daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2014, 08:52 PM   #10861
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A8 Amsterdam - Westzaan

I filmed the A8 in both directions last weekend. It begins on the A5 viaduct, then through the new Coen Tunnel, and onto the widened A8. I turned around at Westzaan and then proceeded across the A8 to Amsterdam.

And oh yes, Poland is not the only country with huge noise barriers

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Rebasepoiss, devo liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2014, 04:10 PM   #10862
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N261 Tilburg - Waalwijk

Construction works to rebuild N261 into a controlled-access expressway are taking shape.

Note that the left carriageway is split into two separate through lanes.

A59-N261 interchange.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, MichiH, EPA001 liked this post
Old May 25th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #10863
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The second and largest contract of the "Centrale As" project in Friesland province has been awarded. The € 46.7 million contract will construct a 2x2 100 km/h expressway and a new aqueduct underneath the Princes Margriet Canal. The second contract is the center part of the project, around Burgum.
The northern-most 7km section is u/c. Has the construction of the 2nd section already been started?

Quote:
The tender procedure for the widening of the N62 in Zeeland province has started. The contract will be awarded in early 2014 and full-scale construction will begin in April/May 2014.
Has the construction already been started?
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #10864
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The northern-most 7km section is u/c. Has the construction of the 2nd section already been started?
It is planned to begin in June.

Quote:
Has the construction already been started?
There are two segments of N62 to be widened, north and south of the Westerschelde Tunnel.

Construction on twinning the "Sloeweg" (northern) part is suppose to begin in "early 2014",1 but I haven't read about it since.

The twinning of the "Tractaatweg" (southern) part will begin in mid-2015 2 and should be completed by early 2017.

MichiH liked this post
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #10865
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Delft - Schiedam

A few photos of the A4 at Schiedam I took on Saturday. The Netherlands held the "day of construction", where you can visit construction sites. Over 125,000 people attended.

1. Entering the southbound tube of the 2.0 km Tunnel Schiedam.

A4 Tunnel Schiedam 24-05-2014-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

2. In the southbound tube. It is designed for 4 lanes.

A4 Tunnel Schiedam 24-05-2014-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

3. Looking north towards Delft.

A4 Tunnel Schiedam 24-05-2014-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

4. View across the tunnel / coffin.

A4 Tunnel Schiedam 24-05-2014-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

5. Zoom out.

A4 Tunnel Schiedam 24-05-2014-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #10866
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N35, Nijverdal

A photo of the N35 Tunnel in Nijverdal, during the "construction day" (24/5). I visited this project as well, but didn't have time to get in line for the basket crane because I had to drive across the country to Schiedam.

Old May 27th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #10867
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N210 Rotterdam - Krimpen

A video of the N210 in suburban Rotterdam, through Capelle & Krimpen aan den IJssel. It features the Van Brienenoord Bridge and the Algera Bridge. The latter bridge has the highest intensity/capacity value of any road in the Netherlands.

Old May 27th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #10868
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Catastrophic corridor that has to be avoided like the plague anywhere between 4 and 6.30 pm.

Why it's not a a grade separated road is beyond me, especially traffic going through to Nieuwerkerk and Capelle is hindered badly by the traffic to the Krimperwaard.

And those bus lanes on the Rijckevorstelweg, ugh, what a waste of good asphalt. Same for the retarded rule that buses can go 70 on the Algeraweg but cars can only go 50, like those bus ****ers aren't noisy. Also the fault of the stupid poverty flats and NIMBY Whingers on the Revius and Veleriusrondeel.

I've worked in the stormpolder in the past, and it's very very annoying to travel there. These days I'm still bothered by the traffic there sometimes on the Rijckevorstelweg, my mum lives there in the neighborhood '''s Gravenland''.

Kralingseplein should be a fully grade separated interchange too, the chaos that ensues there is unbelievable sometimes ( though mostly caused by a congested A16).

Last edited by snowdog; May 27th, 2014 at 07:14 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #10869
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

So... Snowdog...

What else do you do in life apart from complaining winching and moaning about infrastructure and slow drivers?

Have you considered moving somewhere else if you don't like the (superior) roads in your country?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #10870
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
So... Snowdog...

What else do you do in life apart from complaining winching and moaning about infrastructure and slow drivers?

Have you considered moving somewhere else if you don't like the (superior) roads in your country?
Country? I'm on about the local roads, R'dam North and west is an infrastructural catastrophe. I'll gladly move to an area like Friesland at some point to have decent infra for the number of people that live there, unlike near R'dam.

The reason I hate nimby whingers an complain about them is that they are mostly people who don't understand that some have to use those congested roads daily for work, like me... More than 200.000 cars worth of people in the case of the A16.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #10871
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Snowdog... take a short walk around the block, calm down and relax.. like seriously..

Road_UK liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #10872
ChrisZwolle
Road user

As I indicated, the Algera Bridge is the most congested stretch of roadway in the Netherlands. It carries 50,000 vehicles per day on 2 lanes plus a reversible lane. It has the highest intensity/capacity ratio of any road in the Netherlands.

All of Krimpen and Nederlek municipalities (44,000 people) depend on this single crossing to get anywhere. Since all jobs and other functions are west, into the Rotterdam area, there is a huge flow of traffic outbound in the morning and inbound in the evening.

They really need to replace the outdated 1958 bridge with a new four-lane bridge (perhaps even six lanes, with bus lanes). I also think there should be a flyover or dive-under at the Capelseplein where N210 and N219 meet.

Another option is to extend the A38 from Ridderkerk to Krimpen via a tunnel under the Maas River. This would provide another outlet of the Krimpen area, and shorten driving distance to the southern part of the Rotterdam metro area.
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #10873
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
The latter bridge has the highest intensity/capacity value of any road in the Netherlands.
Is that data for the section roundabout - exit just before the bridge or actually the data ON the bridge? Cause if that's 50.000 there...
What's the intensity/capacity value there? Something like 2.5?!
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #10874
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's the volume on the bridge. The I/C value is 1.5. Usually 0.7 - 0.9 is considered saturated and 0.9+ is significantly congested. So you can imagine how bad the situation is at this bridge.
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #10875
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N33 Zuidbroek - Appingedam

The province of Groningen presented a plan to twin the N33 from Zuidbroek (A7) to Appingedam. They want to fund this project in the amount of € 78 million. This would turn this part of N33 into a 2x2, 100 km/h, controlled-access expressway.

The national government is not interested in this project, because the traffic volumes of 9,000 - 10,000 vehicles per day do not warrant a twinning of N33.

snowdog liked this post
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #10876
postHUMANproject

As a former taxi driver in this area, i can assure you this bottle neck is the biggest congestion horror of the Rijnmond area, by far. The bridge, which opens frequently, should be replaced with a 4lane tunnel, at least
postHUMANproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #10877
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4, Schiedam

New aerial photos of the A4 at Schiedam.

more photos here

By De Fotograaf
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #10878
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Do they have a specific date (week or month) for planned opening?
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #10879
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5831

Quote:
As I indicated, the Algera Bridge is the most congested stretch of roadway in the Netherlands. It carries 50,000 vehicles per day on 2 lanes plus a reversible lane. It has the highest intensity/capacity ratio of any road in the Netherlands.

All of Krimpen and Nederlek municipalities (44,000 people) depend on this single crossing to get anywhere. Since all jobs and other functions are west, into the Rotterdam area, there is a huge flow of traffic outbound in the morning and inbound in the evening.

They really need to replace the outdated 1958 bridge with a new four-lane bridge (perhaps even six lanes, with bus lanes). I also think there should be a flyover or dive-under at the Capelseplein where N210 and N219 meet.

Another option is to extend the A38 from Ridderkerk to Krimpen via a tunnel under the Maas River. This would provide another outlet of the Krimpen area, and shorten driving distance to the southern part of the Rotterdam metro area.
That option is by far the best one. It would relieve the whole corridors N210 & N219 and the Kralingeplein and A16-Van Brienenoordbrug. That connection is badly needed but as usual the Rotterdam Metropolitan Area always seems to come last when the spreading of funds to infrastructural projects is concerned.

Maybe that impression is incorrect on my part, but compared to other parts in the country where roads are being upgraded or connections made where there is much less pressure on the infrastructure, it just seems that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Do they have a specific date (week or month) for planned opening?
They still plan on "the end of 2015" and so far they seem to be working according to (or a bit faster) than planned.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #10880
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
Maybe that impression is incorrect on my part, but compared to other parts in the country where roads are being upgraded or connections made where there is much less pressure on the infrastructure, it just seems that way.
Rotterdam's infrastructure is more expensive to upgrade. It needs the most new motorway routes while having to deal with numerous rivers.

A16 and A20 are difficult to upgrade on their current routes, that is why A13-A16 is being developed, and A4 + A24 on the west side of Rotterdam. The Benelux Tunnel was expanded back in 2002. The A15 widening will wrap up next year.

Another problem with Rotterdam is the need for new motorway routes, which are politically more difficult than a road widening. Especially the PvdA is sensitive for vocal minorities (anti-road clubs) and tends to miss the bigger picture. I don't understand why left-wing parties aren't more pro-roads because the bulk of their electorate have blue-collar jobs which are often only accessible by car. Back in the 1960s Labor was much more pro-roads than they are today.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands