NY, my aunt in Bergenfield, NJ, then to Virginia and visit a good friend who's also in Mayrhofen twice a year, and finally Hardinsburgh, KY as I got invited there to go hiking at the Red River Gorge. If I have time, I'll also do Indianapolis.

You know Michael, from NJ to VA I'm actually passing your neck of the woods. It'd be a great pleasure for you to discuss life and roads over a beverage of something...
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #9960
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Of course!
Let me know privately when your dates are definite!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands