daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #10101
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

A50 Ewijk Waal River Bridge

The renovation of the old Ewijk Waal River Bridge has been delayed by a year. The reason is that they found out that the cables will also have to be replaced, which was not foreseen earlier. Current works were mainly on the bridge steel deck.

Opening to traffic has been delayed from mid 2014 to mid 2015. However, traffic congestion has already been reduced substantially by the interim 2x3 lanes layout on the new bridge. They already upped the work shifts to 7 days a week.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0021.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #10102
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
"I want to see you"(bicycle lights campaign).
Do you still have pretty girls blowing you a kiss and a giving you free bike lights?

http://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/20...e-your-lights/

Last edited by radamfi; November 6th, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #10103
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Houten - Hooipolder

Three sub variants will be examined for the widening of A27 south of Utrecht. Unfortunately there is a massive funding shortfall for a structural improvement, because this stretch has four major bridges, and only one of them can be replaced with the current budget allocation.

Details about the bridges are a bit sketchy, but all three sub variants will require a second Merwede River Bridge at Gorinchem to provide 4+3 lanes across the river.

Variant E3 adds the most capacity, by using shoulder running between the bridge segments, to provide at least 3 lanes each way during rush hour (and likely much of the day).

Variant E4 is similar to E3, but leaves the A27 south of the Merwede Bridge (Werkendam exit) in its current 2x2 layout with no shoulder running.

Variant E9 is the opposite of variant E4, with shoulder running south of Werkendam, but not between Gorinchem and Everdingen, leaving that segment in its current 2x2 layout.

The northern two bridges will be converted to 4+3 lanes by utilizing existing shoulders. This will result in two bridges (Lek River and Amsterdam-Rhine Canal) in having no shoulders and narrow lanes.

It's kind of a bummer having to get around with substandard solutions like these. I think it's best to rebuild the A27 in a way that a more structural widening is possible after more funding becomes available after 2025.
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #10104
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6/A7 Joure Interchange

Minister Schultz of transportation signed the final EIS (record of decision) for the reconstruction of the Joure motorway interchange. The € 76 million project is paid for nearly entirely by regional funding. Construction will commence in 2015.

The Joure motorway interchange is currently an uncontrolled multi-lane roundabout with frequent backups on A7 from Sneek. The new interchange is a half stack interchange with direct connectors. A new separate exit will be constructed to serve the town of Joure.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, GerFok liked this post
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #10105
DarkLoki

Likes (Received): 41

Great for traffic but I guess it's also the end of an era because I do not know another roundabout interchange. When it's not to busy the current roundabout is very convenient to drive around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
Maybe in Afrikaans is Miskien, in Fresian I think it is Mischien, and in Dutch apparently something totally different.
In Frisian it is 'Faaks' of 'Miskien'. You'll find that words closer to Dutch are the ones more often used.
DarkLoki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #10106
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Westelijke invalsweg, Leeuwarden

A recent aerial photo of the aquaduct under construction in Leeuwarden. It is part of the N31 - Leeuwarden connector road, also known as the "Westelijke invalsweg" (WIW). It's a 4-lane road.

Agnette, snowdog liked this post
Old November 8th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #10107
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoki View Post
Great for traffic but I guess it's also the end of an era because I do not know another roundabout interchange. When it's not to busy the current roundabout is very convenient to drive around.
Not a roundabout you're forced on, but Rottepolderplein is also a roundabout if you want to change direction ( either left or right), but has bypasses for straight traffic .

http://goo.gl/maps/Ypdns

All in all, roundabouts do not belong on a Motorway .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #10108
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rotterdam congestion

Rotterdam has had a few days recently with brutal traffic congestion due to incidents. Today A20 is closed in both directions and A15 is closed as well, leaving no alternate routes.

Old November 8th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #10109
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

A20 JUST opened to traffic:
See http://vid.nl/Camera/stream/cam_86 for live-stream
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #10110
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N62 Sluiskil Tunnel

The second tube of the Sluiskil Tunnel near Terneuzen has achieved breakthrough on 1 November and the final rings were placed this week, which means the tunnel boring machine's work has ended and can be disassembled. Works now begin on finishing both tubes.

The Sluiskil Tunnel will open to traffic in 2015.
Old November 9th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #10111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They are becoming somewhat more common in recent years; the wooden guardrail.

This is provincial road N331 between Hasselt and Zwartsluis in Overijssel province.

image hosted on flickr

N331 Hasselt - Zwartsluis 2013 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

N331 Hasselt - Zwartsluis 2013-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Suburbanist liked this post
Old November 9th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #10112
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N375

I drove across the provincial road N375 today, in Drenthe province. It is an alternate route to A28 between Meppel and Hoogeveen. It's actually shorter from Meppel towards Assen than A28, and traffic is light. There are a few roundabouts, but no towns or villages.

image hosted on flickr

N375 Koekange by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Zagor666 liked this post
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #10113
ChrisZwolle
Road user

ecoducts

A few shots of the recently completed ecoduct "Dwingelderveld" across the A28 motorway south of Beilen.

image hosted on flickr

ecoduct Dwingelderveld-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ecoduct Dwingelderveld-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ecoduct Dwingelderveld-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ecoduct Dwingelderveld-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

piotr71, Agnette liked this post
Old November 9th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #10114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kersenbaan, Amersfoort

A municipal project in the city of Amersfoort is the extension of the Kersenbaan along a railroad right-of-way. It will improve access to the city and railroad station which is currently only accessible via a narrow street with bike lanes. Of particular concern is an intersection where 7 streets converge. A roundabout with railroad crossing and dive-under will be constructed there.

Construction could begin as soon as next year. Construction cost is € 27 million.

snowdog liked this post
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #10115
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Deventer

A major local project is the widening of the "Amstellaan" in the city of Deventer. Amstellaan is part of the bypass for through traffic in Deventer. It was a bottleneck, because the adjacent segments had 2x2 lanes.

It has improved substantially with the construction of two bicycle tunnels, eliminating all bicycle traffic across the intersection. Also, free right turns have been constructed at all right turns, which is quite unusual in the Netherlands these days.

snowdog liked this post
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #10116
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

What about pedestrian traffic there?
kubam4a1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #10117
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They use the bicycle tunnels as well. Nearly all bicycle tunnels have pedestrian paths.
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #10118
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A municipal project in the city of Amersfoort is the extension of the Kersenbaan along a railroad right-of-way. It will improve access to the city and railroad station which is currently only accessible via a narrow street with bike lanes. Of particular concern is an intersection where 7 streets converge. A roundabout with railroad crossing and dive-under will be constructed there.

Construction could begin as soon as next year. Construction cost is € 27 million.

Interesting. So there's going to be a railroad crossing ON the roundabout? I wonder where and how the gates will be positioned...
Vertigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #10119
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Interesting. So there's going to be a railroad crossing ON the roundabout? I wonder where and how the gates will be positioned...
Probably something like shown in this 3D maquette

(Don't expect it to be a very realistic maquette when you compare it in a couple years when it's actually built)
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #10120
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's a low volume railroad, also known as the Pon Line, which serves car importer Pon. There are no regular passenger services, so it will likely be a few trains per week or so. It's interesting though, as far as I am aware this is the first roundabout in the Netherlands with a railroad crossing.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands