daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #10641
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

That figure likely includes concurrencies. If you adjust the figure to avoid double counting you'll get 2436 km.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #10642
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

I had that first, wasn't sure about the doubles!
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #10643
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Hi, next wednesday I'm going to trip to Amsterdam, or perhaps Groningen to acompany my brother. He is working in Netherlands now. I've never drove so far, (I stay in Germany in my late teens 15 years ago, but I went by bus), but now I go by car, and I'm going to drive. Well, I have fear, because I never drive this distance.

Well, I never drove at night, so probably my brother starts driving at night in my city (San Sebastian, Basque Country, north of Spain) and then I will drive with light. Probably starting in Paris until Amsterdam.

Well, I know that it is dutch forum, but I would like to know the differences between Spain and Netherlands in terms of driving. If someone of you has driven in Spain, I would like to ask you: Is there a lot of difference?
I'm writting this because I've read that in Netherlands is a lot of traffic and I'm not used to drive in these conditions.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #10644
ChrisZwolle
Road user

From what I gather most foreigners are troubled with the amount of cyclists flying around. Note that especially in student cities like Amsterdam and Groningen cyclists generally ignore most road rules and can be seen making illegal moves, driving on the wrong side, on the sidewalk, left and right around queued cars, through red lights, etc. Also, cyclists often have priority on roundabouts (especially those with cycle lanes on the roundabout). The most problematic are inner city areas, in suburban areas you generally won't have a problem with cyclists because they have their own cycle paths outside traffic.

Other than that driving is not very different. But take note of the speed limit signs as speed limits can change a lot on motorways, especially in the western part of the country. Some motorways have section control (trajectcontrole) which measures the average speed over a longer distance. They are indicated with large signs.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

javimix19 liked this post
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #10645
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

If you are not used to drive in strong traffic conditions, my suggestion is to begin your part AFTER Paris...

About driving together with cyclists, remember two important points:
- when you are approaching an intersection with a major road, stop BEFORE the bike lane and look both ways (even if you're just turning right), because bikes may come from both directions
- when turning right, look carefully at your right side mirror and don't turn if bikes are coming from behind your car.

These points may seem obvious to any half-decent Dutch driver, but they are the most common mistakes I see in the interaction between Italian drivers and bike paths, because they're not used to them.

Take your time to understand the road... Dutch traffic is dense but not so fast-paced as in southern countries.

And follow the lane's markings, don't ever cut through them.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #10646
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

remember also that the standard speed for regular rural roads is 80km/h, not 90km/h like in Spain.
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #10647
piotr71

Mind also priority from the right in town and city's centres.
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #10648
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Hi, next wednesday I'm going to trip to Amsterdam, or perhaps Groningen to acompany my brother. He is working in Netherlands now. I've never drove so far, (I stay in Germany in my late teens 15 years ago, but I went by bus), but now I go by car, and I'm going to drive. Well, I have fear, because I never drive this distance.

Well, I never drove at night, so probably my brother starts driving at night in my city (San Sebastian, Basque Country, north of Spain) and then I will drive with light. Probably starting in Paris until Amsterdam.

Well, I know that it is dutch forum, but I would like to know the differences between Spain and Netherlands in terms of driving. If someone of you has driven in Spain, I would like to ask you: Is there a lot of difference?
I'm writting this because I've read that in Netherlands is a lot of traffic and I'm not used to drive in these conditions.
1) Mind the cyclists. They behave like Kings and Emperors and you should treat them as such, because the law is not in favor of the car.

2) Stay calm. Dutch traffic is busy, but drivers are generally far more relaxed than in Southern Europe. As long as you drive steadily and use your indicators, people won't mind if you take an extra minute to figure out where you're supposed to be going. Especially when they notice your foreign license plate.

Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #10649
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Oh and if you see this kind of road in rural areas, the Vmax isn't 80, it's 60:
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #10650
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

He's not gonna go there, surely.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #10651
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 754

I think javimix19 is completely overwelmed and confused by now, regretting having ever asked

da_scotty, Wilhem275 liked this post
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #10652
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Oh and if you see this kind of road in rural areas, the Vmax isn't 80, it's 60:
Only if signed as a "Zone 60" right?
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #10653
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Only if signed as a "Zone 60" right?
Indeed. The road markings in that pic do suggest 60 km/h, but it's only actually 60 km/h if there's a 60 sign (with or without the Zone, only without the 'Zone' another sign has to be placed after every intersection). The road markings are supposed to help drivers identify which speed limit they are supposed to drive, however, due to inconsistency this is not really recommendable.
But you can still use it as a reminder, just be careful and still look at the signs.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #10654
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

I don't like the zone signs outside of a built up area, and even inside it can be sometimes quite confusing. Moreover, the zone signs seem to be growing like mushrooms after a rain these days.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #10655
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I don't like the zone signs outside of a built up area, and even inside it can be sometimes quite confusing. Moreover, the zone signs seem to be growing like mushrooms after a rain these days.
Last time I drove in Fryslan I noticed the gemeenten put a lot of these "zone 60" and sometimes "zone 30" signs on rural local roads. It is not like they are getting tons of traffic avoiding freeways or anything.
Old April 8th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #10656
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
60 km/h became the de-facto rural speed limit in the Netherlands. 80 km/h is reserved mostly for provincial roads and some major connecting roads. As far as I know only Japan has such low speed limits.
Old April 9th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #10657
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

It's really odd considering NL is so flat and the roads are generally wide and straight... at 60 km/h, the road is useless, you can drive faster overland the veld

Japan at least has some excuses...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:00 AM   #10658
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

I get the feeling that the roads generally aren't that wide.. at least from my experience they are typically skinny enough that you have to significantly slow down if there is someone coming the other direction.

Billly liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #10659
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There has never been a proper design standard for 60 km/h roads. They vary from as little as 3.5 m to over 8 meters wide. Some have cyclists on the road, some have separate bike paths alongside. Some are winding, some are dead straight.
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #10660
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

The 60 and 30 zones are the main reason I hate duurzaam veilig.
Any road not designated a ''through road'' gets ruined to a 60 zone, stupid markings, speedbumps or even narrowed and chicanes made.

The UK is much better in that aspect, they keep them NSL (national speed limit, 60mph/100kph, much better than the rubbish 80 km/h even on ''through'' roads here) there and it's the drivers responsibility to drive at a safe speed...
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands