daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:16 PM   #11041
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Who usually opposes these bypasses of small towns? As most through-roads are in Netherlands, they are a bad deal for everyone. Vehicles driving through have to deal with low speeds, traffic lights (sometimes) and interference like pedestrians and cyclists crossing the road. Buildings adjacent to the road also suffer with noise, especially from trucks. Moreover, often these through-roads are old streets that cannot accommodate wide segregated bike lanes due to lack of space, so you have tight bike lanes and tight sidewalks as well.

A bypass solve all these problems.

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:33 PM   #11042
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Who usually opposes these bypasses of small towns?
Anti-road rethoric is coming mainly from the GreenLeft party, but the usual anti-road bla bla from environmental groups has diminished a great deal in the past 5 years, except for some high-profile projects (right now A27 at Utrecht is the most prominent one).

Most commonly, residents and businesses lodge an appeal against a road project. Usually because residents think it impacts their property, and businesses because it would reduce access (McDonald's is a prominent example). There are practically no appeals by environmental groups, because they are not impacted directly, so their complaints are futile.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:33 PM   #11043
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Except if you happened to live in the outskirts of town with a free view of the countryside, and because of the bypass you will look up on a sound barrier/wall and you will see the value of your house being dropped because of the vincinity of a major road. Or farmers who will lose land.

Road_UK liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:00 PM   #11044
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Exactly. It's not just anti-road blabla. Often it's pro-road blabla as well. You have to scale these things, rather than being so eccentric about roads all the time...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:12 PM   #11045
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Except if you happened to live in the outskirts of town with a free view of the countryside, and because of the bypass you will look up on a sound barrier/wall and you will see the value of your house being dropped because of the vincinity of a major road. Or farmers who will lose land.
The standard for road projects in Netherlands is already quite high. Sometimes unnecessarily rigorous (like the de-facto requirement all new roads crossing canals near inhabited areas to be fit with an acquaduct).

I also think that many people put unrealistic expectations on "special location" housing they go an arm and a leg to buy, sometimes. An unimpeded view all the way on the horizon is not some sort of entitlement you get when you buy a house in what is, at a time, the outer ring of built-up neighborhoods.

There is a difference between opposing a massive wall that will block sunlight 10m away from your window, and being smug that a new sound wall, to be later concealed within vegetation, located 200m away, now means you cannot ask 30% for the price of your house when selling.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:18 PM   #11046
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6 Almere

The Holland Bridge on the border of Noord-Holland & Flevoland provinces. Work is going on at the foreground to construct a second motorway bridge, to expand capacity to 10 lanes.

Only a few kilometers west of there, another bridge is under construction, the new A9 motorway bridge across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal. In the background is the A1 bridge. In total, 21 lanes of traffic will cross the canal here.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, EPA001, SRC_100 liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:27 PM   #11047
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 102

Last week I made a little roadtrip, here are the pictures

SRC_100, Klausenburg liked this post
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #11048
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N11 Alphen aan den Rijn

A traffic light intersection on N11 at Alphen aan den Rijn was recently replaced by a diamond interchange. The official opening was on 2 July.

Old July 24th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #11049
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A20 Moordrecht

How to replace a motorway bridge in one weekend. They replaced one span of a bridge carrying A20 over a local road near Moordrecht, during a 56 hour closure.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, bogdymol liked this post
Old July 24th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #11050
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

Thanks for posting the photo! The N11 is becoming a proper expressway, if I am correct there are only two interchanges left that are not grade seperated; exit 6 Zoeterwoude and Exit 4 Alphen-West. Do you have any information if those two are going to become grade seperated too anytime soon?
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #11051
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How to replace a motorway bridge in one weekend. They replaced one span of a bridge carrying A20 over a local road near Moordrecht, during a 56 hour closure.
Impressive. The second part of this motorway bridge will probably be done a.s.a.p.? In a few months or so?
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #11052
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I suppose so. The new bridges are wider to support the new merging lanes to and from the moved interchange. I'm not sure if they are wide enough to support 2x3 through lanes, merging lanes and shoulders.

Herinrichting A20 bij Moordrecht by RSK1992, on Flickr
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #11053
Kaaskop
Netherlands

Likes (Received): 68

Today and yesterday the victims' remains of the MH17 crash were transported from Eindhoven Airport to military barracks in Hilversum, where forensic experts will identify the remains. Rijkswaterstaat beforehand warned not to stop on the highway, but many did nevertheless.

[IMG]http://i59.************/2nge7hz.jpg[/IMG]

Godius, Wilhem275, aberdko, Des, EPA001 liked this post

Last edited by Kaaskop; July 25th, 2014 at 02:27 AM.
Kaaskop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #11054
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I'm male, 40 years old. Nothing to do with the Netherlands. Did not know any of the victims. And watching this photo I started to cry here in the office.
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #11055
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6 Holland Bridge

Another aerial photo of the A6 south of Almere.

brewerfan386, snowdog liked this post
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #11056
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Uyllander Bridge

The Uyllander Bridge opened to traffic near Amsterdam. It connects the Amsterdam-IJburg development with A1 near the Diemen motorway interchange.

The bridge was already completed by late 2012, but progress on the adjoining infrastructure was slow. The bridge will improve access to IJburg, which is a new development that was previously poorly accessible from only one direction.

It is a steel arch bridge with a main span of 150 meters. It crosses the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal.

location @ Google Maps

Untitled by Wegenrein, on Flickr

Untitled by Wegenrein, on Flickr

Attus, EPA001 liked this post
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #11057
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N50 Ramspol Bridge

I went up the viewing tower again, to take a photo of the Ramspol Bridge, on the border of Overijssel & Flevoland provinces.

N50 Ramspolbrug panorama-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #11058
GerFok
Gerard F

Likes (Received): 45

Construction of the 'hook' around Leeuwarden is getting in to the final phases. Completion date november 2014

Source: vrijbaan facebook page

Koesj, McBeans, EPA001, snowdog, DarkLoki liked this post
GerFok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #11059
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It would be quite an accomplishment if they manage to open it to traffic in November.
Old July 27th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #11060
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A28/N33 Knooppunt Assen

The new Assen motorway interchange (A28/N33) is fully completed.

EPA001, DarkLoki liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands