daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #9961
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Local councils want 80km/h speed limit back on A13 as they allege pollution doubled

This is just out on the news

Quote:
Air pollution has more than doubled on the A13 near the Rotterdam Overschie area since the speed limit was raised from 80kmh to 100kmh, according to the environment service DCMR.

The speed limit was increased in July 2012 as part of the government's plan to raise the limit on 60% of the nation's motorways. Transport minister Melanie Schulz van Haegen said at the time the higher limit would have a minimal effect on pollution and noise.

DCMR measurements show pollution is 2.5 times higher in the Overschie area since the speed went up.

Rotterdam council, environmental group Milieudefensie and local action groups say the minister ignored the health of those living near the motorway when she increased the speed limit.

They are going to court on Wednesday in an attempt to have the limit returned to 80kmh, reports Trouw.
- See more at: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive....88j9ESLK.dpuf

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #9962
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Of course!
Let me know privately when your dates are definite!

Will do!

Now let's get back to work before the boss starts complaining...

A few days ago I drove over the Afsluitdijk on my way to Haarlem and cut across via Heerhugowaard (Sirhugoworth) and Alkmaar. Can we expect a motorway link between A9 at Alkmaar and A7 at Middenmeer anytime soon?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #9963
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

- See more at: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive....88j9ESLK.dpuf
What's the science on this? The reason for the nationwide 55 mph (88 km/h) in the US from about 1973 to 87 was that it was (supposedly) the most fuel-efficient speed. But is there a correlation between fuel-efficiency and air pollution? (And I can't believe it's as cut-and-dried as "doubles when limit is raised from 80 to 100"....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #9964
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
******* Frikken press, they can never get it right...

The increase in pollution was 2,5 times as high as expected, so not the total amount of pollution itself was 2,5x higher!

And the increase itself being 2,5 times as high doesn't have to be alarming either. If they projected a .1 increase then it's now a .25 increase. It doesn't have to be much. Exact numbers aren't given, which makes me believe that it's a very small increase that they (Milieudefensie etc.) wanted to overexaggerate to get more people on their side...

Last edited by keokiracer; October 15th, 2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Pardon my swearing ;)
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #9965
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

This is exactly why you shouldn't trust the media.

Pollution did not double
Emissions from traffic did not double.

So what did double? The projected increase of emissions related to traffic on A13 at 100 km/h vs 80 km/h was 2.5 times higher than expected. The total concentrations only increased marginally.

Typical alarmist nonsense.

devo liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #9966
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
******* press, they can never get it right...

The increase in pollution was 2,5 times as high as expected, so not the total amount of pollution itself was 2,5x higher!

And the increase itself being 2,5 times as high doesn't have to be alarming either. If they projected a .1 increase then it's now a .25 increase. It doesn't have to be much. Exact numbers aren't given, which makes me believe that it's a very small increase that they (Milieudefensie etc.) wanted to overexaggerate to get more people on their side...
Language Timothy

In Austria they've got some sort of a Co 2 metre. If the levels of pollution are high, they drop the max speed from 130 to 100.
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #9967
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Can we expect a motorway link between A9 at Alkmaar and A7 at Middenmeer anytime soon?
Nope...

A bit south, there will be a connection upgraded, but not to motorway. It's the N243/N507, formerly known as N23. Which goes all the way east to Kampen, near Zwolle. Basically some traffic lights will become turboroundabouts, and there's a 3,5 km new alignement near Heerhugowaard. The most eastern part will feature a short 2x2 stretch, and the rest will become 2x1. So no overtaking possibilities either
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #9968
Road_UK
BANNED

A pain in the ass, that road. Next time I'll go via Amsterdam.
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #9969
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Language Timothy
Excuse, me:
*frikken

Quote:
In Austria they've got some sort of a Co 2 metre. If the levels of pollution are high, they drop the max speed from 130 to 100.
We used to have that near Tilburg on the A58. When air pollution would become too bad they'd lower the speed limit from 120/100 to 80 km/h. Usually the police would be very happy with that measure, because they'd always place a speedradar each direction to cash in. Since no one was keeping to the ridiculously low speed limit of 80. I think that system is gone now though, I don't think the changeable speedsigns are still there.
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #9970
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Excuse, me:
*frikken

We used to have that near Tilburg on the A58. When air pollution would become too bad they'd lower the speed limit from 120/100 to 80 km/h. Usually the police would be very happy with that measure, because they'd always place a speedradar each direction to cash in. Since no one was keeping to the ridiculously low speed limit of 80. I think that system is gone now though, I don't think the changeable speedsigns are still there.
That's the problem with you youngsters. I don't swear, drink and smoke, but I was really pissed off when I left my ******* cigarettes in the pub last night.

In Austria police are out in numbers when they put the 100 sign on.
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #9971
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A58 at Tilburg had a Dynamax trial where they would lower the speed limit from 120 to 80 km/h to improve air quality.

Results:

concentration:
* NOx: -4.4 g/m
* PM10: -0.6 g/m

The limits for these pollutants are 40.0 g/m. The effect on particles was negligible, the effect on nitrogen concentrations was somewhat larger because traffic has a higher share out of the total concentration than with particles. It is still small (just over 10% of the limit).

A speed reduction from 120 to 80 km/h resulted in lower noise levels of 0.2 dB (0.4 dB in theory but it wasn't enforced with section control).

keokiracer, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #9972
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
That's the problem with you youngsters. I don't swear, drink and smoke, but I was really pissed off when I left my ******* cigarettes in the pub last night.
This joke is well-known over here

fyi: I don't drink and smoke either. I do swear though. A lot

Thanks for the info Chris
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #9973
Road_UK
BANNED

I do smoke and drink (casually)
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #9974
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Drink moderately, have never smoked in my life, swear a bit too much (particularly in the privacy of my car) and occasionally inadvertently, especially in Dutch. ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #9975
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Amersfoort

A tender has been awarded to Grontmij to develop the environmental impact assessment for a temporary widening of eastbound A1 around the city of Amersfoort. This segment from the Bunschoten exit to the Hoevelaken motorway interchange will be widened from 2 to 3 eastbound lanes.

The widening is short-term, and will bridge a gap between two major projects. First, the A1 will be widened from the Eemnes motorway interchange (A27) near Hilversum to the Bunschoten exit. This segment will be widened from 2x2 to 2x4 lanes. However, the adjacent project of reconstructing the Hoevelaken interchange and widening connecting stretches of motorway to 2x4 lanes has been delayed and will not open until 2023 or so.

Therefor, there will be a gap of 7 years with extreme congestion at the Bunschoten exit where A1 would otherwise narrow from 4 to 2 lanes while traffic volumes do not drop at this location. This stretch of A1 carries around 100.000 vehicles per day.

It is planned to open the third lane in 2015, which seems like quite an ambitious schedule considering that no procedures have been initiated yet.

snowdog liked this post
Old October 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #9976
ChrisZwolle
Road user

trucking

Road Authority Rijkswaterstaat conducted an annual survey among over 1000 truckers about their opinion of the motorways.

Truckers in general are very satisfied with Rijkswaterstaat (84%), traffic safety (82%), road signage (98%) road quality (87%), lighting (87%) and lane width (88%).

However, they are far less satisfied about the quality of parking space, parking capacity and social safety along motorway rest areas. Less than 35% of the truckers are satisfied about these aspects.

Truckers are highly satisfied about traffic information and management, 91% is satisfied about the graphical traffic information (GRIPs) and 94% is satisfied about motorway traffic management (MTM). Opinions are more divergent on traffic congestion information, especially the cause of congestion, traffic information and information about alternate routes.

54% of the truckers are satisfied about the traffic flow on Dutch motorways, but this varied a lot by region. 95% are satisfied about shoulder running and 91% about truck lanes. However truckers are less satisfied about passing bans (33%), as would be expected from their point of view. Truckers opinions also diverge about the topic of truck breakdowns, there is less satisfaction about options and safety to handle breakdowns.

The survey has been held 8 times since 2002.

keokiracer, snowdog, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #9977
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

54% of the truckers are satisfied about the traffic flow on Dutch motorways, but this varied a lot by region
Do you have the per region statistiscs, and if so, can you post them or refer me to them ?
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #9978
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Overijssel mobility

Statistics show the national trend of a slower growth of mobility also occurs in Overijssel province. 12.8 billion kilometers were traveled in Overijssel in 2012. The total national mileage is 186 billion kilometers.

Mobility growth in Overijssel is slightly above the national average. This was different in 2004-2006 and 2008-2009 when mobility growth in Overijssel was substantially above the national average.

Out of all kilometers traveled, 75% are by car (55% driver, 20% passenger) with a declining carpooling share, which is similar to national trends, and even international trends (carpooling is declining in Canada and the United States as well). 9% of travel is by bicycle and 6% by train. Only 1% of the traveled mileage is by bus, even walking has a higher share (2%). Also 1% is by moped and 6% is "other" (not specified).

When expressed in the share of the number of trips, driving is most popular at 50%, followed by cycling at 32% (above the national average) and walking at 15%. Only 1.9% of all trips in Overijssel province are by public transport.

http://www.overijssel.nl/overijssel/...id/mobiliteit/
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #9979
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Noord-Holland projects

Some major news today. Minister Schultz and regional partners have announced the widening of several motorways in Noord-Holland province, north of Amsterdam.

€ 300 million will be available for the A7-A8 corridor widening. This will entail a widening of A7 to 2x4 lanes and A8 to 2x6 lanes. This money will likely not be available prior to 2020-2025, so they will implement shoulder running as a temporary measure in 2015-2016.

Another major project is the extension of the A8 from Westzaan to the A9 motorway near Heemskerk. This will be a provincial road project, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a 2x2 100 km/h expressway.

Additionally, a study will be launched on how to improve A9 between Badhoevedorp and Alkmaar. This stretch recently got shoulder running nearly everywhere, but is in need of a definitive solution after 2020.

lafreak84, MichiH liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 17th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #9980
Road_UK
BANNED

I'd like to see a A9 extension to the A7 at Middenmeer to make a better connection between the north and Haarlem avoiding Amsterdam.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands