daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #10741
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i would go mad if i lived beside one.
Meh... You get used to it, my aunt lives close to the Hoorn-Kerseboogerd train station with a level crossing nearby. Very close, close enough to hear every train passing by and hear it every time when the barriers are down. It was annoying the first day, but after 3 days I just didn't hear it anymore.
That includes trains in the middle of the night btw, since Hoorn-Kerseboogerd receives night-trains as well.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #10742
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

N201 Amstel Aquaduct

The Amstel Aquaduct that will open in May.

IMG_4525 by Benjamin van der Velden, on Flickr

IMG_4528 by Benjamin van der Velden, on Flickr

IMG_4529 by Benjamin van der Velden, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Agnette, Godius liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #10743
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

where is it located?
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #10744
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Here: http://goo.gl/maps/8U7xq

IMHO it was a mistake to construct just two lanes. N201 is notorious for its heavy traffic. The forecasted AADT is 20,000 vpd without a "cut" in the old route and 28,000 with a cut (meaning all traffic has to use this aquaduct).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:22 PM   #10745
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Zwolle has been added to the control cities of the twinned N33.

N33 39 LI 5 by fred3324, on Flickr

Agnette liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:31 PM   #10746
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Maastricht

Maastricht will also get an A2/N2 dual setup like Eindhoven. The double-deck tunnel features 4 tubes, the 2 lowest are for A2 through traffic, the upper 2 tubes are for N2 local traffic.

The first signs were already installed recently, even though the tunnel won't open for another 2 years or so.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:42 PM   #10747
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Have they changed the criteria for marking French-speaking cities? I remember seeing Luik in Flanders and in the Netherlands referring to Liège. It is the first time I see Liège in a Dutch sign.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:46 PM   #10748
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, they started using endonyms on all signs a couple of years ago. So they will sign Liège, Köln, Aachen, etc. I think most of them were already signed with endonyms, for example I do not remember signs with "Emmerik" (Emmerich) or "Kleef" (Kleve) in recent times. They may have existed in the past though.

Liège is the only French-language destination on Dutch motorways though. Only a small part of the Netherlands borders Wallonia and most other north-south routes only have Flemish cities (Brussels is not signed in the Netherlands).
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:50 PM   #10749
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

There was the Paris sign near Schiphol (not Parijs)
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:53 PM   #10750
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, they started using endonyms on all signs a couple of years ago. So they will sign Liège, Köln, Aachen, etc. I think most of them were already signed with endonyms, for example I do not remember signs with "Emmerik" (Emmerich) or "Kleef" (Kleve) in recent times. They may have existed in the past though.

Liège is the only French-language destination on Dutch motorways though. Only a small part of the Netherlands borders Wallonia and most other north-south routes only have Flemish cities (Brussels is not signed in the Netherlands).
Well, it follows the EU recommendations for signaling foreign cities. It makes sense. Anyway, in the case of Brussels the most appropriate way would be the bilingual form in French and Flemish.

However, I remember this Brussels indication in Southern Limburg: https://www.google.es/maps/@50.83578...hZN15l6QSg!2e0

There is any sign in the Netherlands with bilingual toponym?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:55 PM   #10751
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There was the Paris sign near Schiphol (not Parijs)
Link?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:04 PM   #10752
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A few signs were placed on major exit routes of Amsterdam with far away destinations. They are not regular signage, just some gimmick.

A4 Geniedijk-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Luki_SL liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:06 PM   #10753
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

Brussels (Brussel) is signed all over southern Limburg now, especially around Maastricht and Stein. (A2, A76 interchange)

Last edited by Road_UK; May 2nd, 2014 at 10:24 PM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:06 PM   #10754
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Not that I am aware of. However, you can find many signs in Friesland with placenames in Frisian, these are mostly small villages, the major cities are signed in Dutch. For example, the capital of Friesland is signed as Leeuwarden, not Ljouwert. I doubt if the average Dutch notices the difference as long as there are no special accents used.

Iens = Edens in Dutch
Easterein = Oosterend in Dutch

N359-72 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Reivajar liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:10 PM   #10755
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

...the capital of Friesland is signed as Leeuwarden and Ljouwert

Godius liked this post
Agnette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:13 PM   #10756
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's a city limit sign, not directional signage. You can also find city limit signs with Limburg dialects, not to mention the dozens of carnival names during that time.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:18 PM   #10757
Reivajar

Carnival names?
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:46 AM   #10758
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
I remember this Brussels indication in Southern Limburg: https://www.google.es/maps/@50.83578...hZN15l6QSg!2e0

Nope. And I have once read EU guidance that references to Brussels in endonym would end up rather tricky, so that the EU recommends its member states to simply use the local exonym.

I think that it is fair to say that Liège is the only town in francophone territory with a Dutch exonym that is signposted from the Netherlands. Maybe one or two signs for Visé but that will be on local roads only. For a few decades the Dutch found a reason to deviate from the endonym principle as they had adopted it. Sometimes authorities referred to the first sign after the border, the representation of which was merely replicated further up on the A2. Then the first sign after the border changed and in came the principle that Luik was as much as an endonym as Liège, since Luik featured on official Belgian lists as the Dutch language name of a town otherwise known as Liège. Whatever the statutory status of Luik, I think that sense prevailed.

Last edited by -Pino-; May 3rd, 2014 at 10:42 AM.
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:11 AM   #10759
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is a strip of Flanders between Limburg and Wallonia at that location. It's only about 400 meters of road before you enter Wallonia from the Netherlands, with one sign saying Luik-Liège.

The idea is generally to use endonyms (local names) and to have continuity on the signs. For example it makes no sense to use Berlin on the signs in the Netherlands, because the Germans don't continue that destination after the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Carnival names?
Most Dutch cities (especially in the catholic south) have "honorary" names during carnival, and some blokes put them on the city limit signs. For example Zwolle becomes Sassendonk and Eindhoven becomes Lampegat during carnival for those guys.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:58 PM   #10760
Reivajar

Funny... I had no idea.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands