daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #9981
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Another major project is the extension of the A8 from Westzaan to the A9 motorway near Heemskerk. This will be a provincial road project, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a 2x2 100 km/h expressway.
So it will not be numbered A8...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #9982
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

N8 seems likely. It's not uncommon for provinces to keep the original national road number after the road has been transferred (downloaded in Ontario lingo) to a provincial government. N34 and N69 are currently owned by the provinces.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #9983
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7 widening

It's interesting to take a more in-depth look at the planned projects. I'll start with A7.

A7 is currently a motorway with 2x2 lanes and northbound shoulder running from the Zaandam motorway interchange to Purmerend. Shoulder running ends at the Purmerend-Zuid exit.

The plan is to widen A7 from 2x2 to 2x4 lanes between Zaandam and Purmerend-Zuid and then gradually reduce the number of lanes to 2x2 north of the Purmerend-Noord exit.

Purmerend is home to the somewhat famous Purmerend curve. The curve looks very tight on maps, but in reality it's doable to drive 120 km/h there.

Funding of € 300 million will be available in 2023. However, southbound shoulder running is planned as a temporary relief in 2015-2016.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer liked this post
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #9984
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A8 Zaandam - Amsterdam

The A8 widening will be combined with the A7 widening because these stretches have a lot of influence on each other's traffic flow.

A8 will be widened from 2x4 lanes to 2x6 lanes. This will be the first segment with 6 non-divided lanes each way in the Netherlands (not counting approaches to interchanges).

A8 was originally constructed as a 2x2 motorway in 1966. It was widened to 2x3 lanes in 1990 and a 4th lane was added eastbound in 1997. It is currently being widened to 2x4 lanes that will open in 2014. A 5th shoulder running (eastbound) will be added in 2016, and a final widening to 2x6 lanes in 2025. The history of A8 in a nutshell; continuous expansion.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, Suburbanist liked this post
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #9985
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A8 Westzaan - Heemskerk

The A8 has a missing link between Westzaan (terminus) and Heemskerk (A9 interchange). This segment has been planned for decades, but never advanced beyond proposal stage.

The A8 was originally planned further south, to the A9/A22 interchange (Beverwijk motorway interchange). This was called the golf course variant. A golf course is present in this area, the land is leased from Rijkswaterstaat. However, it was found that the Heemskerk variant would be better, a route slightly further north.

A8 will not be constructed as a motorway, but as a provincial expressway (2x2, grade separated). The speed limit remains unknown, earlier proposals called for 80 km/h, but this seems nonsense considering the rural terrain and relatively few interchanges. Construction cost is estimated at € 150 million.

It will not be constructed with a higher capacity than 2x2 lanes, because the existing A8 through Zaandam cannot be effectively widened. A8 also has a drawbridge and the Zaandam motorway interchange at A7 has insufficient capacity.

Old October 17th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9986
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A10 Coen Tunnel

In conjunction with the A7-A8 widening, existing but unused pavement in the new Coen Tunnel will also be used to increase capacity.

The old Coen Tunnel, opened in 1966, had 2x2 lanes. The new Coen Tunnel has 2+3 lanes and opened to traffic in 2013. The old tunnel is being renovated and full capacity will be available in 2014.

By 2014, the tunnel layout will be 1+2+2+3 lanes (west to east), with a maximum of 5 lanes in the peak direction and 3 in the anti-peak direction.

However, the tunnel has space and pavement for a layout of 2+2+2+4 lanes, for a total of 6 lanes in the peak direction and 4 in the anti-peak direction.

Originally the plan was to utilize this capacity after 2014, but this additional capacity is not necessary until after 2020, so this is postponed to coincide with the A7-A8 widening projects.

It is an incredible improvement. Until 2014, there are only 2 inbound lanes. By 2025, there will be 6 inbound lanes in the morning.

Photo of the easternmost tube with 3 lanes, but space for 4 lanes.

Godius liked this post
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #9987
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Which is the difference between the expressway and the motorway standards in the Netherlands? Why they have decided to build it as expressways instead of as motorway?

And about the new tubes for the Coen Tunnel, how's the section of the 1-lane tube? And by now, this free space in the 3-lanes tube will be used as shoulder?

I understand that the old tubes have not emergency shoulder, but the new ones are being build without emergency shoulders?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #9988
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Which is the difference between the expressway and the motorway standards in the Netherlands?
The difference is in alignement and an expressway does not need a shoulder.

Quote:
Why they have decided to build it as expressways instead of as motorway?
A highway would draw too much traffic on the road. The existing part of the A8 until the Zaandam interchange wouldn't be able to handle that extra traffic. The A8 is practically impossible to widen, and if you do it, the costs would be very high. Therefor an 'autoweg'-solution has been chosen.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #9989
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
alignement
English alignment and Dutch alignement do not mean the same. Alignment could be translated as "tracé". Dutch alignement is the physical design of the road (horizontal & vertical curvature).

keokiracer liked this post
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #9990
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I've got a question about that curve in Prmerand.

It seems they have an old alignment there: http://goo.gl/maps/EGe4G

Why this weird curve was built then?
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #9991
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That was the old road. A7 north of Purmerend was gradually expanded from a two-lane road to a motorway. Originally, A7 was planned to extend to A10 near S116, and the route between Purmerend and Zaandam was originally constructed as provincial road S14. It opened in 1970 as a motorway, but didn't become a rijksweg until the major road transfer year of 1993.

The curve was built to accomodate a motorway-to-motorway interchange.

1983 map.
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #9992
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
The difference is in alignement and an expressway does not need a shoulder.

A highway would draw too much traffic on the road. The existing part of the A8 until the Zaandam interchange wouldn't be able to handle that extra traffic. The A8 is practically impossible to widen, and if you do it, the costs would be very high. Therefor an 'autoweg'-solution has been chosen.
Well, I don't know how exactly it works in the Netherlands, and probably an expressway could accommodate a bit less traffic than an equivalent motorway. However, I think that it is kind of false to think that people won't take it just for being an expressway instead of a motorway.

I don't know why the A8 could assume the increase of traffic of an expressway but won't be able to assume the traffic of a motorway. If the road is fine, and it is empty people will use it as shortcut.
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #9993
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Well, I don't know how exactly it works in the Netherlands, and probably an expressway could accommodate a bit less traffic than an equivalent motorway. However, I think that it is kind of false to think that people won't take it just for being an expressway instead of a motorway.
I don't know whether the interchange with A9 will be fluent or not. Motorway would be certainly fluent, but that's not always the case with expressways. That will cost some extra time. And I don't know what the spee dlimit is going to be. People want to drive fast, or at least feel like they're going somewhere fast. With the other route (A9) being 130-120 km/h (100 km/h when shoulder running implemented on about half of the stretch) a speed limit of 100 would be not very inviting, certainly not when it's 80 km/h.

Quote:
I don't know why the A8 could assume the increase of traffic of an expressway but won't be able to assume the traffic of a motorway.
Well, apparently the points I made (and probably some others that I'm missing) above cause enough people to take the A9-route to keep it under the limit of what the A8 can handle.

Quote:
If the road is fine, and it is empty people will use it as shortcut.
Only if it takes less time than the original route
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #9994
Reivajar

Sure... hahaha. I mean, I agree with the reasons you explain. But what I am not sure is about there would be a huge difference between one option and the other one, enough for saying: with a motorway A8 will be saturated, with an expressway the A8 will resist it.

Anyway, I have no idea how people commute in North Holland, but I guess that most of people interested in the enlargement of the A8 to the A9 will take that new stretch if it is an expressway or an motorway.
Old October 20th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #9995
McBeans

Likes (Received): 249

Hi Chris,

Seeing the maps around Amsterdam, how is the usage of the westrandweg helping to reduce congestion in the Amsterdam area? Is it functioning as planned? Or will we see full effects only after the 1st Coen tunnel has been re-opened end next year.
McBeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #9996
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are no traffic counts available yet. People report it's not very busy, but of course it wasn't built to become congested in the first year of operation. And we need to wait for the Coen Tunnel to be in full operation.
Old October 20th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #9997
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

It will become an important link during the relocation works in Badhoevedorp
Old October 20th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #9998
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't think so. A5 runs north-south, the A9 construction is east-west. Furthermore, you cannot get from A5 south to A4 north near Schiphol, and you cannot get from A10 north to A5 south in Amsterdam.

A5 was designed as a bypass of Amsterdam, and a fast route to the suburban employment south of Amsterdam. While A5 does not give direct access to Schiphol Airport, it does give access to all employment near it, via the Hoofddorp exit. Hoofddorp is perhaps the most prominent example of an "edge city" in the Netherlands. While it is a suburb, it's job-population ratio is one of the highest in the country (even when you exclude Schiphol Airport, Haarlemmermeer municipality has more jobs per inhabitant than Amsterdam).
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #9999
Gereke

Likes (Received): 237

Quote:
and you cannot get from A10 north to A5 south in Amsterdam.
Not true. Or will this be the case when all the Coen Tunnel tubes are opened for traffic?
Gereke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #10000
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I meant A10 northbound. You cannot enter A5 when driving northbound on A10 from De Nieuwe Meer motorway interchange towards the Coenplein interchange.

Roadgeek lingo

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands