daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2013, 05:03 PM   #10301
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

What about N33 widening to 2x2 in 2014?

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:33 PM   #10302
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5839

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Motorways of Holland are one of the most used in Europe because the country location in the middle of Europe and it's trade history.

With the economic crisis that runs Europe: it is posible to Holland to have motorways without tolls?

I know that is a sensitive matter and in Europe are other countries without tolls (Germany, Belgium...) But I don't know if it is viable.

I would like all motorways of Europe doesn't has tolls, but it is only a dream.
How would you define the word 'tolls' here? There are hardly any places in the Dutch motorway network where toll needs to be paid. The "Westerscheldetunnel" comes to mind, and also the little used "Kiltunnel". As far as I know there are no other sections in the Dutch motorway network where tolls need to be paid.

Also there are no "toll vignettes" for foreigners like we see in Switzerland or Austria, and there is no special truck toll like we see in Germany.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:48 PM   #10303
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Actually, there is a truck toll in the Netherlands which foreign trucks have to pay. It's called the "eurovignette". It's a common misconception among Dutch nationals that those scary foreign truckers don't pay for the motorways, while the Dutch do have to pay in other countries.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:06 PM   #10304
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
As far as I know there are no other sections in the Dutch motorway network where tolls need to be paid.
Not in the motorway network, but there is another spot where traffich as to pay toll, on the bridge in the tiny place Nieuwerbrug. So that makes three
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:40 PM   #10305
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Actually, there is a truck toll in the Netherlands which foreign trucks have to pay. It's called the "eurovignette". It's a common misconception among Dutch nationals that those scary foreign truckers don't pay for the motorways, while the Dutch do have to pay in other countries.
Only non-Dutch trucks? How is it possible? How does that work? With an OBU like in Switzerland?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:45 PM   #10306
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

No, any truck. There are a few countries participating in the Euro vignette scheme.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:46 PM   #10307
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'm not sure if it's only for foreign trucks, but it's a substitution for the heavy vehicle road tax truck owners pay in several countries.

https://www.eurovignettes.eu

The Eurovignette is used in Belgium, Denmark, Luxemburg, the Netherlands and Sweden. The annual vignette ranges from € 1250 to € 1550 depending on the Euro emission standards. A vignette is valid in all countries that share the system.

If I am correct this leaves only the UK, Finland, Estonia and Latvia without general truck tolls in the EU. All other countries have widespread toll roads or vignettes (though Spain has relatively few tolls).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:49 PM   #10308
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
What about N33 widening to 2x2 in 2014?
The project contractual deadline is 31/03/2015. But they stated they could open it a bit earlier in late 2014. I don't expect a very early opening because of the already tight schedule, they plan to twin all 37 km + two new motorway interchanges in under 2 years.

Agnette liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:34 AM   #10309
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5839

Quote:
Actually, there is a truck toll in the Netherlands which foreign trucks have to pay. It's called the "eurovignette".
Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for the info. I have learned something today. A good start of the new year.

Quote:
It's a common misconception among Dutch nationals that those scary foreign truckers don't pay for the motorways, while the Dutch do have to pay in other countries.
Well yes, but that was not the reason why I wrote my original comment.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:00 PM   #10310
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2013 congestion

Congestion in 2013 has been reduced by 16%, according to the VID traffic information service. Widening projects reduced the impact of some of the worst individual bottlenecks from 5 to 1% (2012-2013).

Traffic congestion peaked in 2007. 2013 recorded 50% less congestion. Traffic volumes have increased during that time.

Due to the many widening projects, the amount of congestion caused by lack of capacity reduced, while congestion due to incidents, events and road works increased to 25%. However these are relative figures. The share of them is increasing, but the main cause of that is the reduction of the share of bottleneck congestion.

The worst congestion spots in 2013;

1) A20 eastbound at Terbergseplein in Rotterdam
2) A50 southbound at Ewijk (now solved)
3) A20 eastbound at Moordrecht
4) A16 northbound at Terbregseplein in Rotterdam
5) A9 southound at Badhoevedorp
6) A27 southbound at Merwede Bridge in Gorinchem
7) A13 southbound at Kleinpolderplein in Rotterdam
8) A1 eastbound at Eembrugge near Hilversum
9) A15 eastbound at Vaanplein in Rotterdam
10) A20 westbound at Rotterdam-Centrum

Out of the 10 worst spots, 6 are in the Rotterdam area, while only 1 is near Amsterdam. The rest are elsewhere. Note that numbers #1, #3 and #4 are only a few kilometers apart. A20 definitely needs to be widened plus the A13-A16 connection...

EPA001 liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:24 PM   #10311
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Note that numbers #1, #3 and #4 are only a few kilometers apart. A20 definitely needs to be widened plus the A13-A16 connection...
Don't forget numbers 7 and 10
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:41 PM   #10312
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Those are in another direction.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:11 PM   #10313
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

But they are there because of the same location, A20 at Rotterdam
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:18 PM   #10314
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, but they cannot be accumulated because they are not related. Numbers #1 and #4 merge into the same traffic flow, then encountering #3 a few kilometers down the road.

The bottom line though, is that A20 is highly congested in both directions, with a large concentration of top 10 bottlenecks, causing congestion on A13 and A16 as well.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:27 PM   #10315
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 754

Quote:
Congestion in 2013 has been reduced by 16%, according to the VID traffic information service. Widening projects reduced the impact of some of the worst individual bottlenecks from 5 to 1% (2012-2013).

Traffic congestion peaked in 2007. 2013 recorded 50% less congestion. Traffic volumes have increased during that time.

Due to the many widening projects, the amount of congestion caused by lack of capacity reduced, while congestion due to incidents, events and road works increased to 25%. However these are relative figures. The share of them is increasing, but the main cause of that is the reduction of the share of bottleneck congestion.

Out of the 10 worst spots, 6 are in the Rotterdam area, while only 1 is near Amsterdam. The rest are elsewhere. Note that numbers #1, #3 and #4 are only a few kilometers apart. A20 definitely needs to be widened plus the A13-A16 connection...
The A13-A16 connection should remove the need to widen the A20.
At Kleinpolderplein about 45% eastbound enters the A20 from the A13 and at Terbregseplein about 60-70% exits the A20 to the A16. I think the A13-A16 link will reduce traffic on the A20 on that stretch by about 30% or more (a guess).
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:15 PM   #10316
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's only for foreign trucks, but it's a substitution for the heavy vehicle road tax truck owners pay in several countries.

https://www.eurovignettes.eu

The Eurovignette is used in Belgium, Denmark, Luxemburg, the Netherlands and Sweden. The annual vignette ranges from € 1250 to € 1550 depending on the Euro emission standards. A vignette is valid in all countries that share the system.

If I am correct this leaves only the UK, Finland, Estonia and Latvia without general truck tolls in the EU. All other countries have widespread toll roads or vignettes (though Spain has relatively few tolls).
Latvia plans to introduce truck tolling system in few years.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:21 PM   #10317
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:

#5... where congestions gained with 275%
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:22 PM   #10318
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That figure suggests it's worse than it is. Previously the bottleneck was at Raasdorp, which has now been moved to Badhoevedorp.

Furtunately works are underway to relieve that segment of A9 with a new 2x3 lane alignment around the town of Badhoevedorp.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:29 PM   #10319
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Oosterbeek

A 1959 photo of A12 at the Oosterbeek interchange (just west of Arnhem). This bridge still exists, but will be replaced in a few years because of the planned widening to 2x3 lanes. Note the road markings for the merging lane.

keokiracer, EPA001, MrAronymous liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:48 PM   #10320
ChrisZwolle
Road user

MTM - Motorway Traffic Management

Installing automatic traffic control signs - recently hailed in Texas as a great new innovation - along A2 in 1978 - 36 years ago.

keokiracer, Slagathor liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands