daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #11441
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

The future route to western and central Leeuwarden follows N31 and then the Westelijke Invalsweg (western access road). The Overijsselselaan is supposed to be a secondary route, even though it will carry quite some traffic.

Leeuwarden will get three (in fact four) major access roads; Westelijke Invalsweg, Overijsselselaan and Drachtsterweg.

I agree though, that Overijsselselaan should have a 70 km/h speed limit.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #11442
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Okay that explains a lot. When will the Westerse invalsweg be ready?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #11443
ChrisZwolle
Road user

speed limits

Road authority Rijkswaterstaat will begin implementing speed limit signs on every 1 km hectometer pole along motorways this week. By December, 5,000 of such signs costing € 2.3 million will be posted along every motorway. They will be installed at both sides of the carriageway if there are three or more lanes in each direction.

Provinces have been doing this already for several years.

Old October 15th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #11444
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

A bad solution (illegible signs) to a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place (confusion about maximum speeds).

Wilhem275 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #11445
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N62 Tractaatweg, Zeeland

The Council of State has dismissed all appeals against the twinning of N62 'Tractaatweg' to a four-lane, divided, controlled-access highway between Terneuzen and the Belgian border.
This means construction can proceed as planned.

The new expressway will feature 3 interchanges and feed directly into the under construction Sluiskil Tunnel.
Construction is also going on to twin N62 between the Westerschelde Tunnel and A58, which means that by 2017, there will be a continuous 2x2, controlled-access expressway from A58 to the Belgian border.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor liked this post
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #11446
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Is it a viable alternative for Rotterdam-Belgium traffic (say below congested Antwerps?).

In that line, is there any chance we will see a full 2*2 controlled-access expressway in Zeeland from Rotterdam to the border in the future?
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #11447
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

No and no.

These projects were never meant for a Rotterdam-Antwerp connection, that would make zero sense anyway now that the A4 South is being finished up.

These projects (paid for by the Province of Zeeland, mind) serve two functions:
1) to improve the connections between the main towns of Zeeland, and
2) to improve the connections between the ports of Zeeland (Vlissingen, Terneuzen) and the ports of Flanders (Ghent, Antwerp).

Rotterdam doesn't really come into it.

The Province of Zeeland has been investing significant amounts in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen to improve the internal connections between the 5 main towns which can be thought of as lying in a + pattern:

Code:
			 Zierikzee
			     |
Vlissingen/Middelburg	   --+--	Goes
			     |
			 Terneuzen
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #11448
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's a bit of a pity that N61 wasn't fully upgraded to expressway standards. It's mostly a two-lane road with median divider and some passing lanes near roundabouts, and it features no grade-separation.

They said that 'interchanges are horizon pollution in the Zeeuws-Vlaanderen landscape'.
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #11449
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Yeah, rural West Zeeuws-Vlaanderen is not terribly high on the agenda. They lost the car ferry to Vlissingen and gained a so-so road to Terneuzen and the tunnel in return. Not a great deal, it's a long way around.

But the province seems hell-bend on preserving its rural nature for the huge number of tourists it continues to attract. There's a lot of sense in that, but I feel like sometimes the balance goes missing.

As for connections to Rotterdam; the Delta works are not in favor of such large scale upgrades. Not only would it cost hundreds of millions to upgrade the various dams in the West (N57), it's arguably a bad idea to severely increase (heavy) traffic flows (and its vibrations) on vital coastal defenses. There also isn't that much demand for more North-South connections in that part of the country anyway. The port of Antwerp lies directly South of Rotterdam's city center and the A4 is the ideal route. Going from Rotterdam to Antwerp via Zeeland is actually a bigger curve than going via Breda.
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #11450
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Road authority Rijkswaterstaat will begin implementing speed limit signs on every 1 km hectometer pole along motorways this week. By December, 5,000 of such signs costing € 2.3 million will be posted along every motorway. They will be installed at both sides of the carriageway if there are three or more lanes in each direction.

Provinces have been doing this already for several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
A bad solution (illegible signs) to a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place (confusion about maximum speeds).
I was about to ask what the need for that is...is there really that much variation that people wouldn't be sure?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #11451
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Speeding fines are very high, you can see a clear trend in recent years that people are taking it safe and rather drive below the speed limit than getting a ticket.

The fines are quite high for minimal offenses (like driving 10 km/h over the limit) and practically all fines are done by automatic speed camera, not some officer patrolling the roads, where you could get away with a warning or not even get pulled over. It is said some 90% of speeding fines are for only going up to 10 km/h over the limit.

A2 is notorious, because it partially has a 24/7 100 km/h speed limit, but partially also 100 during the day and 130 during the night. However, if you make a mistake, going 30 km/h too fast means a fine of € 270 even if the road doesn't change at all.
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #11452
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I was about to ask what the need for that is...is there really that much variation that people wouldn't be sure?
Well.. yes.

I believe this picture is from 2012, so there have been some changes already. But as you can see there are plenty of "changing" speed limits (in blue). And in some places when there are extra (narrower) lanes in operation during rush hour the speed will go down to there, but those aren't displayed on the map I think.

Penn's Woods, Godius liked this post
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #11453
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Gosh.

If they want to do it right, they should put little electronic, variable speed limit panels on the top of the kilometer-posts!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #11454
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Of course if I had my way it would be 130km/h everywhere save for some tight curves and tricky interchanges. My policy would be: "130km/h unless there's a bigass sign telling you to go slower" and certainly signs along the lines of "120km/h 6 - 19h" would be completely outlawed. Ridiculous nonsense.
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #11455
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You can thank the CDA for that. They didn't want to spend a small amount of money so that much more stretches could be 130 km/h. I believe it was in the order of € 20 million for mitigating measures.
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #11456
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Makes sense, they're always diluting ideas. Like their latest star suggestion of introducing a single income tax rate, but with two exceptions. So it's actually a 3 level tax rate, which is basically what we have now.
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #11457
ChrisZwolle
Road user

speed limits

The current speed limits in the Netherlands.

It does not take into account;

* shoulder running speed limit
* local point speed limit (short stretches near bridges, sluices or interchanges).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, EPA001 liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 15th, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #11458
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Futuristic map that is, with an opened A4 past Steenbergen
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #11459
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 751

I believe the A4 is 130 (24/7) from Burgerveen to De Hoek.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #11460
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
I believe the A4 is 130 (24/7) from Burgerveen to De Hoek.
Correct.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands