daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #11301
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It is indeed...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #11302
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

That's a very basic traffic counter. It can only count the number of axles.

I installed double-tube traffic counters. These can also classify vehicles by type and by speed. Their data is very reliable as long as they are not vandalized. Light pole mounted radar counters are less prone to vandalization, but in my experience it is difficult to get reliable readings, especially if there are also cyclists on the road.

Typical traffic counters with rubber tubes don't register cyclists or children jumping on it, they don't displace enough air to be registered.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #11303
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

I've seen them in The Hague where they had stickers on them saying "Please don't vandalize this machine; it only counts the traffic, it doesn't fine anyone."

Wilhem275, devo, tortuent liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #11304
ChrisZwolle
Road user

For some people that is an incentive to vandalize it.

I've had dozens of traffic counters vandalized. Because it keeps on recording, you can see when they were vandalized (often the tubes are cut with a knife or pair of scissors). Nearly all counters were vandalized on Saturday or Sunday morning between 0100 and 0500 hrs.
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #11305
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I stopped asking myself what goes through these people's minds...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #11306
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I stopped asking myself what goes through these people's minds...
Probably more alcohol then blood looking at the timespan Chris gave...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #11307
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

New billboards near A28 to be turned down on Sundays to appease ultra-religious community

Quote:
Two highway advertising hoardings close to the Bible Belt village of Staphorst will be switched off on Sundays, local companies have decided.

The screens will be attached to a 40-metre high telecoms mast next to the A28 and 30 local firms have set up a foundation to manage the advertising.

However, they have now decided not to use the screens on Sundays, out of respect to the staunchly Protestant local population, local broadcaster RTV Oost said.
Source
Old September 25th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #11308
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are stories that back in the 1960s, when A28 was just completed through Staphorst, people would throw bricks to passing cars on Sundays.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo, tortuent liked this post
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #11309
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

Chris, do you work for a Department of Transport in the Netherlands or something?
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #11310
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

There will be 14 types of new traffic signs this year including for example:
*special signs to mark bus/tram lanes
*signs to mark trucklanes
*passing place signs

This is to make sure that there is one standard instead of every municipality making there own designs (or mix-match of current signs).

Last edited by da_scotty; September 26th, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
da_scotty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #11311
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Chris, do you work for a Department of Transport in the Netherlands or something?
No, much highway engineering and consultancy in the Netherlands is done via private consultancies. We cater mostly to municipal governments. I worked mainly with traffic counting, highway design (AutoCAD) and air quality & highway / railway noise modeling.
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #11312
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N305 Almere - Dronten

Flevoland province for the first time uses styrofoam embankments at the N305 twinning project. It saves about three months in settling time. Not everybody is convinced this is a durable solution though. It isn't applied regularly in the Netherlands.

Old September 26th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #11313
Suburbanist
on the road

Is it a experimental project?

I've seen it used in some road projects in Italy, as a lightweight replacement for clay boggy soil. It is paramount that whatever is beneath the replaced mass is stable within the tension limits of the replaced material.
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #11314
Suburbanist
on the road

I've seen it used in some road projects in Italy, as a lightweight replacement for clay boggy soil. It is paramount that whatever is beneath the replaced mass is stable within the tension limits of the replaced material. It is particularly useful for things like ramps near viaducts. I don't know how to explain exactly the interaction of the force vector of passing traffic and the physical properties of the material, just that is is less prone to subsidence and lateral motion.
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #11315
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15, Botlek Bridge, Rotterdam

The second lift deck of the new Botlek Bridge was transported to the site today.

Botlekbrug (20) by Mark van der Meer, on Flickr

Botlekbrug (21) Panorama by Mark van der Meer, on Flickr

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; September 26th, 2014 at 10:04 PM. Reason: pano added
Old September 26th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #11316
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Ede - Arnhem

Financial close DBFM contract A12 Veenendaal - Ede - Grijsoord

Heijmans and the Directorate-General for Public Works and Water Management reached financial close for the widening and maintenance of the A12 Veenendaal – Ede – Grijsoord on 25 September. The DBFM (Design Build Finance Maintain) contract comprises the widening of the A12 between Ede and Grijsoord from 2 x 2 to 2 x 3 lanes and the maintenance of the stretch Veenendaal – Ede – Grijsoord for a period of 16 years after making available.

(...)

The work will commence at the start of 2015 and the widening of the road will be completed by the end of 2016. The maintenance contract will run until the end of the summer of 2032.
Full press release: http://www.heijmans.nl/en/news/finan...ede-grijsoord/
Old September 26th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #11317
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N7, Groningen

The final environmental impact statement (F-EIS) or 'tracébesluit' of the N7 Groningen expansion project will be signed by minister Schultz on Monday 29 September. This completes the plan approval prodecure.

The N7 project is the most anticipated road expansion project in northern Netherlands in decades. Earlier plans called for a new A7 alignment south of Groningen, but traffic studies found out the far majority of traffic on N7 has a destination or origin in the city of Groningen, and is not through traffic. Therefor, a new bypass would do little to relieve congestion in Groningen, but would have a very high cost.

The current plan will expand N7 in Groningen to eight lanes and become completely controlled-access. The Julianaplein traffic lights is the busiest traffic light in the Netherlands, processing over 130,000 vehicles per day. Because of urban constraints, it will be an 80 km/h 'autoweg' (expressway).
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:38 AM   #11318
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

I've seen it used in some road projects in Italy, as a lightweight replacement for clay boggy soil. It is paramount that whatever is beneath the replaced mass is stable within the tension limits of the replaced material. It is particularly useful for things like ramps near viaducts. I don't know how to explain exactly the interaction of the force vector of passing traffic and the physical properties of the material, just that is is less prone to subsidence and lateral motion.
It's used frequently here in Canada. But it is interesting for NL... one would think light weight to be most important, to stop the country from sinking
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #11319
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N61 Hoek - Schoondijke

A new short four-lane segment of N61. It's a pity that they didn't twin the entire route to four lanes.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, AlanHaydar, SRC_100 liked this post
Old September 27th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #11320
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
This is to make sure that there is one standard instead of every municipality making there own designs (or mix-match of current signs).
I don't get why we don't have a EU standard for those signs...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands