daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #10881
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Rotterdam's infrastructure is more expensive to upgrade. It needs the most new motorway routes while having to deal with numerous rivers.

A16 and A20 are difficult to upgrade on their current routes, that is why A13-A16 is being developed, and A4 + A24 on the west side of Rotterdam. The Benelux Tunnel was expanded back in 2002. The A15 widening will wrap up next year.
I was wondering, do you if anything is known about the road numbering for the A13/A16? Could it also become A24?

Everyone who looks on the map of Rotterdam can see that the A24 and the A13/A16 are the beginning of a new northern ring road of Rotterdam, which could be good for reducing the congestion within the greater urban area.
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #10882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

An A24 as a northern arc of Rotterdam was actually planned in the 1970s. However, it is explicitely not planned today. There is no space for interchanges with A4 and A13.

Back in the days A24 was even planned to extend all the way to A2 at Nieuwegein.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #10883
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another example of pointless downgrading... replacing an interchange with traffic lights in Enschede.

Old May 28th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #10884
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Why would they do that? Now all traffic has to halt and pull up again...pollution anyone?
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #10885
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Why would they do that? Now all traffic has to halt and pull up again...pollution anyone?
The argument was that the overpass harmed the views and experience of visitors arriving at the university (there is a major campus right there).
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #10886
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

lol, it's not even a large bridge and the overpass would mostly look like a grass hill from all sides?
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #10887
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
lol, it's not even a large bridge and the overpass would mostly look like a grass hill from all sides?
Google Maps still has the old imagery there: http://goo.gl/maps/BdL0g
Old May 29th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #10888
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N33 Assen - Zuidbroek

Another stretch of four-lane expressway opened to traffic on Monday 26/5. From Gieten to Veendam-Zuid. There are now 2x2 lanes for 27 km.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, snowdog, lafreak84, Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
Old May 29th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #10889
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N33

You can see how fast they are reconstructing N33.

I took this photo on 30 March 2014:

N33 Bareveld-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

This photo was taken on 25 May 2014, less than two months later:
Old May 30th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #10890
maral

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The province of Groningen presented a plan to twin the N33 from Zuidbroek (A7) to Appingedam. They want to fund this project in the amount of € 78 million. This would turn this part of N33 into a 2x2, 100 km/h, controlled-access expressway.

The national government is not interested in this project, because the traffic volumes of 9,000 - 10,000 vehicles per day do not warrant a twinning of N33.
We have got some money to spend overhere, that shows if you twin this part for ten's of millions of Euro's. Twinning this part is trying to get better connections to the ports of Delfzijl and Eemshaven hoping it will give it a boost as well.
Not sure if this is money well spend though.
maral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #10891
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15, Botlek Bridge, Rotterdam

I took this photo last Saturday.

Botlekbrug 24-05-2014 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

There's also a new elevated highway under construction that connects the Hartel Bridge with the Botlek Bridge.

A15 Spijkenisse by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

riiga, snowdog, keokiracer, EPA001 liked this post
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #10892
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A10, Coen Tunnel, Amsterdam

The Coen Tunnel will close for 4 days in both directions for the final works. It will be closed from 16/7 and reopen op 21/7. After that, full capacity through the tunnel will be available. That means the works to construct a second twin-tube tunnel are completed, and also means the reversible lanes will go into operation. Peak hour capacity will then be increased from 2 to 5 lanes in the peak direction (inbound in the morning and outbound in the afternoon).

image hosted on flickr

Suburbanist, Reivajar, EPA001 liked this post
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #10893
Pietruch

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
They just don't wont people use their cars between Hengelo and Enchede. There is good connection by train, by bus (BRT), even by bike (only 8km between city centers, more comfortable with new F35 fietssnelweg).

Less cars, less pollution. Even if you have less pollution with overpass on this crossing, you have bigger traffic on the other intersection without overpass and more pollution there...

I thought everyone in Netherlands heard about Sustainable transport...
Pietruch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:03 AM   #10894
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Do you really think one more traffic light is disencouraging car usage? To me it would just be like another annoying stop. I don't think anyone will quit using their car because there's one more stoplight.

Pollution and fuel consumption issues, however, look more serious to me.
Old May 31st, 2014, 02:58 AM   #10895
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Do you really think one more traffic light is disencouraging car usage? To me it would just be like another annoying stop. I don't think anyone will quit using their car because there's one more stoplight.

Pollution and fuel consumption issues, however, look more serious to me.
Political correctness, left wing always thinks not adding any asphalt or enforcing any anti mobility rules will discourage people to drive. Statistics show otherwise, therefore they are doing nothing but ''bullying'' the drivers. Anti social anti car idiots... Blinded by their political correctness. NIMBY should never prevail over economic reasons.

But what can you do eh ? Public transport is way to slow an inefficient, not to mention, STILL more expensive than private transport.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:30 PM   #10896
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Amsterdam - Utrecht

A video of A2 from Amsterdam to Utrecht.

This motorway would be so much more pleasant to drive if it had a 120 or 130 km/h speed limit. Right now everybody is sticking to 95-100 km/h. Even when this video is sped up 4 x, it still seems like very slow passing...

Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:28 PM   #10897
Suburbanist
on the road

Increased fines for tachograph tampering

Fines for driving trucks in violation of hours and rest regulations, usually by falsifying registers on the tachograph, will be sharply increased.

Drivers will now pay € 1500 (instead of € 550). Truck fleet companies will pay € 4400 (instead of € 1300).

Quote:
De boetes voor vrachtwagenchauffeurs en hun werkgever die sjoemelen met de registratie van rust- en rijtijden gaan zaterdag fors omhoog. Voor chauffeurs die knoeien met de digitale tachograaf gaat de boete omhoog van 550 naar 1500 euro. Voor de werkgevers gaat de boete van 1300 of 2200 euro naar 4400 euro.

Het is belangrijk voor de verkeersveiligheid en hun eigen gezondheid dat chauffeurs zich aan de rijtijden houden, zegt de Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport. Daarnaast leidt fraude met de tachograaf tot oneerlijke concurrentie met bedrijven die zich wel aan de wet houden.
Source: NOS
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:49 PM   #10898
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The € 1500 fine is for tampering with the tachograph, not for exceeding the driver's working hours.

This all boils down to enforcement. You can state heavy fines, but if there is virtually no chance of being checked, it's still profitable to tamper with the tachograph.
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:54 PM   #10899
Suburbanist
on the road

I think the EU should develop an EU-wide "black box" mandate and protocol for trucks and buses. A device that is really difficult to tamper, which also registers data traffic for like 90 days. That way, even spotty checks can theoretically catch violators, even if they are in other country.

Some countries' traffic law enforcement fine drivers exceeding hours abroad, others don't.
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:59 PM   #10900
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Some countries' traffic law enforcement fine drivers exceeding hours abroad, others don't.
Enforcement of driving hours is an easy cash cow. The fines are high, but I don't think sending out heavy fines for driving 20 minutes over the limit really makes a difference for traffic safety. It's different of course, if there's continuous or blatant driving over the limits.

On the other hand, small delivery vans are not subject to the Driver's working hours and can drive all day long if they want to. Research shows that driver's fatigue strongly increases after 10 - 11 hours of driving in one day, no matter if you drive a semi truck or a van or car.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands