daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #10721
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The motorway is built with a cross slope to accomodate higher speeds in curves. The design is correct, but the drainage isn't. This has happened a few times before, but only in cases of extreme precipitation.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #10722
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N50 Island Bridge

An orange yacht in front of the N50 "Island Bridge" near Kampen, in preparation for King's Day tomorrow.

Old April 25th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #10723
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Are trucks the safest per km driven?
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #10724
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Intersection with a free right turn at all quadrants in Deventer (Amstellaan / N344). It's not a standard design feature in the Netherlands because there are often conflicts with cyclists. But they've constructed nice bike tunnels under this slightly raised intersection.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, snowdog, NS162, Henk liked this post
Old April 26th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #10725
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Well, I drove to Amsterdam last week with my brother starting Basque Country. Netherlands has toll free motorways and I like this motorways. Sorry when I asked if motorways had cycle lanes, it's a bad question. Motorways in Netherlands are great, same as in Spain, or in Basque Country or in south in France. You have a good motorways and roads. Netherlands is a very developed country. I admire you. Your roads are in great condition. Perfect!!

My critique is about motorways in France. It is very expensive to drive from Spain/France frontier to France/Belgium frontier. I drove last week from Lille to Belgium toll free. But driving from Hendaye to Lille (Belgian frontier) is 160 euros.

I don't understand french politics. France is one of the richest countries in the world. So, Why it puts tolls in motorways?

People from Netherlands, you are lucky to use now in 2014 a toll free system of motorways.

Last edited by javimix19; April 26th, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #10726
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

And don't forget les controles automatiques

Better to drive by Germany
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #10727
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Germany is buggered with radars on their motorways. I got done twice in one day the other week: one in Germany near Freiburg and one in Switzerland near St Gallen. I already got the German one in the mail: 10€
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #10728
Kanadzie

So even German speeding ticket, cheaper than French toll The worst of Germany still cheaper than best of France

MichiH liked this post
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:39 AM   #10729
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Well, I drove to Amsterdam last week with my brother starting Basque Country. Netherlands has toll free motorways and I like this motorways. Sorry when I asked if motorways had cycle lanes, it's a bad question. Motorways in Netherlands are great, same as in Spain, or in Basque Country or in south in France. You have a good motorways and roads. Netherlands is a very developed country. I admire you. Your roads are in great condition. Perfect!!

My critique is about motorways in France. It is very expensive to drive from Spain/France frontier to France/Belgium frontier. I drove last week from Lille to Belgium toll free. But driving from Hendaye to Lille (Belgian frontier) is 160 euros.

I don't understand french politics. France is one of the richest countries in the world. So, Why it puts tolls in motorways?

People from Netherlands, you are lucky to use now in 2014 a toll free system of motorways.
Assuming that you have taken the A10 all the way to Paris and A1 to Lille you could have saved yourself quite a bit of money without losing much extra time. From Bordeaux to Poitiers there is a free dual carriageway running practically parallel to the A10. And you also had the option coming of at Chartres and cut across via Rouen and Calais....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #10730
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Furthermore there is a trick for avoiding the toll on the new A63 in Les Landes.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #10731
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
But driving from Hendaye to Lille (Belgian frontier) is 160 euros.
It sounds like you have a larger vehicle than a standard passenger car, because the tolls are about half that, or did you count both ways (I agree it's a lot of money though).
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #10732
AlanHaydar

Likes (Received): 1

i love netherlands
AlanHaydar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #10733
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think it requires two tunnels, under de Oude Maas and Spui. Additionally, it would preferably require a replacement of the Haringvliet Bridge with a wider span. The current span is obsolete in terms of design standards.
The Haringvlietbrug should also be raised higher by at least 3 meters to minimise openings for mostly recreational traffic. And should be at least 2 x 3 lanes.

Further down the road the current A4 near Bergen op Zoom wil become very stressed after the A4-South between Dinteloord and Halsteren will be opened.

So the plans of the 6 provinces in The Netherlands and Belgium should aim for an increase of the capacity at the current and the to be expected bottlenecks.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #10734
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHaydar View Post
i love netherlands
Everyone loves NL. It's like Australia for some reason, just so much love
Old April 27th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #10735
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Intersection with a free right turn at all quadrants in Deventer (Amstellaan / N344). It's not a standard design feature in the Netherlands because there are often conflicts with cyclists. But they've constructed nice bike tunnels under this slightly raised intersection.

Very very often there aren't though, I don't understand this is not a standard design for any intersection without conflicting cycle paths or sidewalks.

This should be applied to any intersection without cyclists, same with T intersections for going ''straight''.

There should be thousands of these types of intersections, but no, pesky traffic lights to turn right, and more often waiting for nothing at all at a red light than being able to continue without stopping .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #10736
Kanadzie

In Montreal they have actually closed up several such intersections for that "cyclist and pedestrian" reason, even though they had zebra crossings there... even though the design itself works really well. But also the "right on red" is not allowed here, and it is an obvious (and free!) solution...
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #10737
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
They are regular in Delft though, with cyclist and pedestrian crossings
For example:

https://www.google.nl/maps/search/vr...b05ca3c54bd43d

and

https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.00168...JaxUyHYlbQ!2e0

Last edited by da_scotty; April 27th, 2014 at 01:40 PM.
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #10738
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

are there in NL level crossings (railroad) in inhabited areas? i have noticed that NL is one of rare (maybe the only) countries where bells on level crossings ring all the time when barriers are down, not only when they are setting down. and those bells are extremely noise, probably the noisest in Europe.
i would go mad if i lived beside one.
Old April 27th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #10739
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Hmm you get used to it, but to answer your question, yes, all over the place!

Although they are getting fewer in number, they are still widespread, for example my parents hometown (60.000 people) has 12 level crossings in this 7,5 km stretch with 2 station crossings, 4 main roads and 1 Cycle Street and the remainder regular city street crossings. The Blue arrow is a former crossing.

[IMG]http://i62.************/2pyqhpv.png[/IMG]

Last edited by da_scotty; April 27th, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #10740
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Zwolle might be notable, there are railroads in 6 directions (8 if you count train services which split off outside Zwolle), but there are only 4 level crossings in the urban area.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands