daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #11001
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
An interesting turn of events with the completed widening of A2 between 's-Hertogenbosch and Eindhoven.

An EIS was published in 2011 for the widening of A2 from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes between 's-Hertogenbosch and Eindhoven. It was found that the widening could impact a natura 2000 area. They decided to mitigate that by enlarging the habitat.
However, the European Court of Justice said that this measure would not mitigate the loss of habitat sufficiently, making the widening potentially illegal.

But the interesting part is that new calculations and measures show that nitrogen deposits are structurally lower than in 2011, and therefor any mitigation to reduce impact on the natura 2000 area is unnecessary, thereby entirely bypassing the European Court of Justice verdict, making it irrelevant.
This shows that widening the roads (+ less polluting cars) does have a positive impact on the environment compared to roads with lots of traffic jams because they are too small. Perfect to hear this news.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #11002
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

About A1 @Muiderberg: I guess the new rail bridge will be built on one side of the old one.

But it's in the middle of two bends, so they will have to redesign the alignment of a rather long stretch, including nearby bridges.

Doesn't seem likely that they'll just replace it shutting down the line...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #11003
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
About A1 @Muiderberg: I guess the new rail bridge will be built on one side of the old one.
It wouldn't surprise me if they build the arch bridge on a nearby site and then move it into position in a weekend. That way they don't have to realign the railroad.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #11004
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I would think the same, but that trick doesn't seems easy for the old bridge.

Also, that kind of quick "bridge swap" is possible when the foundations are kept in place, but such a wide arch bridge needs a completely different support than the existing beams.
This may actually be solved by the fact that the arches will be larger than the existing platform (which is roughly large as two tracks), so the foundations may be built beside the operative bridge.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #11005
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Leiden - Den Haag

The A4 will be widened to 2x4 lanes between the future Vlietland interchange south of Leiden and the Leidschendam interchange. The forecasted AADT on this stretch is 178,000 vehicles per day.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Batavier, keokiracer, EPA001 liked this post
Old July 11th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #11006
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Will that many people really stop using A44/N44?
Old July 11th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #11007
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

I was wondering, who decides names of interchanges in the Netherlands? Is it Rijkswaterstaat, the province, the municipality or someone else?

The new interchange Vlietland, which is a quite easy name has been mentioned in provincial reports as "knooppunt zelde van passe" named after the windmill nearby and to me sounds quite ridiculous.
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #11008
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Will that many people really stop using A44/N44?
When the Rijnlandroute is finished it is much easier to go from the A44 to the A4, I think that might be the reason for the expected lowering of usage of the A44.

Last edited by Batavier; July 11th, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #11009
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
The A4 will be widened to 2x4 lanes between the future Vlietland interchange south of Leiden and the Leidschendam interchange. The forecasted AADT on this stretch is 178,000 vehicles per day.

How exactly would the Rijnlandroute and a simple widening of one lane extra on the A4 cause a 14% drop of traffic on the N206 from Zoetermeer?

Also noticable that the N206 through Leiden does not see a >10% decrease in traffic. I was expecting that route to get more relief (as in at least 10% decrease) since it's the main route from A44 to A4 and vice versa now.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #11010
Suburbanist
on the road

It would be better to invest on building some tunnels to ultimately extend A44 to the A12 terminus in Den Haag.
Old July 12th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #11011
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5831

Quote:

No concrete plans for the widening of the A4-section between the future Vlietland interchange and Burgerveen? That widening is badly needed as well. The section already mostly feels like a missing link in the A4. Especially since the new section at Leiderdorp and the aquaduct could cope (theoretically) with 2 x 6 lanes. But only 2+1 in either direction will be built in the current planned "final situation"
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #11012
stofzuiger

Likes (Received): 337

Quote:
The new four-lane bridge across the Zuid-Willemsvaart Canal near 's-Hertogenbosch opened to traffic this morning.

This bridge is part of the Zuid-Willemsvaart bypass project, located in between 's-Hertogenbosch and Rosmalen. The project consists of 10 traffic bridges, 1 railroad bridge, 2 sluices, 4 pumping stations and 4 sifons.

Project overview:

"Nijvelaar bridge" (largest bridge of the project) under construction, before and after photo:

Official project photo updates can be found here: www.willemsunie.com

EPA001 liked this post

Last edited by stofzuiger; July 12th, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
stofzuiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #11013
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A10 Coen Tunnel, Amsterdam

The 5-year project to expand the capacity of the Coen Tunnel in Amsterdam will be coming to an end this weekend.

A10 is closed in both directions between Wednesday 9 pm and Monday 5 am. They need a 100+ hour closure to provide the final configuration. The renovated 1966 tunnel and reversible lanes will be connected to the final road layout.

Traffic is detoured via the Zeeburg Tunnel during the closure. They expect significant traffic impact despite the vacation.

Starting Monday 21 July, one of the biggest bottlenecks in the Netherlands will be history.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Billly, EPA001 liked this post
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #11014
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7/N33 Zuidbroek interchange

The new Zuidbroek motorway interchange (A7/N33) in Groningen province. The direct connector serves traffic from south (Veendam) to west (Groningen City).

Old July 14th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #11015
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Muiden Aquaduct

There has been massive pile-driving going on at the new Muiden Aquaduct over the past couple of weeks. 2,410 piles have been driven so far. The new aquaduct will feature 12 lanes.

McBeans, EPA001 liked this post
Old July 15th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #11016
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A16 Van Brienenoord Bridge, Rotterdam

Construction of the second Van Brienenoord Bridge in Rotterdam in 1989.

EPA001, snowdog, da_scotty liked this post
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #11017
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6/A7 Knooppunt Joure

The Council of State dismissed all appeals against the construction of the new interchange today. That means construction can proceed!

Quote:
The Joure motorway interchange (A6/A7) that will be replaced by a direct connector interchange in the next few years. It is the last remaining at-grade motorway-to-motorway interchange (though one could qualify Julianaplein for that as well). The Leenderheide & Hooipolder interchanges are partially at-grade.

Future interchange:

Impressie nieuwe knooppunt by knooppuntjoure, on Flickr

Henk, EPA001, brewerfan386 liked this post
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #11018
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A10, Coen Tunnel, Amsterdam

An English-language video of the new Coen Tunnel layout an possible routes.

Old July 16th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #11019
Suburbanist
on the road

Apparently there will be a "Carmageddon" in Amsterdam this weekend, with 3 major tunnels closed: the Coentunnel and Zeeburgertunnel on A10 and the Piet Heintunnel - a city tunnel that is nonetheless important to traffic.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #11020
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Apparently there will be a "Carmageddon" in Amsterdam this weekend, with 3 major tunnels closed: the Coentunnel and Zeeburgertunnel on A10 and the Piet Heintunnel - a city tunnel that is nonetheless important to traffic.
Zeeburgertunnel isn't going to be closed. Only Piet-Heintunnel and Coentunnel.

There are a load of live streaming traffic cams on which you can watch the roadworks at the Coentunnel:
http://www.vid.nl/Camera/stream/cam_3
http://www.vid.nl/Camera/stream/cam_46
http://www.vid.nl/Camera/stream/cam_41

And on the detour route (through Zeeburgertunnel)
http://www.vid.nl/Camera/stream/cam_5
http://www.vid.nl/Camera/stream/cam_61
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands