daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #11401
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4192

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
It IS the highway, it's the parallel lanes which are part of the A12-highway.
But it's not the main highway, you know what I mean. And btw, I'm not saying this as an excuse. It's a scandal. I've read the official explanation in the paper today: this part was scheduled to be renovated this year, but due to budget issues it's postponed to next year...
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #11402
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Wait a little longer and it'll be less renovating and more reconstructing. You might even find some archaeological treasures.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #11403
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Actually, it's not the highway but a small road next to the highway (partially leading to an abandoned customs office).
Does it matter which part of the highway, any part of the highway looking like that is a disgrace.
Quote:

The highway itself looks like this: https://www.google.be/maps/@51.37613...RtouTNso7w!2e0

The streetview pictures are dated, but even at that time the dutch section looks better, and on the first picture of the border the dutch section is already repaved.

The difference in maintainance (look at the overgrown median) at A67 is big as well, if you go back 100m in to the Netherlands there is even a sign that says watch out "slippery road".
Old October 7th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #11404
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Maybe the Belgos could just pave it with cobblestones. They don't wear out as quickly and since they're absolutely ruinous on caravans, all the Dutchies would go to Germany in the summer instead. Win-win.

Wilhem275, da_scotty liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #11405
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Well, then you could still use the shoulder, and merge the leftmost lane. Or is there such big difference in the traffic flows on those carriageways? I just think that the shoulder space could be utilized to improve the situation even if the taper was to stay.
Even using it, you'll get just about 80-90 m more, not a big difference. And at the price of having no margin at all, which would be an even less safe situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I'll supply the shovel.
It's always nice to see some enthusiasm so, there you go.

Here I made the rightmost lane merge, but if they want to keep their damn taper they can. At least it will be a 450 m taper instead of 100...

Tell RWS I'll send them the bill.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Slagathor, Surel, Billly liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #11406
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Maybe the Belgos could just pave it with cobblestones. They don't wear out as quickly and since they're absolutely ruinous on caravans, all the Dutchies would go to Germany in the summer instead. Win-win.
Also opens a world of potential cycle race-classics!

Slagathor liked this post
da_scotty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #11407
andy5

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Welcome to the Netherlands! Exit Belgium!

Sorry to go off-topic, but it isn't long since they cleaned up all this from the other side of Belgium, between Lille and Tournai

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.604...12,246.06,,0,0

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.603...p=12,72.2,,0,0

The quality of the road surface was rather worse than the pictures show.
andy5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #11408
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
It isn't dangerous at all. Not having a taper would have meant that the incoming traffic would be narrowed to only one lane before entering the A12. That would mean a lot of congestion on the Prins Clausplein ramps, because one lane isn't providing enough capacity. And that would mean a high risk of accidents on the elevated ramps of the interchange. Incoming tapers are quite normal in NL. Other countries often have similar things, but they don't provide any guidance at all to the incoming traffic. E.g. here: https://www.google.nl/maps?ll=48.716...4,,0,7.54&z=19 Just seek your own way from 2 lanes into merging. Look left of you - and right, because you never know what anyone will do. The taper-solution in NL is way much clearer to a road user, and is being signed in a way anyone driving towards the taper can anticipate. Sign: https://www.google.nl/maps?ll=52.056...126.4,,0,10.12
The taper is fine, but this one looks extremely short, it must be possible to make it slightly longer no?
Old October 8th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #11409
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 753

Actually, probably the shortest taper in NL is probably on the A13 at Delft-Noord in the direction of The Hague. It's even shorter than the one onto the A12 at Prins Clausplein.

Wilhem275 liked this post
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #11410
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5 View Post
Sorry to go off-topic, but it isn't long since they cleaned up all this from the other side of Belgium, between Lille and Tournai

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.604...12,246.06,,0,0

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.603...p=12,72.2,,0,0

The quality of the road surface was rather worse than the pictures show.
They are busy removing the border station now, and the traffic is being diverted around through a temoraray road. But you very much notice the difference when entering Belgium from France. It wasn't that bad let's say 6 years ago.

Edit - actuially it's the border station on the E17 that is being removed, but the E42 is still very bad...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #11411
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
Actually, probably the shortest taper in NL is probably on the A13 at Delft-Noord in the direction of The Hague. It's even shorter than the one onto the A12 at Prins Clausplein.
I vote for the N7 at Groningen

It's a bit cheating though, since either the left merge lane is closed or the right lane of the N7 is closed. So traffic does not come into conflict, which is most certainly a good thing
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #11412
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

There is still no way that you can merge using the second lane without either straddling the first lane or crossing the solid markers...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #11413
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The "controlled taper" used in Groningen is a nice solution. A bit less flexible, but still you don't have a permanent loss of capacity.
To be perfect it would need variable road painting

About Delft Noord: does that on-ramp really need two full lanes all the way in? All other junctions on A13 seem to be designed (or modified) with 2>1 reduction before the merge.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #11414
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

There's a taper at the Neerbosch motorway interchange near Nijmegen (where A73 makes a TOTSO) where the tapering lane is always crossed out by the matrix signs when I drive there.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #11415
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
The taper is fine, but this one looks extremely short, it must be possible to make it slightly longer no?
It's about 100 meters long, and thats not "extremely short". A lot of tapers that are safe and are functioning well have about the same lenght.
Two examples:
https://www.google.nl/maps?ll=52.424...04128&t=h&z=19
https://www.google.nl/maps?ll=52.437...04128&t=h&z=19

Although tapers of 200 meters are better, that's evident.

An example of a really extremely short merging taper (ca. 50 m):
https://www.google.nl/maps?ll=52.029...04128&t=h&z=19
This one is really too short for being permanently openend from both directions.

This one is also only 50-60 meters:
https://www.google.nl/maps?ll=52.354...02064&t=h&z=20
But in this case the taper is never used from both merging lanes at the same time. By default the tapering lane from the A1 is closed - and when it is opened to relieve congestion on the A1, the right lane on the A10 is closed.

Suburbanist liked this post
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #11416
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

I wonder how many roads as dangerous as N65 are left... with crossings like this one or that one (imagery is old)
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #11417
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A1 Amersfoort

The final EIS has been published for the widening of A1 between Bunschoten and the Hoevelaken motorway interchange. It is basically the northern ring road of Amersfoort. They will widen the eastbound carriageway to three lanes. A bridge across the Zwolle - Amersfoort railway will be replaced, with sufficient space for a future expansion to 4 eastbound lanes.

It is a temporary fix to prevent a bottleneck once the A1 is widened from the Eemnes motorway interchange (A27) to Bunschoten. Without the temporary widening, the amount of lanes would drop from 4 to 2 at the Bunschoten exit.

There will be A LOT of construction going on in the Amersfoort area, starting in 2015. It will basically be one big construction zone from 2015 to 2022. There are three separate projects;

* 2014-2015: widening of eastbound A1 Bunschoten - Hoevelaken to 3 lanes
* 2015-2019: widening of A1 Eemnes - Bunschoten to 2x4 lanes
* 2019-2022: reconstruction of Hoevelaken interchange
* 2019-2022: widening of A1 Bunschoten - Barneveld to 2x4 lanes
* 2019-2022: widening of A28 Amersfoort-Zuid - Nijkerk to 2x4 lanes

The A1/A28 eight-laning projects are part of the Hoevelaken motorway interchange reconstruction project. It is the final project to widen all motorways around Amersfoort.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #11418
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Do you have any designs of the new Hoevelaken interchange?
Old October 10th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #11419
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Do you have any designs of the new Hoevelaken interchange?
The design reference for the whole project can be found here (large PDF), nothing final yet but I can't imagine they'll stray too far from what they've already got on paper.

This is the interchange itself:

(click for very large)
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #11420
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I wonder how many roads as dangerous as N65 are left... with crossings like this one or that one (imagery is old)
Does this really count as dangerous design? It's clearly far safer than a single-carriageway 1x2 road for example, you have the space to wait between carriageways, etc. It is only dangerous if the traffic volumes are very high in the main axis or high in the cross axis...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands