daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:18 PM   #10481
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

A13 Rotterdam. A Shell gas station, but where and when?

devo, Slagathor, bozenBDJ, snowdog liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:29 PM   #10482
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Likely at the A13/N209 interchange just outside Rotterdam. Back in the days the Netherlands had many gas stations at interchanges. This interchange was a trumpet until the late 1980s.

I think this photo was taken in the early 1960s, A13 was widened to six lanes in 1960, it was the first six-lane motorway in the Netherlands.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Surel, devo liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:10 PM   #10483
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It combines the area consumption of roundabouts with the high number of conflict points of regular intersections. Way to go.
Correct, but this solution is usually limited to suburban 50 km/h roads. You rarely see it outside urban areas or near historic cores where space is more limited. One has to understand that perhaps 70% of urban Netherlands was developed after World War II, so there tends to be more space than in some older cities.

It's better than rotondomania, as happens here in Heerhugowaard. Note that Dutch roundabouts are very tight with a diameter of circa 36 m, combined with the angles at which the roads connect to the roundabout, which allow for a lower speed and comfort than seen in most other parts of Europe.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:39 PM   #10484
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15, Botlek Bridge, Rotterdam

Construction of the new Botlek Bridge in Rotterdam.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, snowdog, EPA001 liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:54 PM   #10485
eindhoven the best
Eindhoven

Likes (Received): 287

A76 Simpelveld (Limburg)

As ge nie m์r n่ijsgierig bent, dan worde aauwd.

Fractielid LPF Eindhoven, nummer 6 op de kieslijst (Lijst 9)
eindhoven the best no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:36 PM   #10486
ChrisZwolle
Road user

taxation

The ministry of finance released some figures concerning the fuel excise duty today.

Tax revenue increased in the past 10 years, especially diesel excise duty revenue increased by 55% between 2003 and 2013, while gasoline excise duty revenue increased by 12% during that time.

The total fuel excise duty revenue in 2013 was € 7.5 billion (excluding VAT and strategic oil supply tax).

These are all motoring tax revenues:

* fuel duty: € 7.5 billion
* VAT over fuel duty: € 1.6 billion*
* BPM (new car tax): € 1.8 billion (down from € 3.4 billion in 2006)
* road tax: € 3.2 billion

total: € 14 billion (excluding VAT)

* The Netherlands charges VAT over the total pump price, including fuel duty. So fuel duty itself is taxed too.

The 2013 national road budget is € 2.8 billion. Provincial road budgets are funded through the road tax (partially) and the national government (partially). The provincial road budgets for all 12 provinces combined is estimated at € 1 billion.

Municipal road budgets come from various sources, including local real estate taxes, parking fees and provincial and national government transfers. It's hard to put an accurate estimate on municipal road budgets, but it is estimated at another € 1 billion.

One cannot add all these budgets together because municipal and provincial road projects are partially funded through the national road budget (called MIRT and BDU).

snowdog, Suburbanist liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:10 PM   #10487
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Construction of the new Rotterdamsebaan in The Hague has started! This will be a new tunnel/dual carriageway amed at relieving traffic into The Hague!

snowdog, EPA001 liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:34 PM   #10488
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Actual tunnel boring will not begin until 2017 though. What you'll see now are preparatory works which will take quite a while since it's an urban area with many utilities that need to be relocated.
Old March 4th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #10489
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

I'm not convinced of the use of this project. Seems to me this thing will only really relieve the Prins Clausplein interchange.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #10490
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's one of four upgrade projects into The Hague, to reduce the dependence on A12 Utrechtsebaan.
Old March 4th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #10491
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Yes, therein lies the problem. As far as I can tell, all projects focus on getting cars from the motorway into the city. There doesn't seem to be a coherent strategy to guiding cars around the city before they're funneled into the city center.

I realize the geography is a tad complicated, but is there any project upcoming that would guide incoming traffic to the North or South flank of the city center before turning into it? A few years ago we had the Hubertus tunnel and viaduct but after that, nothing (unless I've missed something).

As it is, all these projects keep pumping traffic into the city center from one direction: the East. This helps very few people.
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #10492
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The idea is to create a half ring road by separating local and express traffic on A4, and let them use one of four major entrances into and from The Hague. The N14 will function as the nothern arc and N221 as the southern arc, with Prinses Beatrixlaan, Rotterdamsebaan and A12 Utrechtsebaan as spurs into the city.

The city is currently too dependent on just the A12 Utrechtsebaan.

A tunnel underneath The Hague to complete the ringroad on the western side was found to be too expensive.

Slagathor, EPA001 liked this post
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #10493
da_scotty

The ANWB (Dutch Automobile Organisation) has concluded that there where less traffic jams and delays this winter due to mild weather. The amount of jams was down by 14% in comparison to february'13. Only in the Amsterdam region the there was a 24% increase in traffic jams.

This is of course logical when you compare the weather in the winter 2013 and the spring-like weather of 2014.
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #10494
ChrisZwolle
Road user

One snowy rush hour can accumulate as many "kilometer minute" delays as a week or more of regular congestion.
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #10495
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Which is why I dislike snow, society slows down, badly.

Trains fail.
Roads are a total chaos.
Not the forget all the salt rubbish corroding your car!

The only plus side is abandoned snowy parkings for some sideways fun.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #10496
da_scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Which is why I dislike snow, society slows down, badly.

Trains fail.
Roads are a total chaos.
Not the forget all the salt rubbish corroding your car!

The only plus side is abandoned snowy parkings for some sideways fun.
I like snow, it takes the edge of things, instead of stressing I usually enjoy taking it a notch down, enjoying the snow and the beauty it brings.
And I take the train as well during these periods, preparation is key to avoid dissapointment, something the Dutch don't understand.
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #10497
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
preparation is key to avoid dissapointment, something the Dutch don't understand.
Yes. This. A thousand times this.
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #10498
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
I like snow, it takes the edge of things, instead of stressing I usually enjoy taking it a notch down, enjoying the snow and the beauty it brings.
And I take the train as well during these periods, preparation is key to avoid dissapointment, something the Dutch don't understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Yes. This. A thousand times this.
Exactly the reason why I don't like public transport personally even though it's free for me . Nothing to do with not understanding, I hate planning, I want to do what I want when I want it, not having to plan out trips, just get out and go, and get somewhere quickly. It's only a last resort if my money's gone and in bad weather.

I'm more of a sunny weather type, sunglasses on, arm out the window, roof open, no thick clothes, take it easy . Love the weather now . Or get on the moped in my t-shirt. Not to mention the Dutch are actually capable of normal driving in good weather mostly, less traffic jams than in winter or autumn.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #10499
postHUMANproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Likely at the A13/N209 interchange just outside Rotterdam.
Spot on! You can see the Overschiese Plassen on the left side, and the Schielaan far on the right.

snowdog liked this post
postHUMANproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #10500
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2014 road works

Not a whole lot of maintenance road works are planned for 2014. Apart from new capacity construction, there are only a few places with road works in 2014.

The most prominent maintenance works are on A16 between Ridderkerk and the Moerdijk Bridge (through Dordrecht) which is the only location with long-term roadworks between 7 March and 13 June. Most lane closures are during the night and weekend, so traffic impact should not be extreme.

Two weekend closures are planned for maintenance on tubes of the A4 Benelux Tunnel in Rotterdam in March.

Several weekend closures are planned for A4 between Rijswijk and the Ypenburg interchange in The Hague in March, April and May. This means the entire A4 around The Hague will be renovated before the A4 extension to Rotterdam opens in late 2015.

Complex works are ongoing at the A12 Galecopper Bridge in Utrecht. The bridge piers are being strengthened and the deck will be replaced. In addition, the bridge will be raised to allow better shipping clearance. Night closures are planned and realigned lanes from late July to November.

There are no other road works that have a long-term impact on traffic flow (i.e. no long-term lane closures, no permanent work zones, etc.) Most work is done during weekend closures and during the night, so traffic impact from road works should be pretty minimal. In 2013, only 4% of traffic congestion in the Netherlands was the result of road works.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands