daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #10501
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Exactly the reason why I don't like public transport personally even though it's free for me . Nothing to do with not understanding, I hate planning, I want to do what I want when I want it, not having to plan out trips, just get out and go, and get somewhere quickly. It's only a last resort if my money's gone and in bad weather.

I'm more of a sunny weather type, sunglasses on, arm out the window, roof open, no thick clothes, take it easy . Love the weather now . Or get on the moped in my t-shirt. Not to mention the Dutch are actually capable of normal driving in good weather mostly, less traffic jams than in winter or autumn.
You plainly live in the wrong country.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #10502
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Hihi, snowdog's ideal country is one like this:
inhabitants: himself
goverment influence: marginal/none
speed limit: gazilion/km/h
roads: empty and wide
gas price: 0,000001 vietnamese dong/liter
weather: constant 25 °C with blue skies!

Rebasepoiss, Billly, EPA001 liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #10503
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I agree sounds like pretty awesome place, Texas isn't so far from that though, but damn, if they get a little snow, or a little ice? Apocalypse
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #10504
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

You heard him, snowdog. Get your ass to Texas.
Old March 6th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #10505
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

I can already see myself driving around my ranch in my white '76 Cadillac Eldorado with the roof down, Ray bans on, cowboyhat .

Anyhow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.rtvoost.nl/nieuws/default.aspx?nid=184236&cat=1
Rene Markink uit Enschede gaat vrijdag knooppunt Azelo op de A35 met auto's blokkeren. Met de actie wil hij aandacht vragen voor de misstanden in de politiek en maatschappij.
Samen met twintig vrienden voert hij de blokkade-actie uit. Om 15.00 uur wordt het verkeer op de snelweg tegengehouden. Met de actie sluit hij aan bij een landelijke protestactie die is ontstaan op Facebook. Volgens Markink is de actie tegen de huidige regering hard nodig omdat er veel misgaat. "Deze regering brengt het geld naar Brussel alsof het water is."
De actie zal volgens Markink veilig verlopen. Mocht het fout dreigen te gaan, dan wordt de actie onmiddellijk gestaakt. Transport en Logistiek Nederland heeft al aangegeven zich te distantiëren van de actie.
Some group wants to block the A35 @ the Azelo interchange with some friends as a protest against the government.

The idea might be good, but the place is completely wrong, if they want to block anything they should block The Hague so the politicials are actually affected.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #10506
da_scotty

Pfff the EuroSceptism in the Netherlands is reaching levels which match crazyness. 99% of the people don't know what they are talking about and just copy populistic quotes from Far Left and Far right.

Blocking a road has what effect?
Old March 6th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #10507
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Interestingly the Dutch and UK contribution to the EU is the lowest percentage of GDP of all EU countries at 0.65%

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

da_scotty liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #10508
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

But NL is still one of the very few net contributors, along with Italy, Germany, Belgium, France, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Austria, UK. All others get from EU more than they pay.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #10509
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Well we can't all receive more than than we pay and if we all reach a perfect 0, what's the point of the budget?

People need to stop whining about a budget that constitutes slightly more than 1% of EU GDP. Hopeless populism.
Old March 6th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #10510
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dutch populists also don't seem to understand that the Netherlands is only a tiny part of the EU. The Netherlands is only 3% of EU. If you follow the comments on the internet you'd think the Netherlands is single-handedly paying for Greek bailouts.

You see the same with Groningen province, which is always complaining how little money they get from the national budget. They don't seem to understand that 97% of the Dutch do not live in Groningen, hence Groningen does not get 10% of the national budget.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, verreme, EPA001 liked this post
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #10511
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Well we can't all receive more than than we pay and if we all reach a perfect 0, what's the point of the budget?
I was just stating a fact, I wasn't giving it political or populistic innuendos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You see the same with Groningen province, which is always complaining how little money they get from the national budget. They don't seem to understand that 97% of the Dutch do not live in Groningen, hence Groningen does not get 10% of the national budget.
Maybe this is not the case for Groningen, but budget should not only be calculated according to population, also to area, terrain, differences in population densities, economic strength... etc
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #10512
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I was just stating a fact, I wasn't giving it political or populistic innuendos.
I know, I was just ranting. It wasn't directed at you.

g.spinoza liked this post
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #10513
ChrisZwolle
Road user

speed cameras

It has been reported that 9 out of 12 "section control" average speed cameras are currently out of order. Their electronic systems are outdated and malfunction so often they decided to shut them all down for the time being.

Apparently, the only remaining section controls are;

* A2 Amsterdam - Utrecht
* A4 at Leidschendam (outside The Hague)
* A12 Harmelen - Woerden (west of Rotterdam)
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #10514
da_scotty

Then again we have speed cameras at constructions sides:

(c)Picture by Michiel

Slagathor liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #10515
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post

People need to stop whining about a budget that constitutes slightly more than 1% of EU GDP. Hopeless populism.
I don't care that much about budget, my main gripe with the EU is the lack of democracy. The Netherlands voted no in the only chance we got, no-one listened. The EU might not be bad overall, but it is currently anti-democratic and I don't like that at all. There is barely any media control, there is barely any parliamentary control. I think those are big issues with the current EU.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #10516
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverworld View Post
The Netherlands voted no in the only chance we got, noone listened.
The problem is that the Netherlands is not the important heavyweight member state the Dutch media lets you believe we are. As I said before, the Netherlands is only 3% of the European Union in terms of population, so things will be decided even if we don't agree with it. That happens in national politics as well, just like provincial or municipal politics.
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #10517
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The problem is that the Netherlands is not the important heavyweight member state the Dutch media lets you believe we are. As I said before, the Netherlands is only 3% of the European Union in terms of population, so things will be decided even if we don't agree with it. That happens in national politics as well, just like provincial or municipal politics.
Of course. However the population in the Netherlands is not alone in its concerns. Again, as long as there is no proper democratic framework in the EU government, it's de facto against the constitution of the Netherlands to go along with it, whether we are small or not.

Last edited by Neverworld; March 6th, 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #10518
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
I can already see myself driving around my ranch in my white '76 Cadillac Eldorado with the roof down, Ray bans on, cowboyhat .
These "end of era" large convertibles, especially 1975 or 1976 Eldorado are surprisingly easy to buy in the USA, and quite cheap, 5 000 Euro will get a very clean example. It's a funny problem... it was expected the USA would adopt very strict roll-over regulations in 1977 or so, and convertibles would have basically become illegal. People rushed to buy convertibles as "investment" in 1976 particularly, and convertible market in the US basically ended in 1977 (except Mercedes 450 SL). But so many bought the investment, and kept the cars practically undriven, that in fact, the investment sucked as there are too many and so the value is lower than other cars

I keep meaning to buy one but never get around to it, I have my economical little European, Saab turbo convertible instead, you can fit in the trunk of the Eldorado. The 1976 Eldorado though is kind of weak to drive, 8.2 litre V8 engine with 190 horsepower from anti-pollution controls. The original 1971 8.2 litre was rated 400 gross hp, now that could move I can't drive my convertible with cowboy hat though, keeps wanting to fly away.

end offtopic
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #10519
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
But NL is still one of the very few net contributors, along with Italy, Germany, Belgium, France, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Austria, UK. All others get from EU more than they pay.
The EU budget is not where the EU money is.

The Netherlands profits mainly from the free movement of goods, services and capital.
http://www.statistics.dnb.nl/index.c...uk&todo=Balans

Last edited by Surel; March 7th, 2014 at 01:04 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #10520
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
The Netherlands profits mainly from the free movement of goods, services and capital.
But as Switzerland shows, you don't need to be in the EU (or even EFTA) to do that. And they get to make their own trade agreements with other countries, enlarging the market they can access with free movement of goods, services and capital much quicker than the EU which is typically very reluctant to do that (only took 40 years for the UK to get back free trade with Canada as the little Europeans kept blocking proposals for EU-Canada free trade agreements ).

There are alternatives to the European project that give the same, if not better, economic results for countries like the Netherlands and the UK (given, EU figures say that the UK loses economically for being in the EU, on that score it is better off out), without the problems that are why people are sceptical of the EU.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands