daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #10781
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

The Caribbean island of Sint Maarten seems to be the first place where signage is installed according to the new guidelines of 2014.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #10782
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Courtesy of Rijkswaterstaat? Will they be running the show in the Dutch Caribbean?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #10783
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6090

I imagine Rijkswaterstaat, even though it has the word 'rijk' in it only maintains the roads and road signs in the country of the Netherlands. On Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten the local DOTs do. But I'm guessing the road(sign) rules are sort of the same. There's also no Rijkswaterstaat logo on the signs like we have here on the mainland.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #10784
Road_UK
BANNED

There isn't. But these signs are clearly manufactured in the Netherlands, as I have noticed a few Dutch motorway signs in stock as well.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #10785
Road_UK
BANNED

This is a situation I've noticed a while ago as I was waiting for an open bridge. On the left is an old ANWB sign, on the right the new Rijkswaterstaat one. I clearly prefer the old ANWB one, what do you think?

(do zoom if you can't see properly)
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #10786
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

What's behind the roundabout pannels? There is in Sint Maarten any road with a red road number rectangle?

Because I feel the picture hasn't been taken in the Caribbean but in the Netherlands.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #10787
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
What's behind the roundabout pannels? There is in Sint Maarten any road with a red road number rectangle?

Because I feel the picture hasn't been taken in the Caribbean but in the Netherlands.
As I was saying earlier: these signs are clearly manufactured in the Netherlands. These motorway signs seems to be leading to Groningen en Utrecht if I am not mistaken.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #10788
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

My guess is that it's a motorway sign signalling Utrecht and Groningen.

EDIT: too late!

Road_UK liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #10789
Road_UK
BANNED

Am I invisible?
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #10790
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
This is a situation I've noticed a while ago as I was waiting for an open bridge. On the left is an old ANWB sign, on the right the new Rijkswaterstaat one. I clearly prefer the old ANWB one, what do you think?
Both signs are ANWB, on the left is the "old school" sign, which was phased out in the early 2000s in favor of ANWB Redesign, like the sign on the right. However, redesign is now being phased out in the new guidelines of 2014, however it will take a while for the new signs to gain ground. But the ANWB installed over 100,000 directional signs with Redesign in the 2002-2007 period.

Rijkswaterstaat never implemented ANWB Redesign, in fact ANWB lost its monopoly on road signage in the Netherlands. Some provinces later tendered road signage to Tebodin, which also doesn't use Redesign.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Road_UK liked this post
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #10791
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Apparently, there is a problem with the work conditions of subcontrators of A4 project in Delft. Foreign workers are sometimes hired in violation of Dutch laws, there is a somehow grey area about subcontracting mobile, but site-specific, work.

Source (Dutch): http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2680/...tbuiting.dhtml
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #10792
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This happened with A2 in Maastricht as well. The major contractors use international employment agencies that reportedly pay little taxes and require large "housing payments" to be deducted from the salaries. If you look at the paycheck, it seems to conform to Dutch regulation, but these agencies cut off hundreds of euros for dubious costs.
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #10793
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

I read they were charging up to € 750/month in housing costs for workers earning € 23000/year, which is totally absurd and much more than they would pay had they rented social housing on their own and getting subsidies for low income.
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #10794
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I read they were charging up to € 750/month in housing costs for workers earning € 23000/year, which is totally absurd and much more than they would pay had they rented social housing on their own and getting subsidies for low income.
And is it easy for not Dutch speakers?

For sure, those companies are taking advantage of foreigners who don't know the country and probably the language (in the case of the Netherlands)... a pity, shit happens. However the good point is that apparently they are in the way of solving it.
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #10795
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post

(do zoom if you can't see properly)
I dislike that they seem to put all the signs high up on a pole, in stead of where your eyes normally focus on; road-level. Seems like the most useless thing ever, but I'm sure there's a reason for it.

Does anyone know how the sign would be positioned according to the new guidelines?
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #10796
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

The main reason I believe is that low signs are blocked by trucks. Don't pin me down on this though.
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #10797
Road_UK
BANNED

I find the Dutch signposting quite unique. High up and visible for everyone to see, unlike those Belgian signs against a wall of a building, obscured by parked vehicles, bikes or human beings.
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #10798
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
The main reason I believe is that low signs are blocked by trucks. Don't pin me down on this though.
Yes, I think the same about high signs. It is really disturbing when a truck or big vehicle hide exactly the sign you need (Murphy's law ). However, in single lanes roads I found it pretty useless.
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #10799
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Caribbean island of Sint Maarten seems to be the first place where signage is installed according to the new guidelines of 2014.

I'd like to learn more about the new guidelines. Can you give any more information about how they're changing, or maybe a link?
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #10800
sotonsi

Why is the airport signed both ways? When is Sint Maarten going to get some road numbers, like the other side of the Island has? At least then it would be confusing to see the airport signed two ways.

I also can't quite place the junction on the ground - that side turn from the Marigot road to the airport is confusing me.

Interesting that they don't tell you that Marigot is over a border. Especially as it is a external EU border (Sint Maarten not in the EU, Saint-Martin is in the EU).
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands