daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #11101
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

They are the same in my opinion .
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #11102
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

They should have made the font size of the 400m marking a bit larger on the new sign. It looks like the 400m is even more unreadable on the new sign.
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #11103
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Why the F would they want to change it again? How much money is being pissed away because of this?
I don't think they will replace signs at whim, instead, they will replace old signs with new designs when time comes to retrofit it. It is not like a mandatory sign (speed limit) for instance.
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #11104
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Google shows a mysterious road over the sea near the Europoort (Rotterdam). It' impossible to see images of it. Does it really exists or is it a mistake? https://www.google.com/maps/dir/51.9...!1m1!4e1?hl=en
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #11105
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

It exists: http://old.wikimapia.org/#lat=51.949...5&z=13&l=0&m=o.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #11106
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Yes, that is part of 'Maasvlakte 2', an extension of the Maasvlakte port area (literally; Meuse plains). A/N15 runs through 50 kilometers of hard core industrial areas.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #11107
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A friend had to travel there to deliver something, and received instructions NOT to follow the GPS

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Slagathor liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #11108
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 751

I like the beach out there. Not as good as the old one (which had a nice dune area) but still good.
Driving the N15 at the weekend is a very relaxed trip with very light traffic on an excellent road.
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #11109
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Google shows a mysterious road over the sea near the Europoort (Rotterdam). It' impossible to see images of it. Does it really exists or is it a mistake? https://www.google.com/maps/dir/51.9...!1m1!4e1?hl=en
As always with new land freshly claimed from the sea, it takes Google a while to catch up. We're used to it.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #11110
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
A friend had to travel there to deliver something, and received instructions NOT to follow the GPS
The easiest way to find your way in the harbours is to know the harbour number of your adress. These numbers are consequently signed. And indeed: ignore your GPS.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #11111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Amsterdam

Project A9 Gaasperdammerweg Awarded to IXAS Zuid-Oost Consortium, Consisting of Ballast Nedam, Fluor, Heijmans and 3i Infrastructure

The Directorate-General for Public Works and Water Management of the Netherlands Rijkswaterstaat has awarded the A9 Gaasperdammerweg public-private-partnership (PPP) project to IXAS Zuid-Oost, a consortium consisting of Ballast Nedam, Fluor, Heijmans and 3i Infrastructure plc. The project includes the design, build, management, maintenance and financing of the existing and new infrastructure of the A9 motorway between Diemen and Holendrecht in the Netherlands.

The project has a total nominal value of approximately € 700 million, including a 20-year management and maintenance period after the new infrastructure becomes available. (...) The contract with Rijkswaterstaat will be signed in September 2014. The A9 Gaasperdammerweg project is the third section of the Schiphol-Amsterdam-Almere (SAA)road expansion.
Full report: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/proje...053000318.html

This is the most complex sub project of the SAA megaproject. It will feature local lanes, express lanes and reversible lanes, also a land tunnel whose layout is mandated by a railway overpass.
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #11112
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A28 Zwolle - Meppel

Dense traffic, but no congestion anymore on A28 north of Zwolle.

A28 15-08-2014-1 por Chriszwolle, en Flickr

A28 15-08-2014-2 por Chriszwolle, en Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, Attus, Slagathor, Surel, BringMe liked this post
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #11113
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Relaxed driving...
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #11114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A 15 kilometer traffic jam was common before the widening of A28 on Friday afternoons. There is a lot of commuters plus recreational traffic on Friday afternoon, the highest daily traffic volume is around 100,000 on Fridays here. The IJssel River Bridge maxes out at around 140,000 on Fridays.

Slagathor liked this post
Old August 16th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #11115
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Relaxed driving...
More relaxed than a traffic jam yes, but busy traffic personally REALLY annoys me.
Best traffic levels are when traffic is calm or at nighttime ( nearly non existent).

Have the habit of driving much less relaxed in busy traffic, but relax on cruise control in calm traffic .
Don't get me wrong, I can see how driving in a train of cars at a near constant speed can be relaxing for most people, but ideally, there is enough capacity for everyone to drive at the speed they want .

Nice pictures though, show that 2 seconds distance is impossible without congestion in the Netherlands, people simply drive closer distances at busy hours while maintaining a decent speed ( usually 90-100 km/h ish).
Stripes on a motorway are 3 meters, distance between stripes is 9 meters. From the picture you can see some people keep about 30 meters of distance between each other. Assuming 100 km/h, this is just over 1 second distance, not 2 seconds like they ''advise''. If people would keep ''2 seconds'' of distance, no decent speeds would be possible in such traffic.

Last edited by snowdog; August 16th, 2014 at 02:02 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #11116
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I don't think any country drivers respect 2 second distance when the road level of service gets into that "C, D, E" levels like that, 1s or even 0.75s is pretty normal.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #11117
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Dutch tend to drive close to each other, even on roads with a high level of service, and when people are driving the speed limit or more.

I once had an accident in southern France due to not keeping sufficient distance (my fault, had my license for just a few months, inexperienced) and now I keep more distance than most others.

Attus liked this post
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #11118
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15 Europoort

A15 at night:

IMG_35071.jpg por Mark van der Meer, en Flickr

IMG_35272.jpg por Mark van der Meer, en Flickr

Slagathor, SRC_100, Billly, snowdog, BringMe liked this post
Old August 16th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #11119
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Dutch tend to drive close to each other, even on roads with a high level of service, and when people are driving the speed limit or more.

I once had an accident in southern France due to not keeping sufficient distance (my fault, had my license for just a few months, inexperienced) and now I keep more distance than most others.
True. But the traffic in NL is rather coherent and calm and thus predictable. Funny is that when I think about the two second rule and increase the distance, the people behind me have to break as well as there is almost always someone.

In Germany you get generally bigger distances, but on stretches it can get very tight and packed with much less predictability.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #11120
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The only thing that gets to me in the Netherlands is that they constantly change lanes without looking in the mirror.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands