daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:51 PM   #10401
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A2 Maastricht

January aerial photos of the A2 Maastricht project.

southern end: Europaplein interchange.

northern end: Geusselt tunnel portal

more photos;

http://www.a2maastricht.nl/nl/geusse...uari-2014.aspx

http://www.a2maastricht.nl/nl/europa...uari-2014.aspx

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, Henk, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:01 PM   #10402
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://imergis.nl/asp/opentoponl.asp

Very detailed recent topographic maps. Even some new roads opened less than 2 months ago are on the map.
Old February 4th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #10403
ChrisZwolle
Road user

traffic congestion

The development of traffic congestion in the Netherlands (most recent data). You can see the reduction of congestion has leveled out because no new capacity became available in the past couple of months.

Meanwhile, traffic on the motorways grew by 1% in 2013.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer liked this post
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #10404
ChrisZwolle
Road user

congestion

Some more detailed data about 2013 traffic congestion in the Netherlands:

* The amount of vehicle kilometers on the national road network (mostly motorways) increased by 0.9% to 65.0 billion kilometers.
* Traffic congestion decreased by 8% in 2013
* Traffic during rush hour increased
* Travel times during rush hour became more reliable, 94% of the trips during rush hour have a reliable travel time.
* Travel times during rush hour are the most reliable since 2000.
* Traffic during early rush hour (before 7 a.m.) decreased a bit, but increased during later hours.
* Congestion due to roadworks decreased by 16.6%
* Traffic congestion caused by roadworks is 4.9% of all traffic congestion
* Traffic congestion due to accidents increased to 16.4% (mostly due to a falling share of congestion caused by lack of capacity)

keokiracer, EPA001 liked this post
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #10405
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2116

What's the definition of "reliable"?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #10406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They measure the travel times at 106 statistically chosen trips, and then check how reliable the travel times are. If trips have unreliable travel times, i.e. taking much longer than normal frequently, it is considered an unreliable trip travel time. These trips are nationwide, so a part of it is explained due to roads never seeing any congestion.

Related is the amount of trips that have a generally uninterrupted flow, which is also at the highest point since these detailed measurements began in 2000. Much more rush hour trips have no notable congestion in 2013 than back in 2007, when congestion peaked.
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #10407
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
These trips are nationwide, so a part of it is explained due to roads never seeing any congestion.
Nice trick

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #10408
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Ok but my question is still unanswered. What is "reliable"? A trip taking how much percent more to an "ideal" trip? And what is an ideal trip? Going always at the speed limit? A little less? Gps time?

Quote:
They measure the travel times at 106 statistically chosen trips, and then check how reliable the travel times are. If trips have unreliable travel times, i.e. taking much longer than normal frequently, it is considered an unreliable trip travel time. These trips are nationwide, so a part of it is explained due to roads never seeing any congestion.

Related is the amount of trips that have a generally uninterrupted flow, which is also at the highest point since these detailed measurements began in 2000. Much more rush hour trips have no notable congestion in 2013 than back in 2007, when congestion peaked.
Old February 4th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #10409
GerFok
Gerard F

Likes (Received): 45

Two pictures of a new aquaduct near Leeuwarden(west).

Suburbanist, Slagathor liked this post
GerFok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #10410
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Ok but my question is still unanswered. What is "reliable"? A trip taking how much percent more to an "ideal" trip? And what is an ideal trip? Going always at the speed limit? A little less? Gps time?
I think the confusion has something to do with translation.

It deals with how much variability is there in these chosen trips. They measure duration of trips during the year for these given 106 routes, then analyse dispersion of travel times.

A trip through a congested area that is nonetheless equally congested every day is considered more reliable than a trip that might take t or 2t depending on the weekday for instance.

The underlying context is that unpredictable travel times make drivers need to depart earlier when they have time-sensitive trips, so that they can buffer for possible delays.
Old February 4th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #10411
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This is what happens when a 10-lane tunnel gets a malfunction:
[img]http://i59.************/zjaqdw.jpg[/img]
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #10412
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

I think the confusion has something to do with translation.

It deals with how much variability is there in these chosen trips. They measure duration of trips during the year for these given 106 routes, then analyse dispersion of travel times.

A trip through a congested area that is nonetheless equally congested every day is considered more reliable than a trip that might take t or 2t depending on the weekday for instance.

The underlying context is that unpredictable travel times make drivers need to depart earlier when they have time-sensitive trips, so that they can buffer for possible delays.
I see now. Thanks for the explanation.
Old February 5th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #10413
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I see now. Thanks for the explanation.
In the Netherlands, there are few non-freeway alternatives between major cities, especially on the Randstad (the "alternative" routes are usually farm roads with 60km/h speed limit or lower, and plenty of obstructions/interference).

Therefore, the major factor impacting predictability or travel times (a better translation) is the level of service of highways. Sectors operating at or near capacity can be easily disrupted by the slightest interference like a broken down truck on the curbside. Any lane closure for few minutes will also produce ripple effects.

That is why widening freeways that are not necessarily fully congested still produces a lot of benefits for drivers: it makes their commute predictable, thus they can leave home later in the morning when going to work, which in turn attenuates a "packing" effect whereas everyone start driving early so not to arrive late at work - which further increases congestion.
Old February 5th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #10414
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Some more detailed data about 2013 traffic congestion in the Netherlands:

* The amount of vehicle kilometers on the national road network (mostly motorways) increased by 0.9% to 65.0 billion kilometers.
* Traffic congestion decreased by 8% in 2013
* Traffic during rush hour increased
* Travel times during rush hour became more reliable, 94% of the trips during rush hour have a reliable travel time.
* Travel times during rush hour are the most reliable since 2000.
* Traffic during early rush hour (before 7 a.m.) decreased a bit, but increased during later hours.
* Congestion due to roadworks decreased by 16.6%
* Traffic congestion caused by roadworks is 4.9% of all traffic congestion
* Traffic congestion due to accidents increased to 16.4% (mostly due to a falling share of congestion caused by lack of capacity)
Interesting! The bold part probably means people leave later for work because the new and expanded roads allow them to get there at the same time. In terms of traffic spread this is a negative point as rush hour will have a higher peak volume during a shorter period of time. Was this effect anticipated with the widenings?
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #10415
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Interesting! The bold part probably means people leave later for work because the new and expanded roads allow them to get there at the same time.
Yes, previously you had to be on the road (or rather at your destination) before 7 a.m. because congestion grew out of control after that time. This was not just on a few motorways, but a widespread phenomenon in western and central Netherlands.

Previously, a 400 km rush hour was considered rather normal, today 200 km is seen as a very busy rush hour.

Quote:
In terms of traffic spread this is a negative point as rush hour will have a higher peak volume during a shorter period of time. Was this effect anticipated with the widenings?
It probably was anticipated, because this is one of the basics in traffic planning. The rush hours grew very wide at some locations, meaning traffic could back up as early as 6 a.m. and still be congested around 10 a.m. If you improve the situation, people who previously avoided the peak hours will return to their more desired travel time.

Los Angeles is one of the best examples of this. Some freeways over there are so congested it lasts nearly the entire day. They calculated they may need as much as 20 lanes to keep traffic flowing even at the busiest hours. However, these are freeways with more than 350,000 vehicles per day. That's not the case in the Netherlands, where traffic volumes are high, but manageable.
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #10416
ChrisZwolle
Road user

New style signage in Breda

Suburbanist liked this post
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #10417
Suburbanist
on the road

For those curious about it, those 4-number codes are designations of industrial parks. They are meant to make easier to locate large industrial plots on the proper industrial areas without having to resort to street names or the likes. Many big cities use this system.
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #10418
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Maybe I am wrong, but the only country where I've seen this system extensively used has been in the Netherlands.

Where else you have seen this kind of system?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #10419
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
It probably was anticipated, because this is one of the basics in traffic planning. The rush hours grew very wide at some locations, meaning traffic could back up as early as 6 a.m. and still be congested around 10 a.m. If you improve the situation, people who previously avoided the peak hours will return to their more desired travel time.
This is one of the things I noticed most. I've been doing a side job since a few years now, where I have to travel during daytime. Even 2 years back, it was quite normal to enter a traffic jam at 9am (admittedly, sometimes due to roadworks, but often just due to lack of capacity) and I don't think this has happened to me once in the last year, except for special circumstances like accidents.

By the way, I was driving to Groningen yesterday. Is there any chance the Hoogeveen interchange will be redesigned at some point? Following the motorway A28, only one lane is available for continuing to Groningen where everyone wants to go, while two lanes continue towards Emmen and Germany, where noone wants to go. Moreover, the one lane towards Groningen makes one of the tighter turns I have seen on motorway interchanges. Talking about this situation.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #10420
Kaaskop
Netherlands

Likes (Received): 68

An interesting graph which I copied from one of my lectures:

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands