daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #11081
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

I'd have to agree with Suburbanist that the "separation" argument is used a lot against motorways in urban areas, while it does not really hold up. If the real issue of Maastricht would be the separation of the city, then the River Maas would be their biggest problem, with only 5 bridges crossing it (of which 2 pedestrian). Yet the river is seen as something that enhances the quality of the city.

This means the issue is not separation itself, but separation by something that is perceived as a negative influence: cars. I think the idea of separation has a lot to do with how bad we think the separating element is. Cars are bad, trains are OK, and water is beautiful. 'Real' separation vs mental/perceived separation.

Slagathor, devo liked this post
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #11082
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
ne)

Speking of noise, the two emit a very different type of noise. Motorways may have overall lower emissions, but the sound is continuous and this makes it much more annoying.
This is subjective, I've been in Warsaw in the very center for weeks every year at least 15 times ( stopped going recently), grandma lived on the ''Marszałkowska'' there, and you get very easily used to traffic.

Constant traffic is no problem at all, somehow even the constant trams didn't annoy me.

At my aunt in Otwock, near the rail. the random trains every so and then were much much worse to live by, especially when in bed.

Constant (structured) sounds are very easily to get used to imho, be that the whoosh of (heavy) traffic, a loud fan, pc sounds ( hdd buzzing and fans spinning), even my neighbors music I can sleep with without being annoyed.

Much more annoying are irregular sounds: Trains, barking dogs, hammering, flies or mosquito's, leaf blowers constantly switching pitch/rpm(ugh), alarms, that one car in a rural area that passes by per hour ( other grandma lived on a farm near Garwolin, spent a lot of time there too, used to annoy myself with the odd random car driving by once per 30 mins or so ), etc...

I guess it's personal, but I'm very easy with constant sound levels ( if they don't vary to much in loudness or pitch), irregular sounds however, I want to punch the sources, hard .

Quote:
I'd have to agree with Suburbanist that the "separation" argument is used a lot against motorways in urban areas, while it does not really hold up.
The worst by far is the A2 Tunnel at Utrecht. ''It causes a split between ''Leidsche Rijn'' and the rest of Utrecht'' they said.
What about the Amsterdam Rhinecanal, only a bit to the east of the bloody A2 ?

They destroyed the A2 at ''red'', because it ''separated'' the city. Instead, they build a tunnel at ''green''.
How the hell is that any better ? What about the Canal ( ''blue'') ?

Last edited by snowdog; August 5th, 2014 at 01:25 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #11083
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I can't understand how motorway is worse than train tracks... at my parents' old house, there was a 10 lane motorway about 500 m north, and a dual train track (not large traffic) about 5 km south. During the day, heard nothing. At night with windows closed, nothing. with windows open, would hear the train noise (just the clack-clack-clack rail noise). Meanwhile only occasionally would hear the motorway, like when someone with a sport bike went by when trying to sleep...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #11084
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

A1 Muiden

Construction of the A1 aquaduct at Muiden, without annotations. This new aquaduct will feature 5+2+5 lanes, with the center 2 lanes being reversible, to allow 7 lanes of traffic in the peak direction.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, Slagathor, Henk, SRC_100 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #11085
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
I guess it's personal, but I'm very easy with constant sound levels ( if they don't vary to much in loudness or pitch), irregular sounds however, I want to punch the sources, hard .
Problem is, road sound is anything but constant...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #11086
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
the clack-clack-clack rail noise
That's one thing we don't have in the Netherlands, the rails are welded together!

Wilhem275, temlin, devo liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #11087
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Delft - Schiedam

A recent photo of A4 between Delft and Schiedam by Michiel:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #11088
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Flexible working does not alleviate traffic jams

Flex work is not bringing congestion reduction

Quote:
Although the number of people choosing flexible working has risen from 27% to 32% over the past five years, the choice of flexi-time is mainly outside of the busy morning and evening rush hours, the research shows.

This is mainly because most flexible working is actually overtime, the KiM says.

Nor is the number of flexi-workers growing as fast as expected. The ministry forecast that by 2010 43% of people would choose flexible working.

The researchers say a change in working culture is needed and this can only be achieved with financial stimuli such as tax breaks.
Source
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #11089
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Car theft falls

Quote:
In total, 5,492 cars were stolen in the Netherlands in the first half of 2014, a drop of 5% on the year earlier period, according to the anti-car crime foundation AVc.

New security measures and more intensive cooperation are having an effect, the AVc says.

'Much quicker reporting of theft internationally, improvements in alarm systems and measures by importers to secure their cars are all contributing to the improving situation,' AVc director Titus Visser told the Telegraaf.

'They provide buyers with tips on prevention and extra security measures,' said Visser.

'They have also initiated the exchange of information between the Dutch police and the manufacturer, whereby a theft is immediately notified to the registration office and Interpol and to the factory.'

Notifying the factory means that if a car is taken to a garage anywhere in the world and attached to a diagnostic machine, a message is sent to Dutch police of its whereabouts.

Ordering spare parts also becomes impossible.
Source
Old August 9th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #11090
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

England to Norway - Netherlands stretch

Posting my report in all appropriate threads. Upon arriving in the Netherlands I stayed the night in Schiedam with family, and subsequently I drove to Sneek to pick my granddad up who accompanied me for the rest of the journey.

Next day in Schiedam, my uncle and aunt waving me goodbye

Entry onto Afsluitdijk. (Enclosure dam)

Autoputevi kao hobi, SRC_100, Luki_SL liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #11091
Road_UK
BANNED

Part two

Afsluitdijk

Aflsluitdijk, open bridge ahead.

My van in a queue in front of open bridge.

Getting off at Bolsward to get my van washed. My granddad likes clean vans.

The kid who washed my van. He did a good job.

Arriving in Sneek, where I will have some lunch and where my granddad is waiting to come with me to Norway

And he is very much looking forward to it

Autoputevi kao hobi, SRC_100 liked this post
Old August 9th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #11092
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Right lane was closed at the Afsluitdijk?
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #11093
Road_UK
BANNED

Yeah it was. They were doing some maintenance works.

keokiracer liked this post
Old August 10th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #11094
ChrisZwolle
Road user

road signage 2014

The first sign was spotted that was designed according to the new 2014 signage guidelines (richtlijn bewegwijzering 2014). It features the Dd font and the old-school arrows.

old sign: redesign font and different arrows;

The old 'redesign' was a major pet peeve of Dutch road scholars. The font had reduced legibility and often featured massive unused blue space due to the reduced spacing.
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #11095
Road_UK
BANNED

I still prefer the old ones. I don't like the arrows, I don't like the font on the new ones.
Old August 10th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #11096
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

I like the new ones . ( unlike most new signage)
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #11097
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

The outlining and the arrows in the new one are better, the spacing in the letters is better in the old ReDesign signs (less spaced out).
Old August 10th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #11098
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A more generous spacing makes signs easier to read, and letters easier to distinguish. Note that signs don't just have to look good on a photo or computer screen, but also at night, during rain and for people with reduced eyesight.

In most countries with developed signage systems, dense spacing is only used in situations where signs can't be wide enough for regular spacing, for example the 'Engschrift' in Germany. Too wide spacing is also not good, that is why Germany has almost no 'Breitschrift' anymore, and now uses 'Mittelschrift' as the standard font.
Old August 10th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #11099
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6076

You can clearly see the difference between the two when it comes to legibility at night when you squinch your eyes and look at the two pictures. And thank god for the arrows. Not only did the other ones look bad but I prefer to have 1 set of arrows on my roads please.
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #11100
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Why the F would they want to change it again? How much money is being pissed away because of this?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands