daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #10161
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I agree. They haven't improved things at all with these new signs. Them arrows alone are well ugly.
Well for starters the petrol station sign is not needed, but the middle sign is what really messes up everything

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #10162
Langeveldt

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
I personally never saw the point in S routes, unnecessary clutter on signs. Are there people who actually drive following an S route ?
We have M (Metropolitan) roads in South African cities and I have never referred to them by number or heard to anyone refer to them. When on the radio traffic news they refer to the "M4", they also have to give the name of the road because nobody knows where the M4 is. This system has been in place for years
Langeveldt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #10163
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Horrible these signs, cluttered and the lot....
Terrible indeed. Here's a quick improvement in Photoshop.

da_scotty, Glodenox, snowdog, Billly, Godius and 3 others liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #10164
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

That my friend, is what I mean! Great improvement!
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #10165
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

N356 De Centrale As

The second and largest contract of the "Centrale As" project in Friesland province has been awarded. The € 46.7 million contract will construct a 2x2 100 km/h expressway and a new aqueduct underneath the Princes Margriet Canal. The second contract is the center part of the project, around Burgum.

map of the entire project:
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #10166
ChrisZwolle
Road user

eco-aqueduct

Something new near Rouveen, Overijssel province, the "eco-aqueduct". Construction began on Monday.

The eco-aquaduct will carry water of two different ecologic quality over each other and will also pass under the "Conradsweg", a local road. There are two types of water quality, due to one being a drainage canal, and the others being more natural water from the largest bog-swamp in the Netherlands.

Old November 20th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #10167
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Christ Almighty, how much is this nonsense supposed to cost?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #10168
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Now we know why the Waterschapsbelasting ( Water Board tax) is so high .

Last edited by snowdog; November 20th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #10169
ChrisZwolle
Road user

English video about the future of the Afsluitdijk, de longest dam in the Netherlands.

Old November 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM   #10170
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N33 Assen - Zuidbroek

Timelapse video of a railway overpass replacement.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:02 PM   #10171
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15 Rotterdam

The A-lanes A15 consortium appears to be in financial trouble with the large widening project of A15 along the southern side of Rotterdam. The project was contracted for € 1.2 billion (including a 25 year maintenance contract), but apparently there is a € 200 million shortfall. Road authority Rijkswaterstaat is not willing to fund the gap because they warned the consortium about the low offer before it was contracted. This seems like a similar situation we've seen recently in Poland, where large construction companies became in trouble or even bankrupt after making unprofitable offers to get contracts.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:36 PM   #10172
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The A-lanes A15 consortium appears to be in financial trouble with the large widening project of A15 along the southern side of Rotterdam. The project was contracted for € 1.2 billion (including a 25 year maintenance contract), but apparently there is a € 200 million shortfall.
I hope that the maintenance fee was not paid upfront. Otherwise it would be great way how to inflate the size of the project and then win with low price that intentionally doesn't cover for the maintenance while you cash it in.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #10173
ChrisZwolle
Road user

parking

Several media outlets report that parking in city centers is losing popularity. The amount of hours parked between 2008 and 2012 has been reduced by 10%. Most of the reduction was in parking garages. Leading cause according to the study are the parking fees. These are too high and increasing much faster than inflation. The bad economic circumstances and rise of internet shopping may also contribute to the decline in city center parking.

Another survey by Dutch motorist association ANWB and international sister associations critized parking in Amsterdam. Parking spaces are too small and too expensive. Some parking spaces are only 2.2 m wide, making it difficult to get in and out of the car. 2.50 m is recommended as the minimum. As usual, minimum design turns out to be the maximum design as well.

The best parking garage among the 60 surveyed is the Opéra in Zürich, Switzerland. The worst was the parking garage of the Technical University in Vienna. Price only accounted for 10% of the weight to determine which parking garages are the best. Parking garages in Amsterdam and Vienna scored worst at "affordability". Parking garages in Luxembourg and Madrid scored best at this aspect. Overall, Berlin parking garages scored best and Vienna and München worst.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:18 PM   #10174
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A67 Someren

This video shows what problems a short merging lane can cause on a busy motorway.

This particular motorway segment opened in 1966 and predates modern design standards (full width shoulders) by only a few years. Motorways designed in the 1950s and early 1960s often featured no shoulders at bridges to save money.

This is an important junction, apart from Someren (pop. 11,000) and Asten (pop. 16,000) it also serves a substantial part of Helmond (pop. 89,000). There are plans to construct a new bridge across the canal for merging traffic. Ideal would be a widening to 2x3 lanes, because of the high truck share. This segment of A67 carries 54,000 vehicles per day, with a truck share of 36%. I counted 17 trucks in this 30 seconds video.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:13 PM   #10175
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N398, Friesland

We have a new primary provincial road, the N398 in Friesland province. The road is officially named the "Middelseewei" and was also called the "Northwest Tangent". The construction of the 5 kilometer road took 2 years and € 29 million. It's a relatively high standard road by Dutch standards, except for 3 roundabouts, all crossing roads are grade-separated (with no exchange). The speed limit is 80 km/h.

opening ceremony by deputy Sietske Poepjes (what a name...)

construction in March 2013

map:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, Agnette liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:25 PM   #10176
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Since we are at that time of the year, they should invite Sinterklaas to open some road work
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:20 PM   #10177
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
This video shows what problems a short merging lane can cause on a busy motorway.

[youtube]S3MGzvoolsQ[youtube]
Bad driving from both the first 2 cars. Om my driving test I was clearly instructed to start looking for a gap ( and traffic intensity) the moment the motorway is visible and adjust my speed accordingly.

The first car does indeed not look quick enough to have accelerated faster, so should have seen the gap between the trucks sooner and adjusted his speed before the corner.

The 2nd car looks like it's a Polo so should reach 88km/h ( the truck speed) easily on that lane seeing as he had some speed before the lane started, but he didn't keep a good distance between him and the car in front to floor it. That said, in his position I'd still merge in ( while flooring it) the moment that red thing joins in, rather than making an emergency stop there.

Officially if you reckon you can't join, you should stop at the start of the merging lane, not the end.
Both cars have not looked ahead properly and planned their ''gap'' to join in, seeing how they wasted a lot of road space waiting for that first truck to pass. They just went and hoped it would be fine. I hate people who don't plan ahead in traffic and have problems merging . I'm guessing most people are way to overconcentrated on the corner on that entrance.

Last edited by snowdog; November 22nd, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:42 PM   #10178
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, it's a poorly designed interchange. The ramp is steep and has a tighter curve than most other half-cloverleafs, plus there are trees in the interchange that block the view on traffic until relatively late. Additionally, the merging lane is 110 meters long. This is 25% of the regular merging length, with no shoulder to use as a last resort option. The ramp is even more problematic for trucks because they can't accelerate in that curve (while having to go uphill as well).

Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM   #10179
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Gaag-Aquaduct

Near Delft. It has space for 2x4 lanes.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, EPA001 liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:46 PM   #10180
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Well, it's a poorly designed interchange. The ramp is steep and has a tighter curve than most other half-cloverleafs, plus there are trees in the interchange that block the view on traffic until relatively late. Additionally, the merging lane is 110 meters long. This is 25% of the regular merging length, with no shoulder to use as a last resort option. The ramp is even more problematic for trucks because they can't accelerate in that curve (while having to go uphill as well).

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ucYjxyY.jpg[IMG]
That is true, but still, at least 75% of the Dutch drivers ( wild estimate:p) are unable to find the throttle when needed when merging.

EDIT:
I've looked up the place, and indeed, it's a bit tough to join there, I could think of simple solutions that would make the situation significantly better! Stupid how the curve of the exit is wider than the curve of the entrance .
Place is indeed very dangerous, I don't think most vans, slow ecomobiles or trucks are indeed able to properly make enough speed there.

Last edited by snowdog; November 22nd, 2013 at 11:56 PM.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands