daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #10141
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Was it the old one?

To be precise, it was here (at 900 meters before beginning exit lane)

https://maps.google.nl/?ll=52.597273...,23.32,,0,7.25

There's no sign for traffic going straight for streetview, but you can assume it would've looked like the straight sign you posted from 900 meters ahead
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #10142
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Haha. Thanks.

I think I prefer the older version though.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #10143
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

North East Corridor, Eindhoven / Veghel / Helmond

The construction of the "Noordoostcorridor", or Northeast Corridor is coming closer.

The Northeast Corridor entails the construction of a 2x2 N279 expressway from A50 at Veghel to A67 south of Helmond. Additionally, there will be a 2x2 expressway constructed as an extension of A58 from Eindhoven to north of Helmond.

Construction will likely begin in 2017. Although it is a provincial road project, it is co-funded by the national government.

Possible plans:
image hosted on flickr

schets Noordoostcorridor by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #10144
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Grade Separated and 100km/h? Are miracles possible?
Old November 15th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #10145
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

What's the situation at the southern connection with the A67 going to be like? I see there's a roundabout on the map, but there was a roundabout (the so-called 'Ei van Ommel') there and it was demolished a couple years ago and replaced with traffic lights.
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #10146
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Yesterday I drove from Germany to Amsterdam via Venlo-Eindhoven, and return the same way. It was the first time in my life I drove a car in the Netherlands (not counting the short section from Aachen to Maastricht).
The network is impressive but traffic density, too, is impressive. Even Saturday afternoon.
Driving in 2×5 lane motorway is quite frightening if you are not used to it.

Signage is clear and nice. What I didn't like:
- No distance marker before intersections. I have no information about how much time (road length) I have to change to the lane I need.
- In some section the motorway has 4 tracks, especially at city bypasses. Before such sections the sign is confusing: A2 is left and A2 is right as well (I tried to find a picture but Google Streetview seems to be outdated). If you know you have to follow A2, you'll have problems here.

I decided I'll take P+R instead of driving in Amsterdam downtown. I missed the first exit to a P+R. I caught another parking lot but it was full ("vol" means full in Dutch, right?). The third one, too, was full. I found some free place in Zeeburg P+R but lost almost one hour by searching for a P+R that has free places. And all of that in Saturday afternoon.

However driving in NL is much more relaxed than in Germany where you may expect someone driving at 230 km/h any time.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #10147
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
- No distance marker before intersections. I have no information about how much time (road length) I have to change to the lane I need.
That distance is standardized in the Netherlands.

Quote:
- In some section the motorway has 4 tracks, especially at city bypasses. Before such sections the sign is confusing: A2 is left and A2 is right as well (I tried to find a picture but Google Streetview seems to be outdated). If you know you have to follow A2, you'll have problems here.
Are you sure you are not mixing the situation in Eindhoven where the central through lanes are A2 and the local access lanes are N2?
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #10148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Utrecht has a local-express setup as well. It doesn't matter if you pick the local lanes if you want to go to Amsterdam, it eventually rejoins A2 mainline.
Old November 17th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #10149
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

So does Rotterdam.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #10150
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

And so do 's Hertogenbosch and Eindhoven.
Old November 17th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #10151
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Yesterday I drove from Germany to Amsterdam via Venlo-Eindhoven, and return the same way. It was the first time in my life I drove a car in the Netherlands (not counting the short section from Aachen to Maastricht).
The network is impressive but traffic density, too, is impressive. Even Saturday afternoon.
Driving in 2×5 lane motorway is quite frightening if you are not used to it.

Signage is clear and nice. What I didn't like:

I decided I'll take P+R instead of driving in Amsterdam downtown. I missed the first exit to a P+R. I caught another parking lot but it was full ("vol" means full in Dutch, right?). The third one, too, was full. I found some free place in Zeeburg P+R but lost almost one hour by searching for a P+R that has free places. And all of that in Saturday afternoon.

However driving in NL is much more relaxed than in Germany where you may expect someone driving at 230 km/h any time.
I personally disagree, driving in such annoying heavy traffic and having to constantly watch your speedo is not relaxing, cruising on a calm autobahn at 180km/h with people overtaking you at high speed is much more relaxing.
Motorway driving should not mean ''check your speedo'' but ''look ahead as far as possible and check mirrors often''. Unfortunately only the Germans agree with me on that . Paying attention to traffic is easier than paying attention to the speedo.

And what do you mean by no distance markers ? Every exit is shown way in advance afaik ? eg. ''1200m, 600m, 300m, now''
If there is no distance, it means you can change lanes now ( and you can as usual, look ahead to see how long you potentially have to change lanes), which really isn't that hard, check mirror, find gap, check blind spot, indicate and move.

I actually find most Dutch merge/weave way too early and don't use the available space to get to speed or keep their average speed higher. Encouraged by the bad habit of people who ''make space'' for people to join by moving to the left ( but holding up people on the left lane that way). Nobody understands to make enough speed and use the whole lane when joining, they join as soon as the ''block markings'' start with a rubbish speed like 70-80 km/h, rather than first getting up to speed before joining .

MichiH, flierfy liked this post

Last edited by snowdog; November 17th, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #10152
Road_UK
BANNED

You still got the wrong impression of Germany.
Old November 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #10153
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You still got the wrong impression of Germany.
Yeah sure...

I've been in Poland recently and could keep driving 180 km/h on cruise control at least half the way.

I prefer driving at night when most people are asleep and I get the road for myself. Hengelo>Swiecko took me 4 hours, with a 20 minute break in at Zweidorfer Holz ( where I can fuel up LPG).
When I get a long straight with nobody around I see no point in driving slow, I'll floor it and drive as fast as I can.

Being able to drive as you want is a godsend, in Holland on many motorways the same applies really at night, I see no point for example on the A13 near Delft, the A12 between Zoetermeer and Utrecht, or the A2 between A'dam and Utrecht why there is a speed limit at all, they are straight, flat, wide ( room for errors) and you can see kilometres away. During the day you have annoying traffic, but at night, you are doing 100/120/130 km/h or so for god knows who.

Last edited by snowdog; November 17th, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old November 17th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #10154
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nijmegen has recently introduced S-numbers. S-numbers are "Stadsroutes" or city routes. Its intent is to ease navigation in the largest cities because there are typically no N-roads signed within these cities. They are municipal projects, and S-numbers are reused per city. Some see them as useful, others as an unnecessary gimmick. The main critique is that some cities have way too many S-numbers (Rotterdam has about 30 of them).

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0097.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

Also, the new Waal River Bridge will open in a week (S100).
image hosted on flickr

DSC_0022.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Surel, snowdog, keokiracer liked this post
Old November 17th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #10155
snowdog
Speed freak

I personally never saw the point in S routes, unnecessary clutter on signs. Are there people who actually drive following an S route ?
Old November 17th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #10156
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

It can come in handy in some cases, like the route from A29 to A13 in Rotterdam. It would be very handy if that had one S-route.
Old November 18th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #10157
ChrisZwolle
Road user

NMCA

The national market and capacity analysis (NMCA) is updated biennially, and it just got its latest update based on the most current data about economic growth, spatial developments, demographics and socio-economic developments.

They produce two scenarios, the low growth scenario called "Regional Communities" (RC) and the high growth scenario called "Global Economy" (GE). They keep in mind the current pipeline of planned projects until the horizon year (2028).

This map shows capacity problems in the "RC" (low growth) scenario until 2028.

This map shows capacity problems in the "GE" (high growth) scenario until 2028.

keokiracer liked this post
Old November 18th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #10158
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
image hosted on flickr

Horrible these signs, cluttered and the lot....
Old November 18th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #10159
ChrisZwolle
Road user

MIRT

MIRT studies are launched for several road projects that will take place after 2020-2025. MIRT is a programme where major projects are financed and planned.

* A2 Deil - Den Bosch
* A6 Almere - Lelystad
* A15 Papendrecht - Gorinchem

Multimodal freight corridor studies, which include A15, A58 & A67 (all east-west routes).

These MIRT studies are added the the existing list of MIRT studies, which include most, if not all current bottlenecks. Especially the recognition of the A15 Papendrecht - Gorinchem corridor is important, it was one of the last heavily saturated motorways with no plans. It carries up to 90 000 vehicles per day on 2x2 lanes.

EPA001 liked this post
Old November 18th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #10160
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Horrible these signs, cluttered and the lot....
I agree. They haven't improved things at all with these new signs. Them arrows alone are well ugly.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands