daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:57 PM   #11361
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6076

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The 8-tube Schiphol Tunnel.
Eventhough officially the tunnel with the bike path and bus lanes is called Buitenveldertunnel. At least that's what it says on the signs in the tunnel itself.
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:19 PM   #11362
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I went to Rotterdam last Sunday to pay a visit to the construction site of A15.

The A15 is currently a 2x3 motorway. It will be widened to 10 lanes, with 12 - 14 lanes near major interchanges. A much-needed makeover of this important transportation corridor.

1. Interchange Vaanplein. This may be the third most impressive interchange of the Netherlands. The major downside is that it lacks the symmetry of the Ridderkerk and Prins Clausplein Interchanges.
image hosted on flickr

r
This post dates back from 2012. What is the situation there now? Is it operational?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:26 PM   #11363
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 751

The parallel carriageways are 90% finnished from Vaanplein to Benelux, but there is still allot to be done from Benelux to the Caland Tunnel.

Road_UK liked this post
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:42 PM   #11364
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
This post dates back from 2012. What is the situation there now? Is it operational?
Yes. There's even some up-to-date Streetview available
https://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.864912...,280.85,,1,3.1
https://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.864753...121.52,,0,3.86

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
Caland Tunnel.
Thomassentunnel you mean

(or is it unofficially called Callandtunnel?)
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:53 PM   #11365
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

It was originally named the Caland Tunnel, it's next to the Caland Bridge and crosses the Caland Canal. It was later renamed the Thomassen Tunnel, after the former Rotterdam mayor Wim Thomassen.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #11366
ChrisZwolle
Road user

praatpaal

The network of SOS telephones, known in Dutch as a 'praatpaal' (talk pole) will be shut down in 2017. They are installed only along motorways and a few N-roads under national authority (rijkswegen).

Currently approximately 97.5% of the calls to roadside assistance ANWB are made through a (mobile) phone. The remaining 2.5% is made through the SOS telephones which are installed at every 1 km in both directions.
Old October 5th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #11367
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

I only used them once in my life, they were a bit cumbersome. You had to keep a heavy button pressed in as you talked and the noise cancelling design didn't really work. It was hard to understand the replies in the buzz of the motorway.

They're iconic though, like our version of Britain's red phone booths.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #11368
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A67 Someren

The Someren interchange of A67 (Eindhoven - Venlo) is notorious for its short ramp and merging lane towards Venlo, combined with the heavy truck traffic on that corridor. The merging lane is very short because of a bridge across the canal and no shoulders on it. As a solution they are constructing a new span for the onramp.

by de bermtoerist (photo may be slow to load)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100 liked this post
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #11369
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A few days ago we took a bus trip from Den Haag to Gouda, and in such a compact travel I was able to see a good number of projects that Chris and others reported here in recent years.

In particular, I was a bit disappointed (as every user, I guess...) by the third lane of A12 not being available at all time. What weird rule is behind that?

On our way back, we were caught in a nasty queue when entering A12 at Gouda, because traffic from the city towards Den Haag had to cross the two lanes towards A20 and Rotterdam, and given the Friday evening traffic the two fluxes just blocked each other.
Since the median there is very wide, I wonder if they are planning to create a separate lane to merge on the "A12 side" without crossing the "A20 lanes".

Something like this:

(crappy substandard design, with a lane merging from the left side, but just to give an idea)
The best would be to separate A12 and A20 before that point, but I don't know if the central span of the viaduct is wide enough to accomodate 3+1 lanes.

PS: this merging at Prins Clausplein was scary. Two cars almost crashed in front of us... the guy in the middle just saw his lane disappear with no free space on his sides.
This design is good when splitting, not merging...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; October 6th, 2014 at 01:04 AM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #11370
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Perhaps a bit harsh but:
Quote:
On our way back, we were caught in a nasty queue when entering A12 at Gouda, because traffic from the city towards Den Haag had to cross the two lanes towards A20 and Rotterdam, and given the Friday evening traffic the two fluxes just blocked each other.
This is drivers error, people who have trouble weaving in traffic shouldn't be driving at all imho. It's honestly not that hard, though I can usually take advantage of those sheep who have to merge at the first possible moment and brake to nearly crawling speeds rather than making speed first and weave later on by staying in the lane ''I don't have to be'' longer and simply making speed, looking up gaps further ahead, etc...
Quote:
Two cars almost crashed in front of us... the guy in the middle just saw his lane disappear with no free space on his sides.
Again drivers error, a sheep not looking further ahead than the car in front, way to much of these drivers on the road these days. A normal driver would have seen the situation much earlier and as soon as the other joining road was visible, deciding to go either left or right depending on the traffic and speed on either side, and acting on it ( by either pressing the throttle deep, or releasing it).

If it was up to me, these types of drivers would have their license shredded right away, the ones who don't anticipate ahead and don't notice their lane ''disappears''. Look ahead more than just the car in front ffs .

The first situation I quoted, that happens daily at Terbregge where the 2x2 lanes from the A20 and the 5th lane from exit Terbregge join. I always come from the A20 from east on the most left lane, and when the other A20 direction ( from west) joins on the right side, often in the morning rush hour the right lane ( of the 2 lanes coming from A20 east) is clogged by idiots who need to go on the collector lanes of the A16 ( so move a couple of lanes to the right). There is 1.4 km to merge/weave. But everybody has go in the first 200 meters . I happily overtake all those stupid idiots and move 3 lanes over to the collector lanes in the last 500 meter. It is a daily mini traffic jam in the morning ''rush hour'' because people don't look ahead far enough and see they have a whole 1400 meters to continue at normal speed and look for a gap, instead than moving to their needed lane the moment they can, and slow down to a 30 km/h crawl. It's 2+2+1 lane merging into 5 and splitting back into 3+2, there is no bottleneck, only stupid driver behaviour that causes congestion there . If everyone would just stay relaxed, see the ocean of space they have ahead of them, and don't use the ****ing brakes unnecessarily, there'd be no problem there.

As for the third lane on the A12, I agree, but what do you want, political correctness for not making it a normal 3rd lane...

Last edited by snowdog; October 6th, 2014 at 01:30 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #11371
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

On the first point, although I may agree about the general incompetence of drivers, we must still consider that above a certain flow of mixing fluxes capacity will drop no matter what, even with the best possible users. All those vehicles simply can't fit into the given space, without a serious reduction of speed.
I don't know if at Gouda this happens regularly, I had the impression that most of the merging traffic was heading to Den Haag. Interesting to note, in the opposite direction heavy traffic was flowing steadily at speed.

About Prins Clausplein, I can't agree. That lane vanishes in just 100 m, 300 m after the only sign that would give an idea of what's going to happen, and before that point the road looks like any other full grown motorway to be used at constant speed.
Such short merge is substandard for an on-ramp, where in the worst case scenario one can abort the operation, stop and rethink.
Here stopping is not an option at all, you are in the middle of a motorway.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in Europe.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #11372
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

That Prins Clausplein situation looks very dangerous indeed. Maybe someone should complain to RWS about the issue so they can fix it. Sometimes that is all that it takes to get these things fixed.
Old October 6th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #11373
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

Prins Clausplein is absurdly dangerous, I agree. It must be an old design or something, perhaps Chris knows more about it.

As for drivers and their general competencies: if we're going to maintain a system where driving is open to basically everyone over the age of 18 so long as they pass a single test, then obviously we need to design infrastructure according to a relatively low denominator. People are dense, that's just the way it is.

Frankly, if you look at really busy shopping streets and how often people get in each other's way then, it's nothing short of a miracle accidents on the road don't happen more often.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #11374
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
That Prins Clausplein situation looks very dangerous indeed. Maybe someone should complain to RWS about the issue so they can fix it. Sometimes that is all that it takes to get these things fixed.
They could rather use the shoulder as the right lane and end the lane after some time.

I saw this kind of design several times in NL.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #11375
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

In Denmark, you don't even have a choise, most incoming lanes end immediatly ( http://goo.gl/maps/Iyt1i ). Also in Germany there are examples without a right lane:

At the Prins Clausplein you can choose the right lane, so you don't need to use it. If you are looking ahead you can see the signs more than 500 meters in advance, so you have over 18 seconds to react. That must be more than enough to check for space on your left, or to decide that you don't want to merge there and go to the right.
I agree a better solution is possible , simply because more lanes is always better, but given the local circumstances (the bridge ahead has only room for 3 lanes), I think it is the best compromise between safety and trafic flow.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #11376
KIWIKAAS

The merge from the A4 onto the A20 (direction Gouda) at Benelux is the same kind of merge as at Prins Clausplein, but since the reconstruction works the left lane merge seems to have been extended a bit.
I think the merge at Prins Clausplein could be lengthened without much effort, and even beter, get rid of the merge and let both lanes run onto the A12 with the right lane merging after 4 or 500m (as was already suggested here).
Old October 6th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #11377
KIWIKAAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by verfmeer View Post
In Denmark, you don't even have a choise, most incoming lanes end immediatly ( http://goo.gl/maps/Iyt1i ). Also in Germany there are examples without a right lane:

There are ineed some real shockers in Germany.

From my experience the merges in Denmark are long and gradual, even if there is no parallel merging lane.

For short merges, there are allot of examples of very sort merges in California and Florida. Belgium also has some very short and sometimes very skinny merging lanes.
Old October 6th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #11378
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Italy has the shortest in the world.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #11379
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Prins Clausplein merger is called a 'taper'. There are numerous tapers in the Netherlands, both merging and diverging. This particular one seems a bit short, though I usually don't drive there, so I can't judge it entirely.

Tapers need to be applied at locations where there are at least 2 through lanes left of the taper. That is the case at Prins Clausplein. Also, they need to be reasonably wide for some distance to allow traffic to find a gap in traffic to merge.

It's possible the traffic volumes are just too high for this location. You have traffic coming from both directions of A4 merging onto A12 east, and those are pretty heavy traffic flows (A4 south of the Prins Clausplein interchange has the highest traffic volume in the Netherlands).

Slagathor liked this post
Old October 6th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #11380
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Welcome to the Netherlands! Exit Belgium!

Surel, SRC_100, riiga, definitivo, devo and 6 others liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands