daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #10441
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Interesting project in Katwijk, a coastal town in Zuid-Holland province. The current coastal defense is insufficient to withstand future windstorms and part of the town (3,000 people) live outside the primary seawall.

They will construct a new dune-like seawall in front of the boulevard. The interesting part is the integrated underground parking garage inside the dune. The new parking garage features 770 parking spaces, and replaces the streetside parking. Current streetside parking appears to be between 100 and 200 spaces.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #10442
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Interesting. However I don't understand how are defenses improved? Actually, what I can see from current google maps images is dunes are existing. Is it about building larger dunes?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #10443
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Where do you see dunes at the city?
https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=Katwij...241.42,,0,3.92
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #10444
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The dune at that location is not considered the main sea defense. This dotted line indicates the current primary coastal defense.
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #10445
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Where do you see dunes at the city?
https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=Katwij...241.42,,0,3.92
I have no idea how to call those mountains covered by grass, but I would say there is some part of sand there too. I was referring to them. And in the diagram posted by ChrisZwolle dunes are as well covered by grass.... so I guess I can call them dunes.
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #10446
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
I have no idea how to call those mountains covered by grass, but I would say there is some part of sand there too. I was referring to them. And in the diagram posted by ChrisZwolle dunes are as well covered by grass.... so I guess I can call them dunes.
Those things are considered too small (not high enough) to be considered main sea defense. It's just a small dune that isn't going to be very good at protecting the area behind. It's a dune, but safety-wise that thing might as well have not been there. It's not of much use safety-wise.
Old February 13th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #10447
Reivajar

OK. Thanks. I got it.
Old February 13th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #10448
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N347 Nijverdal

A new bypass is planned for Hellendoorn-Nijverdal in Overijssel province. It will detour the N347 around the older parts of town, where it is a narrow road.

N347 north of Hellendoorn has very low traffic volumes by Dutch standards, only 2,400 vehicles per day. The northernmost three roundabouts are unncessary given the low traffic volumes. When completed, N347 around Hellendoorn-Nijverdal will feature 11 roundabouts, all of them 20 km/h low-speed types.

Construction is planned for 2015-2017.
Old February 13th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #10449
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2206

Fair play to the Dutch for building parking under their new _outer_ sea defences, integrated thinking 101.

It surely won't end up like the car park down in Kerry did only last month.

sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #10450
egramsb

Likes (Received): 391

A4 Delft-Schiedam

A4 near Delft-Zuid, photos taken on the same spot, timeline 2011-now.
--> Full update of this spot
--> Longer timeline

mar 2011

nov 2012

jul 2013

now (14 feb 2014)

snowdog liked this post

Last edited by egramsb; February 15th, 2014 at 01:20 PM.
egramsb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #10451
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Maastricht

An aerial photo of the A2 Maastricht tunnel project. This is the southern part, at the Europaplein interchange.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, Agnette, EPA001 liked this post
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #10452
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 BRAVO

A fairly large regional project is the improvement of traffic in the Woerden-Harmelen area west of Utrecht. It's called A12 BRAVO or Brede Regionale Aanpak Voorkomt Oponthoud.

Woerden is a small city of 35,000 inhabitants with a historical core, but is chiefly a suburban commuter town. The entire town is dependent on a single interchange with A12, other roads are narrow dike roads with bike lanes, incapable of handling large volumes of traffic.

Meanwhile, Utrecht grew westward with the 30,000 people subdivision "Leidsche Rijn" which was also poorly connected to A12. It is one of the largest VINEX developments in the Netherlands, planned for some 90,000 people.

Several projects, shown in the map below, will improve access to the A12 by constructing new bypasses and access roads (most of them two-lane).

EPA001, snowdog, Slagathor liked this post
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #10453
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Very nice, never understood the access road to 14a ( nr.9 on above pic), unless you wanted to go west it is very impractical driving the wrong way if you need to go to Utrecht.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #10454
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is a substantial traffic flow west, in fact, the morning rush hour has higher volumes going out of Utrecht than going into Utrecht on A12.
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #10455
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N316 Zeddam - 's-Heerenberg

The Council of State has dismissed all appeals against the construction of the missing link of N316 between Zeddam and 's-Heerenberg in the Gelderland province. Construction can now proceed.

The missing link is approximately 2.2 km long and can be constructed in a year. All crossing traffic will be grade-separated, but it will connect to roundabouts at either end. The idea is to create a bypass of the border town of 's-Heerenberg, to improve traffic from Doetinchem to Emmerich (Germany). It is a municipal road project, but it will likely be exchanged with Gelderland after completion (the old N316 will then become a municipal road).

snowdog liked this post
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #10456
ChrisZwolle
Road user

turbine interchange

Interesting article about the first "turbine interchange" in the Netherlands, dated 1970.

Scan by Wouter.

This interchange was never built. It was supposed to connect A4 and A14 near Leidschendam (just outside The Hague), but A14 was never built. Remarkably, the article states the construction would begin "next year". The construction cost was estimated at 20 million guilders, considered slightly more expensive than a regular interchange at that time.

They note the design was copied from the United States, even though full turbine interchanges are very rare the in the U.S. The most prominent example may be Amarillo, Texas.

snowdog liked this post
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #10457
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

What was the first one actually built?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #10458
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

I don't believe it has...
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #10459
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
What was the first one actually built?
The 'Vaanplein' interchange (A15/A29 south of Rotterdam) was a full turbine interchange ( built around the same time as this proposed interchange). Since around 2003 Vaanplein has been in a state of reconstruction. The last original turbine flyovers should be gone within a year or 2.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #10460
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

The Vaanplein interchange officially wasn't a turbine interchange but a windmill-interchange. Difference:
windmill:

turbine:

Basically: windmill-interchange has tighter curves for the connector ramps.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands