daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #10921
sotonsi

many set them lower - I believe there was some sort of PR war between big companies whereby setting it slower was seen as a good thing that then amounted to no good publicity and little bad publicity.

Another reason is that a slightly lower speed limiter figure can mean that the truck can just ride on the limiter on 50mph / 80km/h roads (eg UK dual carriageways, NL single carriageways) and be within tolerances and not get done for speeding.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #10922
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
The real tragedy are not trucks, which try to travel as fast as they can, but those car drivers who can't keep the proper speed for no reason...
Aye, these fall in one ( or more) of these groups usually :

- Grey Haired
- Mini MPV or Small Hatchback
- Bicycles on top or behind the cars
- Caravans

I was once stuck on the N57 in the middle of the night, behind some tokkie doing 60 km/h .
Trucks on provincial roads are really no problem most of the time.

Still, I'd like to see 2+1 implemented more though!
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #10923
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

I would not want to cross paths with snowdog on Dutch highways
Old June 12th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #10924
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

so which one are ya, small hatchback or grey hair
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #10925
Suburbanist
on the road

I fit none of these categories, but snowdog is always writing about driving way above speed limit, tailgating etc.
Old June 12th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #10926
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

It's difficult to disagree with him on that, though. People driving below the speed limit in a road where overtaking is not possible yet there's no reason (weather, traffic) to drive slower should just be banned from driving forever. Or put in jail. Or fed to lions.

"Super-two" highways are increasingly common in my country of residence (France) and I don't really see why they shouldn't make them 2+1. Geez, some of them do even have a hard shoulder. It's such a waste of taxpayers' money and time, because it will take forever until they expand the road again.
Old June 13th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #10927
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I fit none of these categories, but snowdog is always writing about driving way above speed limit, tailgating etc.

I have never advocated tailgating...

Speeding is a different matter, I could (again) post statistics from SWOV that show speed is rarely the cause of an accident ( not saying it doesn't affect the result, but it's blatant political correctness to blame everything on speeding, go for the cause of an accident, not a factor of the accident ) but I'm pretty sure you disagree with my opinion anyhow... Speeding is a word that shouldn't even exist on a lot of motorways, the unrestricted parts of the autobahn are a good example.

But people driving under the speed limit, especially on deserted roads where passing is impossible, are nothing more than anti social. The very definition ''lacks consideration for others'' is applicable to such people, they have 0 consideration for other peoples time, money, and driving pleasure.

Fair enough, they might find it ''unpleasurable'' to drive faster ( before anyone calls me a hypocrite), but they do cost other people time and money which is an objective fact...
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #10928
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

Some people are simply not capable of dealing with the amount of (mostly visual) information the brain has to process when going beyond a certain speed. At least that's how they might feel. Lack of driving experience can be a reason or old age or simply a lack of 'talent'. Often these people are also not really aware that they're driving too slow in which case I wouldn't call their behavious anti-social perse for the lack of intent.

It might be an option to use technology to make people aware of their behaviour. Perhaps with dynamic signs along the road that display the speed to the driver. You've probably all seen the variety which displays a sad face or a blinking kp/h-reading of your actual speed when you're speeding? Something similar could be done to alert slow drivers. Even better would be to use a system in the car which is aware of your actual speed and of the local speed limit. I'm pretty sure something like a Tom-tom already has access to the right information to be used in such a fashion.

We have to be careful though. There is also a risk involved with rushing people.
Old June 13th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #10929
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Then my point is: has everyone the right to drive a vehicle, even if they are not capable of dealing with its normal operations?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #10930
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

People are all different. Maybe these are generally very safe drivers so from that perspective they might be considered very capable drivers. Besides: you only need a few slow drivers, to spoil an entire stretch of 1+1 road. The most easy way to deal with them, might be to simply use some technology to remind them of the speed limit.
Old June 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #10931
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Road authority Rijkswaterstaat published the Q1 report of the national roads (which are mostly motorways);

Some key findings;

* traffic increased 0.4% compared to Q1 2013
* traffic congestion decreased 5.9% compared to Q1 2013
* traffic congestion due to road works increased slightly, to 5.1% of all congestion
* 58 people were killed on national roads in 2013. This is a spectacular decline of 36% compared to 2012.
* the 'street lights off at night' approach results in no more incidents than before

Also included is a map of motorway segments with a change in AADT. The strongest traffic growth is on the widened A2 corridor from Amsterdam to Eindhoven, A12 from Gouda to Utrecht and A28 from Utrecht to Amersfoort.
Traffic growth remained around zero on other stretches. No motorway stretches had a significant decline in traffic volumes.

Most congested motorway stretches;
* A20 eastbound at Terbregseplein in Rotterdam. 196,463 kmmin
* A16 northbound at Tergbregseplein in Rotterdam. 140,635 kmmin
* A20 eastbound at Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel. 125.751 kmmin
* A13 southbound at Kleinpolderplein in Rotterdam. 124.276 kmmin
* A1 eastbound at Bunschoten. 115.881 kmmin

It's notable how Rotterdam occupies 4 of the 5 most congested bottlenecks in the Netherlands. Amsterdam had only 1 position in the top 10 (A8 southbound) which will be solved in a few weeks when the old Coen Tunnel reopens to traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #10932
snowdog
Speed freak

Funnily those're my most used motorways. Use the A20 and A16 near Terbregge in both directions daily!

I hope the A13/A16 link fixes the chaos around here. If someone farts on the motorway, the whole area around it (local roadS) is in total chaos too.
Old June 15th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #10933
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5841

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

It's notable how Rotterdam occupies 4 of the 5 most congested bottlenecks in the Netherlands. Amsterdam had only 1 position in the top 10 (A8 southbound) which will be solved in a few weeks when the old Coen Tunnel reopens to traffic.
It is clear that Rotterdam needs an upgrade in Motorway capacity badly. New or widened motorways are being built (A4-MD and A15) but the A13-A16 connection (which is in preparation) is badly needed and long, long, long overdue. Also the A38 to Krimpen a/d IJssel is actually desperately needed as is the third city bridge in Rotterdam to relieve the A16-Van Brienenoordbrug corridor. But that connection is still very far away, if it ever becomes a reality.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #10934
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ring Utrecht

The preferred alternative for the A12/27 upgrade around Utrecht has been published.

The A12 will be widened from 2+3+3+2 lanes to 4x3 lanes. The A27 will be widened from 4+6 lanes to 14 lanes in a 2+2+3+5+2 layout. The A27 section is very difficult due to several pre-existing conditions that cannot be changed, such as the railway viaduct piers and a foil that prevents groundwater from flooding the motorway. They had to work around these fixed objects to make a widening possible.

This is the A27 layout at the railroad viaduct.

The preferred alternative for the Rijnsweerd motorway interchange (A27/28).

The preferred alternative for the Lunetten motorway interchange (A12/27).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old June 16th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #10935
Suburbanist
on the road

Galecopperbrug

A time-lapse video of the placement of new supporting steel beams on Galecopperbrug

Old June 18th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #10936
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Apeldoorn

Minister Schultz of transportation signed the design EIS for the reconstruction of the Beekbergen motorway interchange (A1/50) at Apeldoorn.

There will be auxiliary lanes from the Apeldoorn-Zuid interchange to the Beekbergen motorway interchange, and a new flyover from A1 to A50 south, to accommodate the heavy flow of trucks in this direction.

The d-EIS will be published tomorrow, the last plan from 2010 was this:
[img]http://i26.************/10hncww.jpg[/img]

The project will start in 2016, cost is estimated at € 36 million.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, Wilhem275 liked this post
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #10937
jajaK

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
These are bisarre numbers. 200 000 vehicles/day! How come it's so much traffic? My city of 300 000 inhabitants has 40 000 aadt on 3-4 stretches.
My guess is alot of through-traffic considering the Netherlands positioning in Europe, and a high population density, but what are the other factors?

Even though the snelwegs are busy, it's really a pleasure to drive on Hollands modern highways.
jajaK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #10938
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The figures are traffic jam weight (kilometer-minutes of congestion).

The highest AADT in the Netherlands is 242,000 vehicles per day at A4 in The Hague. The highest AADT in Rotterdam is 235,000 vehicles per day at A16.
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #10939
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajaK View Post
These are bisarre numbers. 200 000 vehicles/day! How come it's so much traffic? My city of 300 000 inhabitants has 40 000 aadt on 3-4 stretches.
My guess is alot of through-traffic considering the Netherlands positioning in Europe, and a high population density, but what are the other factors?

Even though the snelwegs are busy, it's really a pleasure to drive on Hollands modern highways.
Mainly because there is no underlying road network, all the "in between" city driving happens on motorways.
Old June 19th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #10940
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31/N32 Leeuwarden

An aerial photo of the Werpsterhoek Motorway Interchange (N31/32).

da_scotty, Slagathor, EPA001, Attus, SRC_100 and 2 others liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands