daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:02 AM   #10181
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Infrastructure fund

I've delved into the old budget plans and compared the infrastructure fund through the last 22 years. The infrastructure fund was created in 1993. It encompasses spending on roads, rail, local public transport and waterways (basically all ground transportation).

As you can see, spending went up significantly after 2006, but has since decreased. The projected 2014 infrastructure fund is € 6.8 billion, so slightly better than 2013.

The numbers are not adjusted for inflation. If the fund would have been adjusted for inflation every year, it should be around € 7.7 billion annually. The projected funds through 2020 are lower than that, so we actually are spending less on infrastructure the coming years than we did in the 1990s or late 2000s.

The fund doesn't tell us how the money was spent. There has been a focus of spending from public transport to roads. Back in the 1990s there were many large rail projects with the aim of reducing road congestion, achieving nothing of the kind (congestion actually went out of control between 1990 and 2000s). The recent spending on roads has made a significant reduction of congestion possible, while traffic keeps inching up, despite the recession.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:10 AM   #10182
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This video shows what problems a short merging lane can cause on a busy motorway.
That thing is not so short... but those people really can't drive.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM   #10183
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Bad driving from both the first 2 cars. Om my driving test I was clearly instructed to start looking for a gap ( and traffic intensity) the moment the motorway is visible and adjust my speed accordingly.

The first car does indeed not look quick enough to have accelerated faster, so should have seen the gap between the trucks sooner and adjusted his speed before the corner.

The 2nd car looks like it's a Polo so should reach 88km/h ( the truck speed) easily on that lane seeing as he had some speed before the lane started, but he didn't keep a good distance between him and the car in front to floor it. That said, in his position I'd still merge in ( while flooring it) the moment that red thing joins in, rather than making an emergency stop there.

Officially if you reckon you can't join, you should stop at the start of the merging lane, not the end.
Both cars have not looked ahead properly and planned their ''gap'' to join in, seeing how they wasted a lot of road space waiting for that first truck to pass. They just went and hoped it would be fine. I hate people who don't plan ahead in traffic and have problems merging . I'm guessing most people are way to overconcentrated on the corner on that entrance.
Yeah right, you're the best driver in the whole world. You always find a gap and know exactly when to drive 88km/h or 97km/h. Spare us the bullshit please! Short merging lane is clearly the problem here. If there was only a hard shoulder so you could prolong your merging it wouldn't be that bad.

Road_UK, julesstoop liked this post
lafreak84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:59 PM   #10184
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
That thing is not so short... but those people really can't drive.
I have fond memories of going to university in Naples where the bus would essentially join the motorway from standstill on a really short merging lane. I think the shortest one I ever saw in Italy was in Salerno, that thing was genuinely scary.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:42 PM   #10185
ChrisZwolle
Road user

busiest road in the Netherlands

The busiest stretch of road in the Netherlands became more busy in 2012.

It's the A4 between the Prins Clausplein and Ypenburg motorway interchanges near Den Haag. The 2012 AADT (average workday traffic) is 241,800 vehicles per day. A4 overtook the A16 Van Brienenoord Bridge in Rotterdam in 2010 as the busiest road in the country.

This segment of A4 is constructed as a braid to facilitate the heavy changes in traffic direction. This segment has 16 lanes.

(photo was taken in 1996, the lane drops on the photo are not present anymore).
Old November 24th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #10186
Astenaar

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
This video shows what problems a short merging lane can cause on a busy motorway. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3MGzvoolsQ">YouTube Link</a> This particular motorway segment opened in 1966 and predates modern design standards (full width shoulders) by only a few years. Motorways designed in the 1950s and early 1960s often featured no shoulders at bridges to save money. This is an important junction, apart from Someren (pop. 11,000) and Asten (pop. 16,000) it also serves a substantial part of Helmond (pop. 89,000). There are plans to construct a new bridge across the canal for merging traffic. Ideal would be a widening to 2x3 lanes, because of the high truck share. This segment of A67 carries 54,000 vehicles per day, with a truck share of 36%. I counted 17 trucks in this 30 seconds video.
This situation really needs to be solved. Sometimes the buses are rerouted via this merging lane, it's horrible in peakhours. The interchange doesn't serve Asten though, most of the people from asten use the interchange at the former ei van ommel.
Astenaar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #10187
ChrisZwolle
Road user

S100 De Oversteek, Nijmegen

The "Oversteek" Bridge across the Waal River in Nijmegen opens at midnight. It's the second-longest main span of the Netherlands (285 m) and the largest arch bridge of this type in Europe (with a single arch). Project cost was € 260 million including local and access roads.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0137.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0135.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0056.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0045.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #10188
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
The "Oversteek" Bridge across the Waal River in Nijmegen ...
image hosted on flickr

DSC_0135.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr
Just out of curiosity, what do these numbers indicate? It can't be the height of water in river, since the highest number would be on the top and it's vice-versa. So, what does the zero mark mean?
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #10189
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Maybe the distance b/n water surface and bridge bottom line. That would allow boats to identify if they can pass the bridge (it changes b/n ebb and flow).

Wilhem275 liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #10190
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

That does make sense, thanks
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #10191
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It indeed shows the clearance under the bridge. The regular navigational clearance at high water is 9.1 meters at all fixed bridges across the major rivers.
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #10192
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Steenbergen

November aerial photos of the A4 under construction around Steenbergen.

Photos run from south (Tholen exit) to north (Dinteloord exit).

Old November 26th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #10193
Redouane

Likes (Received): 25

Drove on the A15 (Rotterdam-Europoort) today, road is in horrible condition.. So many bumps etc in it. 1 bump made me hit the roof of my car while driving normal speed.. 120/130
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #10194
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 754

Probably why the A/N15 is a 80-100 speed limit.
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #10195
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

I didn't think NL did potholes. I am always amazed at how maintained Dutch roads are, even minor roads with no traffic. They are as smooth as a baby's bottom. The worst ones are the rural 60 km/h roads made with bricks, not good in my Smart car, but that is tradition and presumably designed to slow you down.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #10196
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 754

he wasn't talking about potholes
I know the road and I know a few spots (mainly by bridges) where you could get launched at 120+ kph
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #10197
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
I know the road and I know a few spots (mainly by bridges) where you could get launched at 120+ kph
Ah, those kind. There's a 'nice' spot on the A4 northbound near Roelofarendsveen which will do the same to you. Imagine being not known in the area and driving 130 in the night and suddenly hitting that thing
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #10198
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
I didn't think NL did potholes.
You've not been to The Hague?

That road is in much worse shape now. The patched up areas in the link above have disintegrated and there are some new potholes further up the road.

Of course, this city has the worst infra crew in the whole country. They'll dig up a road for maintenance on the tram rails, then find out six months later that the sewer is due for a fix so they do it all over again.
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #10199
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Cycle lane in the middle of 2 traffic lanes is not very Dutch.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #10200
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

You don't know the half of it.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands