daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #11461
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Oh jesus, even Chris is confused. What hope is there for us mortals?

devo liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #11462
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
I believe the A4 is 130 (24/7) from Burgerveen to De Hoek.
A29 between Numansdorp and Dinteloord is also 130km/h (with the exception of the bridge at the Volkeraksluices which is 100km/h and also a very popular spot for speed traps...)
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #11463
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

It was even worse during that short period when the first 130km/h sectors appeared, but the standard speed limit was still 120. Then you had some confusing signs coexisting simultaneously (not on same sectors of course):

- 130 on specified times
- 130 except on specified times

I remember well they used one option for A2 near Zaltbommel and other option for A6 in Flevoland.
Old October 15th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #11464
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

Also Interchange A7/A32 Heerenveen is variable speed limit (100 km/h 6h-19h)
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #11465
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Council of State has dismissed all appeals against the twinning of N62 'Tractaatweg' to a four-lane, divided, controlled-access highway between Terneuzen and the Belgian border.
This means construction can proceed as planned.
Chris, if I got it right, it's expressway standard, isn't it?

It will feature 2 carriageways with each 2 lanes, will be grade-separated and access-controlled.

Should be part of my list, shouldn't it?

When have the works been started etcetera...

I guess the Sluiskil Tunnel will also have expressway standard and is currently u/c? What's about the Tractaatweg project?
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #11466
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

All N62 projects are conform your criteria.

* N62 A58 (Heinkenszand) - N254 ('s-Heerenhoek) 12 5.3 km 24-08-2014 - 2016 project
* N62 Sluiskil Tunnel 12 4.8 km 11-2011 - 23-05-2015 project
* N62 Terneuzen - Belgian border 2 10.3 km 2015 - 2017 project

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #11467
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5839

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Futuristic map that is, with an opened A4 past Steenbergen
Well, that new road will open quite soon. On a large part of that new stretch the lines for the individual lanes are already in place. I just drove by that new stretch of the A4 this afternoon and it is looking good.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #11468
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Muiderberg

A render of the new railway bridge across A1, to be constructed as part of the Schiphol - Amsterdam - Almere megaproject. It will span 17 lanes.

Old October 16th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #11469
ChrisZwolle
Road user

speed limits

The minister of infrastructure and environment published the draft decision to raise the speed limit on the following motorways;

* A4 Schiphol - De Hoek: 130 km/h (19-12-2014)
* A12 Zoetermeer - Bleiswijk: 130 km/h (evening & night) (19-12-2014)
* A12 Driebergen - Veenendaal: 130 km/h (29-03-2015)
* A20 N213 - Vlaardingen-West: 130 km/h (19-12-2014)
* A27 Eemnes - Almere: 130 km/h (01-07-2016)
* A59 VZP Lucht - Paalgraven: 130 km/h (19-12-2014)

All changes are in both directions of these segments. It will get rid of several variable speed limits, changing them to 130 km/h 24/7. The A27 speed limit will be raised than the others later due to planned full-depth reconstruction of the pavement in 2015-2016.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

riiga liked this post
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #11470
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The shortest motorway in the Netherlands:

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Slagathor, EPA001, SRC_100, Godius liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #11471
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5839

Officially it is the A38 which connects Ridderkerk (a suburb of Rotterdam with a population of app. 47,000) with the Ridderster Junction (Knooppunt Ridderster). With 1.5 km (not even 1 Mile long) it is the shortest Motorway in the Netherlands.

See: http://www.rijkswaterstaat.nl/wegen/...a38/index.aspx (in Dutch only).
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #11472
Maciek_CK
Great Scott!

Likes (Received): 1026

It's so short they didn't even bother to sign it . http://goo.gl/ZphE5p
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #11473
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

It's an error in Google Maps. The Kethelplein Interchange is currently being rebuild to connect the A4 Midden Delfland. For that reason, they removed the loop Europoort > Hoek van Holland and replaced it with the semidirect connection shown on the north.
Google maps forget to remove the North-South part of the loop.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #11474
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Today we went on a field trip to the Maeslantkering, so I had my first taste of the Westland.

I knew from maps that the area is not exactly a paradise of linear routes and peaceful countryside, but in practice I found it really messed up. It closely reminded me the savage urban sprawl that covers the Venice region, with the same kind of old road network having to serve a dense and heavy traffic. Given the size and the number of cities/villages around there I didn't expect so much heavy traffic, but probably the agricultural industry is responsible for most of the movements.

Probably being in the "forgotten corner" of the Rotterdam/Den Haag suburbs didn't help the area getting a consistent network of regional links, or even a functional plan of land usage (you can't really say what's a suburb of Den Haag and what's countryside).
Also, the amount of greenhouses is not helping in defining the built up areas. I think this is the visually messiest part of the Netherlands I've seen so far.

But I saw some pretty serious roadworks going on, roughly all along this path:
https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=Pe...k&mra=prv&z=14

If I got it right, they are building a straight link from N222 to N213 avoiding Naaldwijk, and a direct connection of N223 and N220, which now is completely missing and leading to some odd detours.

In general, the area seems to lack a definite backbone, which could be made turning the full path of N213 into a real A20 all the way to DH ring (S200), but I don't know if this is a big priority... considering S200 itself is mostly not even grade separated.
In general, I have the impression that DH western suburbs grew up a lot in recent times and they still have to find an equilibrium.

Another thing I noticed is that traffic on A4 (Delft > DH) looked really dense (Friday afternoon), I wonder how it will cope when opened to Rotterdam.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #11475
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Westland is pretty messy indeed. A poor road network, 100,000 inhabitants and thousands of trucks originating at the greenhouses. The Zoetermeer - Delft - Rotterdam triangle is similarly build-out, with lots and lots of greenhouses.

There was once an A54 planned from A4 via A20 to A15, with a tunnel under the Maeslant Storm Surge Barrier. It was planned recently as an alternative in the western connection of Rotterdam (they decided to build the A24 Blankenburg Tunnel because it would solve more traffic problems and cost less).

EPA001 liked this post
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #11476
Wilhem275
The Transporter

What really creates this confusion is probably the fact that the greenhouse industry is made of a quantity of dispersed centers, so there is a serious amount of traffic generating from a cloud of indefinite points (which is exactly the problem of the Venice area).

About the situation of Den Haag, there is something apparently disfunctional in the road network of the city. Probably it's due to the city being completely developed far from the main motorways network: to move in any direction one must drive through A LOT of city roads, so a place like Kijkduin feels like it is in the far corner of the world...

I'd like to understand if there are plans to improve this situation. I'm not a fan of heavy urban infrastructures at all costs, but at the moment this is a large city that feels more like a giant village... and this feeling is not limited to the road network, but rather to the general setup and soul of the city.

Old October 17th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #11477
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Planned aquaduct under two canals at Beek en Donk (east of Eindhoven), part of a new 80 km/h, grade-separated expressway from A50 at Eindhoven to N279 near Gemert.

EPA001, Suburbanist liked this post
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #11478
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Westland is pretty messy indeed. A poor road network, 100,000 inhabitants and thousands of trucks originating at the greenhouses. The Zoetermeer - Delft - Rotterdam triangle is similarly build-out, with lots and lots of greenhouses.

There was once an A54 planned from A4 via A20 to A15, with a tunnel under the Maeslant Storm Surge Barrier. It was planned recently as an alternative in the western connection of Rotterdam (they decided to build the A24 Blankenburg Tunnel because it would solve more traffic problems and cost less).
The greenhouses are causing a lot of the problems, but they are also preventing any solutions. The people of the Westland have their own regional culture centered around those greenhouses, which makes the greenhouses worth fighting for. When the A54 plans were discussed, there were some huge billboards placed asking the minister of infrastructure to save the greenhouses.
And when roads are build, aquiring the lands could be very expensive. Because the greenhouses are build as 1 seperate building, the whole building need to be bought when you want to use 1 meter of it.
For that reason, house and road building has been very expensive and created a lot of resistance. And because of that, the area looks rather messy.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #11479
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A8

The exits of A8 received new names;

Exit 1: Zaanstad-Zuid (was: Oostzaan)
Exit 2: Zaanstad-Koog (was: Zaandijk)
Exit 3: Zaanstad-Westerkoog (was: Zaandijk-West)
Exit 4: Zaanstad-Noord (was: Westzaan)

The municipality of Zaanstad is a collection of towns and villages grown into one city of 150,000 inhabitants, the largest city is Zaandam with 72,500 inhabitants. The Zaan area is one of the oldest industrial areas of Europe (mostly light industry). It had one of the biggest concentration of industry in the 17th and 18th centuries. Even whaling was an industry.
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #11480
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Exit 4 is Zaanstad-Assendelft
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands