daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #11421
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
It is only dangerous if the traffic volumes are very high in the main axis or high in the cross axis...
N65 carries between 35k and 50k vehicles per day. That qualifies as pretty busy
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #11422
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Does this really count as dangerous design? It's clearly far safer than a single-carriageway 1x2 road for example, you have the space to wait between carriageways, etc. It is only dangerous if the traffic volumes are very high in the main axis or high in the cross axis...
N65 has very high traffic by all accounts. You don't ever get a long empty road to cross, it is always sketchy if you want to accelerate and cross. Also, the central reservation space is narrow, it barely fits a sedan at 90-degree and it is kinda scary with trucks coming onto the lane you want to join.
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #11423
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

N65 should've been a motorway. It is a major link between two large (100.000+) cities. However, there are currently no plans whatsoever to improve N65 outside Vught. It isn't on any priority list.

This type of road (four-lane divided, at-grade, non-urban) is pretty rare in the Netherlands. Nearby N261 is being converted into a 100 km/h expressway with interchanges. In the west, most of N11 is now also converted to free-flow.

In Flevoland, the N302 is one of the best examples of a four-lane divided highway. It links Lelystad and Harderwijk. Another such road is under construction, by twinning the N305. But both roads do not have driveway access or slow traffic on it. All intersecting traffic is controlled through ramps or traffic signals.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #11424
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Oosterhout signage

Oosterhout is one of the few municipalities to have installed experimental signage that is not complying to regular signage guidelines in the Netherlands.

Our friend Benjamin took some photos:

002 by Benjamin van der Velden, on Flickr

011 by Benjamin van der Velden, on Flickr

014 by Benjamin van der Velden, on Flickr

017 by Benjamin van der Velden, on Flickr
Old October 10th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #11425
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Some Swedish influences...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #11426
sotonsi

Finland and Norway both do the same thing - dashing the shield to denote a route leading to a road.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #11427
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I find that more confusing as you need to scan with your eyes a much larger area when approaching to intersection. There are also much more elements to analyse.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #11428
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Finland and Norway both do the same thing - dashing the shield to denote a route leading to a road.
Estonia as well, but it's all Swedish influences I reckon...
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #11429
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I find that more confusing as you need to scan with your eyes a much larger area when approaching to intersection. There are also much more elements to analyse.
Correct observation. That's why these 'stacking signs' were removed from the Dutch guidelines a long time ago.

I also feel this way with French signage in urban areas. There's just too much. The upside is that you can ignore all the white destinations along motorways in France if you know you don't have to exit for a while.

D383-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #11430
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The upside is that you can ignore all the white destinations along motorways in France if you know you don't have to exit for a while.
True, that is why I like Yugoslavian system of colours (used in all successor countries) that you can always differentiate road types on junctions.

There sould be just so much information as it is absolutely necessary not more.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #11431
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

There is much to be criticized about Italian signaling, but something Italy's got right is to provide clear indications of the "way out" to the nearest highway, visible for drivers.

Source: PianetaMotori.it

Wikipedia

I like the use of a very visible indication of direction to go to the highway, because the situation where one is most likely in need of a road sign is when someone is in an unfamiliar place, and needs to get out of a city/town. You are in town, you see a green sign, you know where to go.
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #11432
Road_UK
BANNED

That's in Germany, England and France and loads of other countries exactly the same.
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #11433
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Some pictures of the A7, Afsluitdijk

Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #11434
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Leeuwarden

The N31 Leeuwarden project

Old October 13th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #11435
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

I love those 2x2 N-roads. They tend to be more relaxing (less crowded) than motorways.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #11436
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I'm surprised those place names are in Dutch only rather than Frisian as well. I thought Frisian was now a, if not the, official language in Friesland?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #11437
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5831

Some really great pictures of the huge new Botlekbridge in the A15 highway which is progressing very well by Marin. The difference in size with the old bridge is really big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan

vigiliant, Palance liked this post
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #11438
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm surprised those place names are in Dutch only rather than Frisian as well. I thought Frisian was now a, if not the, official language in Friesland?
Both Dutch and Frisian are "official" languages. (There are no official languages are listed, but everybody has the right to use Frisian or Dutch when contacting governmental organizations in Friesland).
Municipalities in Friesland may choose to name their cities and streets
- Dutch only
- Frisian only
- Both, Dutch first
- Both, Frisian first

In the first and third option, the Dutch name will be signed on the roads, in the second and forth option, the Frisian name, although recent changes may require some time before seen on signage.

The big Frisian cities (Leeuwarden, Heerenveen, Drachten, Harlingen) all choose for Dutch names, and Leeuwarden, Heerenveen and Harlingen have a Frisian name as well.
The choise for Dutch names is mostly due to a fear that people won't recognize Ljouwert, It Hearrenfean, or Harns.
There are quite some Frisian named towns in Friesland, but they are smaller in general and therefore not found on national highway signage (except exits of course).

Suburbanist, Penn's Woods liked this post
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #11439
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Frisian is most prominently spoken on the countryside, in the larger towns and Leeuwarden, Frisian is less prominent (though still spoken). Practically all Frisian people are fluent in Dutch as well, although young children sometimes get limited exposure to Dutch on the countryside.

There is no serious push for secession or something. There is a Frisian National Party which gets quite a bit of votes, but they don't (openly) advocate for independence.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #11440
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

The N31 twinning seems like a solid project, although I find the new connection Werpsterhoek interchange - Leeuwarden via Goutum horrible when you're coming from the A32. It feels like it takes you almost 5 minutes longer to get to the city. Speed limit could easily be adjusted to 70 instead of 50.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands