daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #11221
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

EuroRAP

The entire provincial road network in the Netherlands has been surveyed during the EuroRAP assessment. They found out all the reconstruction of the past 15 years (duurzaam veilig / sustainable safety) has led to a low rating of provincial roads.

88% of provincial roads are too narrow despite nearly all of them having been reconstructed in the past 15 years. 80% lack sufficient obstacle clearance (trees and other non-breakaway objects), 79% lack sufficient space between oncoming traffic flows.

Only 6% of the Dutch road network consist of 80 km/h provincial roads, but 30% of all traffic fatalities occur on this network.

The EuroRAP assessment rates roads on a scale of 1 to 5 stars (5 being the safest).

* 1 star: 433 km
* 2 stars: 4188 km
* 3 stars: 2311 km
* 4 stars: 279 km
* 5 stars: 64 km

A 5-star rating for all provincial roads is unrealistic, but they should get at least 3 stars to be considered reasonably safe. Currently 63% of the provincial roads have 1-2 stars.

Critics say the 'sustainable safety' programme was excessively focused on speed, and less on other important factors, such as distance between oncoming traffic, roadside safety and margin of error.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #11222
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

If a project that is called safety makes the roads no safe, then we can say something there went wrong.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #11223
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Could it have something to do with the very strange road markings the Netherlands has been conducting over the years on provincial roads?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #11224
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

https://maps.google.nl/maps?q=spui+2...Rdug2-lQoQJEpA

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

keokiracer, Slagathor liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #11225
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Could it have something to do with the very strange road markings the Netherlands has been conducting over the years on provincial roads?
It makes roads feel really small indeed, you don't want a big truck driving straight at you, especially sinds roads are small from the beginning!
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #11226
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The lanes on 80 km/h provincial roads are often 2.75 m wide.
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #11227
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

But what's wrong with two solid lines, one on each side and stripes in the middle (solid when overtaking is deemed dangerous)? Instead they put Rembrandt drawings on the surface.

Last edited by Road_UK; September 11th, 2014 at 11:25 AM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #11228
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27/A1 Utrecht - Hilversum - Amersfoort

The record of decision was published today for the widening of A1 and A27 between Utrecht, Hilversum and Amersfoort (exit Utrecht-Noord to exit Bunschoten).

A27 will be widened from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes between Utrecht-Noord and the Eemnes motorway interchange. Additionally, a short shoulder lane will be constructed between Utrecht-Noord and Bilthoven to provide additional congestion relief during the evening rush hour (northbound only).

A1 will be widened from 2x2 to 2x4 lanes between the Eemnes motorway interchange and exit Bunschoten near Amersfoort. A further widening to Barneveld is part of the Hoevelaken motorway interchange, which is a separate project.

The forecasted AADT is 140,000 vehicles per day on A27 and 167,000 vehicles per day on A1 in the year 2030. For this reason, A27 will maintain a space reservation for a future fourth lane in each direction.

The widening is just sufficient, in 2030 there will be no spare capacity, with I/C-values between 0.8 - 0.9 (saturated).
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #11229
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The record of decision was published today for the widening of A1 and A27 between Utrecht, Hilversum and Amersfoort (exit Utrecht-Noord to exit Bunschoten).

A27 will be widened from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes between Utrecht-Noord and the Eemnes motorway interchange. Additionally, a short shoulder lane will be constructed between Utrecht-Noord and Bilthoven to provide additional congestion relief during the evening rush hour (northbound only).

A1 will be widened from 2x2 to 2x4 lanes between the Eemnes motorway interchange and exit Bunschoten near Amersfoort. A further widening to Barneveld is part of the Hoevelaken motorway interchange, which is a separate project.

The forecasted AADT is 140,000 vehicles per day on A27 and 167,000 vehicles per day on A1 in the year 2030. For this reason, A27 will maintain a space reservation for a future fourth lane in each direction.

The widening is just sufficient, in 2030 there will be no spare capacity, with I/C-values between 0.8 - 0.9 (saturated).
This one is long overdue! Lets hope they finish it quickly.
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #11230
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Some pics I took a few days ago around the Neherkade project in Den Haag. Locals report nearby roads will be restored by October, I seriously doubt that...

Trams are running on an already completed foundation:

The spaces here are very cramped. The tram/bike/pedestrian crossing is regulated by a traffic light which allows to go only for the briefest possible time:

And there are these old buildings, to narrow the space...

In the end, what I don't get about this project is why building an underpass for the relatively moderate traffic of Leeghwaterplein, while the nearby Rijswijskeweg looks much more important?

Different topic.
Wandering around the Hogeschool building, I found an old map dated June 1995, with some interesting differences from today.

Well, Knooppunt Prins Clausplein is pretty much the same, but the area beside it changed A LOT...

A4 ended at Prinses Beatrixlaan, with a bit different ramp design:

And the city ring was still to be completed:

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Slagathor, EPA001 liked this post

Last edited by Wilhem275; September 12th, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #11231
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Thanks for the photo's!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
In the end, what I don't get about this project is why building an underpass for the relatively moderate traffic of Leeghwaterplein, while the nearby Rijswijskeweg looks much more important?
The traffic is moderate there right now, but it wasn't before and it won't be by the time that construction project is finished.

The reason behind it is twofold;
1) upgrade the centrumring, and
2) upgrade the public transport link.

It's a bottleneck where the centrumring and 3 tramlines collide which, during rush hour, was absolute madness. Air quality in the direct surroundings was dismal; a direct result of jams caused by very frequent red lights on account of passing trams.

There was no other way of upgrading both the car traffic and the public transport link, because an improvement for either would mean a setback for the other.

As the city is looking to further improve the centrumring and to upgrade line 1 with new Avenio trams which, in the future, might likely run all the way to Rotterdam Airport; this was one bottleneck that needed a drastic change.

The Rijswijkseweg is about to get a bigger cousin on the Binckhorst industrial estate (project Rotterdamsebaan) and it will face a transformation of its own in further down the line. When the Rotterdamsebaan is finished, car traffic on the Rijswijkseweg should drastically decrease.
Slagathor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #11232
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
The Rijswijkseweg is about to get a bigger cousin on the Binckhorst industrial estate (project Rotterdamsebaan) and it will face a transformation of its own in further down the line. When the Rotterdamsebaan is finished, car traffic on the Rijswijkseweg should drastically decrease.
I knew 95% of the story, but that's the bit I was missing: the main route to enter the city will cross the railway at the Lekstraat (pointing straight to the Koningstunnel), and no more at Rijswijkseweg.

Now it all makes sense.

Slagathor liked this post

Last edited by Wilhem275; September 12th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #11233
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The lanes on 80 km/h provincial roads are often 2.75 m wide.
Which I think is very narrow. Normal trucks are up to 2,55m wide. Thus you have only 20cm margin to keep between the lines, even under adverse weather. It also causes that it's pretty much impossible to look past large vehicles, without crossing the center line. That causes badly timed overtaking manoeuvres.

A while ago there was a study on this, which basically concluded that road safety could be improved by widening the roads. The downside of widening is that it reduces the risk perception of the motorists, making them more likely to speeding.
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #11234
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I knew 95% of the story, but that's the bit I was missing: the main route to enter the city will cross the railway at the Lekstraat (pointing straight to the Koningstunnel), and no more at Rijkwijkseweg.

Now it all makes sense.
There's one small open question left: the crossing Rijswijkseweg-Centrumring that will come into being when the Rotterdamsebaan opens. Essentially, there's a risk the Leeghwaterplein situation would be duplicated at the Goudriaankade bridge.

I think the idea is to mitigate the situation relatively simply: by free right turns and merging lanes on the Neherkade. Traffic lights for through traffic on the Rijswijkseweg would then favor the traffic on the Centrumring (Neherkade), which would be doable because the Rijswijkseweg only has one tram line (the 15) and it might even be downgraded to become a road with only 1 lane in each direction.

For cyclists, there will be an upgrade of the bicycle infrastructure on the Laakkade (between Rijswijkseweg and Slachthuisstraat) so it'll be more tempting for them to reach HS (and by extension downtown) via Leeghwaterplein, as opposed to the Goudriaankade.

Wilhem275 liked this post

Last edited by Slagathor; September 12th, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Slagathor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #11235
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N61 Hoek - Schoondijke

Progress on the N61 upgrade in Zeeland. Although it will not be a classic 2x2 or 2+1 road, it does feature some passing lanes. The intersections are chiefly turbo roundabouts.

Old September 12th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #11236
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15, Botlek Bridge, Rotterdam

The first deck of the new Botlek Bridge has been shipped towards the bridge today. It will be lifted into position tonight.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, keokiracer, EPA001 liked this post
Old September 13th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #11237
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Which I think is very narrow. Normal trucks are up to 2,55m wide. Thus you have only 20cm margin to keep between the lines, even under adverse weather. It also causes that it's pretty much impossible to look past large vehicles, without crossing the center line. That causes badly timed overtaking manoeuvres.

A while ago there was a study on this, which basically concluded that road safety could be improved by widening the roads. The downside of widening is that it reduces the risk perception of the motorists, making them more likely to speeding.
It is such stupid argument though. By widening the road, you reduce the risk, so motorists reduce their risk perception, which... is exactly correct
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #11238
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15, Botlek Bridge, Rotterdam

The first deck of the Botlek Bridge was installed today. There was a half-day delay, because a cable snapped at first attempt. This would normally not be a major issue, but it was delayed by half a day because the procedure is dependent on the tides. The bridge was installed at high tide, and the pontoon is removed at low tide. The bridge deck placement attracted a healthy crowd.

IMG_36121-bewerkt.jpg by Mark van der Meer, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #11239
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Ede - Arnhem

The contracts for the widening of A12 between Ede and the Grijsoord motorway interchange (A50) have been signed on 29 August. It is a DBFM contract (PPP) which runs through 2032. 18 kilometers of A12 will be widened to six lanes. The project cost is € 80 million.

Construction will start in early 2015 and is complete by late 2016, so construction takes about 1.5 years. The project starts at the Grijsoord motorway interchange with A50, and then work their way west.

This stretch of A12 opened to traffic in 1956, and pre-dates modern design standards. Although it is not specifically substandard, the alignment is narrower than most motorways built since the late 1960s. There is no specific space reservation for more lanes, and some bridges lack shoulders. The daily traffic is approximately 85,000 vehicles per day. This is the last segment of A12 between The Hague and Arnhem to be widened to six lanes.

Photo: Oosterbeek interchange.

snowdog, Slagathor, gogo3o, EPA001 liked this post
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #11240
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Amsterdam

The contracts have been signed to expand the A9 'Gaasperdammerweg' in Amsterdam. It is a DBFM contract (PPP). The project will be constructed by IXAS Zuid-Oost, a consortium of Ballast Nedam, Fluor, Heijmans and 3i Infrastructure.

The project includes the longest land tunnel in the Netherlands (3 kilometers) and widening of A9 to 11 lanes, including a local-express configuration and a reversible lane. The exact configuration is chiefly mandated by an important railway underpass (the Amsterdam - Utrecht 10 track railroad).

The contract value is € 700 million. It includes a 20-year maintenance period after completion. The construction takes 5 years between 2015 and 2020. The project length is 6 kilometers. It is one of the most expensive projects in the Netherlands (based on cost per kilometer).

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands