daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2014, 10:51 PM   #10901
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A video of A2 from Amsterdam to Utrecht.
This stretch of the road is so daft. An ultra wide motorway with an ultra low speed limit. If one had widened the motorway to a 3+3+3+3 or 2+3+3+2 set-up instead the road would still be within the current boundary and one could have allowed speeds of up to 130 km/h. That would have been a better motorway.

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2014, 12:14 AM   #10902
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
and one could have allowed speeds of up to 130 km/h.
The speed limit has nothing to do with the width of the road, but with an agreement between the national government and local municipalities. The road after the widening was originally going to be 2x4 lanes, but for the future that wasn't enough. The national government made a deal with the municipalities to prevent them from protesting against the 'extended' widening: the highway will be made wider (2x5 lanes) and the speed limit would be lowered to 100 km/h (the old extremely congested 2x3 highway had a speed limit of 120).
And that is the reason this is 100 km/h...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:08 PM   #10903
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A6 Almere

Construction on the second "Hollandsebrug" (Holland Bridge) at Almere officially began today. They will construct a second bridge for the widening of A6 through Almere.

The bridge will be completed in late 2015, so construction will last approximately 1.5 years.

The new bridge will feature 10 motorway lanes, 2x4 lanes plus two reversible express lanes (untolled). It will also feature a local road for slow traffic, a two-way busway and it located next to a railway bridge and power lines, so you don't get much more infrastructure than here.

The projected 2030 AADT is 204,000 vehicles per day.

The existing bridge:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM   #10904
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Widening A1/A9 from above:

snowdog, EPA001, Godius liked this post
Des no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 04:11 PM   #10905
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Jutphaas Bridge, Utrecht

The Jutphaas Bridge (Jutphasebrug) is a steel arch bridge across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal at the border of Utrecht and Nieuwegein. It was built in 1936.

It's currently undergoing major renovation. A temporary bridge has been constructed while the old bridge is moved out of traffic and gets renovated. The bridge will be shifted back to its original position in 2015.

It's part of Project KARGO (Kunstwerken Amsterdam-Rijnkanaal Groot Onderhoud), Bridges Amsterdam-Rhine Canal Major Maintenance) which replaces or renovates 8 bridges across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal. It will also improve shipping clearance for another stack of containers.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, Attus liked this post
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #10906
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

I got the train from Amsterdam to Leeuwarden last week and I was surprised to see a 1+1 dual carriageway between Lelystad and Dronten (N307). I guess this is good for safety as you cannot overtake. But I guess it would be frustrating being behind a truck and knowing you can't pass. Are there any other 1+1 dual carriageways in NL?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #10907
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
I got the train from Amsterdam to Leeuwarden last week and I was surprised to see a 1+1 dual carriageway between Lelystad and Dronten (N307). I guess this is good for safety as you cannot overtake. But I guess it would be frustrating being behind a truck and knowing you can't pass.
Near the exit Swifterbant there is an overtaking oppurtunity where the road becomes 2x2 for a bit, as you can see in this video made by Chris(Zwolle)

Quote:
Are there any other 1+1 dual carriageways in NL?
N50 Emmeloord - Ens
There are plans to give the N18 section between Groenlo and Haaksbergen a 'super-two' layout.
And that's all that I know of. Uhh. The N35 tunnel through Nijverdal will have this lay-out, but that's a tunnel and I don't know if that counts
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #10908
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post

N50 Emmeloord - Ens
There are plans to give the N18 section between Groenlo and Haaksbergen a 'super-two' layout.
And that's all that I know of. Uhh. The N35 tunnel through Nijverdal will have this lay-out, but that's a tunnel and I don't know if that counts
There are also parts of N57
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #10909
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There are also parts of N57
Ah yes, of course. I've even made a video of the N57, how did I not remember that
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #10910
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

that stupid design is the worst one I can imagine Is it used in any other country in the world?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #10911
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
that stupid design is the worst one I can imagine Is it used in any other country in the world?
Not by a lot of countries...

In Japan in rural areas as expressways. If traffic volumes on the expressway go up they can quickly expand it to 2x2 lanes
In France in the quieter areas they will sometimes have a 2x2 highway narrow to 1+1 to cross over a road with a viaduct and then after crossing that road the highway will go back to 2x2.
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #10912
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
For anyone that even remotely likes driving, yeah these are a pain, as you're stuck to driving in trains behind the slowest person on the road.

Safety wise, it's undeniable that these are very safe roads, compared to ones where you can overtake.

I'm not a fan, but I don't find it a bad design. I do find it ridiculous, that on most of these roads very little extra work is needed to make a 2+1 design instead ( if any), which is obviously much less of a pain to drive on.

Now on the N57 in Zeeland you're mostly restricted to overtaking on them Turbo Roundabouts, which in all honesty isn't so safe. I had to literally pass them with skidding tyres on the roundabouts to overtake that one annoying ****er going under the speed limit ( but bombing it over the roundabouts).

I think it was Zeeland that wanted to restrict overtaking physically ( eg. by barrier) on all provincial roads ( that don't have 2x2) ?

Last edited by snowdog; June 10th, 2014 at 12:40 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #10913
radamfi

In the case of the N307, did they build such a wide median so that it is easy to upgrade to 2+2 in the future, if traffic predictions warrant it?
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #10914
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, N307 is part of the "N23" project, which is a planned expressway / divided highway from Alkmaar to Zwolle.
Old June 11th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #10915
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
For anyone that even remotely likes driving, yeah these are a pain, as you're stuck to driving in trains behind the slowest person on the road.

Safety wise, it's undeniable that these are very safe roads, compared to ones where you can overtake.

I'm not a fan, but I don't find it a bad design. I do find it ridiculous, that on most of these roads very little extra work is needed to make a 2+1 design instead ( if any), which is obviously much less of a pain to drive on.

Now on the N57 in Zeeland you're mostly restricted to overtaking on them Turbo Roundabouts, which in all honesty isn't so safe. I had to literally pass them with skidding tyres on the roundabouts to overtake that one annoying ****er going under the speed limit ( but bombing it over the roundabouts).

I think it was Zeeland that wanted to restrict overtaking physically ( eg. by barrier) on all provincial roads ( that don't have 2x2) ?
Are you sure it is? I mean you have risk of rear-end collisions, and risk of people just going and passing anyway on the grass or close to the other car...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #10916
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Are you sure it is? I mean you have risk of rear-end collisions,
You have that risk on every road.

Quote:
and risk of people just going and passing anyway on the grass or close to the other car...
You can have that on a 'normal' road as well but then on the other side of the car into oncoming traffic.
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #10917
radamfi

I just realised that the truck speed limit in NL is the same as the car speed limit on regular single carriageways at 80 km/h. So on a single carriageway, you shouldn't need to pass a truck going at the speed limit. That is rather different to the UK where the car speed limit is 60 mph and the truck speed limit is 40 mph on single carriageways, even on a high standard single carriageway that would be classed as an autoweg in NL, like at the beginning of the N307 video.

So even on the N307, cars would still be able to do 80 km/h if stuck behind a truck, so no worse than a single carriageway. I realise the car limit is 100 km/h, but arguably it isn't that much different than a single carriageway as it is only 1 lane for most of the way.
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #10918
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
So even on the N307, cars would still be able to do 80 km/h if stuck behind a truck,
Realistically even 85-90, depending on how high the limiter is set
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #10919
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The real tragedy are not trucks, which try to travel as fast as they can, but those car drivers who can't keep the proper speed for no reason...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #10920
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Realistically even 85-90, depending on how high the limiter is set
Wouldn't limiters normally be set to 90 km/h, as that is the truck speed limit in many European countries?

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands