daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #11481
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
What really creates this confusion is probably the fact that the greenhouse industry is made of a quantity of dispersed centers, so there is a serious amount of traffic generating from a cloud of indefinite points (which is exactly the problem of the Venice area).

About the situation of Den Haag, there is something apparently disfunctional in the road network of the city. Probably it's due to the city being completely developed far from the main motorways network: to move in any direction one must drive through A LOT of city roads, so a place like Kijkduin feels like it is in the far corner of the world...

I'd like to understand if there are plans to improve this situation. I'm not a fan of heavy urban infrastructures at all costs, but at the moment this is a large city that feels more like a giant village... and this feeling is not limited to the road network, but rather to the general setup and soul of the city.
The Hague's problem is that it was never meant to be a city. It was a rural retreat where the Estates General (the leaders of the cities and provinces of the old Republic) would meet. Its development was basically unintended and sort of spiraled out of control.

That bigass park outside Central Station is an old hunting ground protected from any development by law (the law in question is still valid). This had a major impact on how the city grew.

The city was never meant to have its own port, so there are no historic links to major water bodies. It later enveloped Scheveningen, but this is awkward. Any other city would have been built up around the Center-Scheveningen axis with developments to both the North and the South. But The Hague, because of that protected hunting ground, could only develop Southwards. This means there's a disproportionate number of suburbs piled on top of each other to the South of the city center (towards Westland).

It's a lopsided city, really. And one without a ring road because of the North Sea. So yeah, if you wanna go from Voorburg to Kijkduin... Good luck.
Slagathor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2014, 02:44 AM   #11482
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I'm sure Suburbanist will come up with a neat design to run stacked motorways through the city including one on the Scheveningen boulevard and one through Madurodam...

Slagathor, Coccodrillo liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #11483
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The exits of A8 received new names;
The municipality of Zaanstad is a collection of towns and villages grown into one city of 150,000 inhabitants, the largest city is Zaandam with 72,500 inhabitants. The Zaan area is one of the oldest industrial areas of Europe (mostly light industry). It had one of the biggest concentration of industry in the 17th and 18th centuries. Even whaling was an industry.
Does anyone know when the name 'Zaanstad' became widespread? Because I think I'm not the only one when I say it confuses the hell out of me. I know the word stad originally meant 'place' in the litteral sense, it's now only used as the word 'city'. So there's a municipality which is called 'Zaan city', but the biggest city is Zaandam (a more general name which doesn't really have to refer to a city/town per se, but could also be used as a name for a region). I always tend to confuse them with each other. Don't think the new names are really an improvement, as it's much more vague now. I've heard residents with the same complaint. But then again I rarely ever come there so don't know how much worse/better the new names are.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #11484
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Will other muncipalities that are the result of such merges follow suit, like Waterland or Drechterland?

Incidental question: is there a reason for mergers between former separated gemeenten to have taken place on Noord-Holland more than in other provinces?
Old October 18th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #11485
Road_UK
BANNED

You mean Friesland?

Old October 18th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #11486
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A4 Leiden

There was an open day at the aquaduct at Leiden today. The name of the aquaduct was unveiled as the 'Limes Aquaduct'. It is huge, the current setup is 2x3 lanes, but there's easily space to expand that to 2x5 lanes, probably even 2x6 lanes as there is another 4 m of space on the right side of the shoulder.

Both 'tubes' (it's not actually a tunnel) are 25.9 meters wide, divided by 3.5 m per lane that means 7.4 lanes or 6 lanes, a shoulder and narrow left shoulder. It is built in a way that it would never require an expansion again, even if traffic volumes would double to 250,000 vehicles per day.

DSC_0031.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0013.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout,
on Flickr

DSC_0014.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #11487
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Does anyone know when the name 'Zaanstad' became widespread? Because I think I'm not the only one when I say it confuses the hell out of me. I know the word stad originally meant 'place' in the litteral sense, it's now only used as the word 'city'. So there's a municipality which is called 'Zaan city', but the biggest city is Zaandam (a more general name which doesn't really have to refer to a city/town per se, but could also be used as a name for a region). I always tend to confuse them with each other. Don't think the new names are really an improvement, as it's much more vague now. I've heard residents with the same complaint. But then again I rarely ever come there so don't know how much worse/better the new names are.
Zaanstad had been introduced in 1974 (40 years ago) and subsequently been signed since then from further away. However, within Zaanstad the old names prevailed - until two years ago. Now the old names are just boroughs and districts within Zaanstad.

NB: the new names on the signs are a lot less vague. Local people always have used the names Westerkoog amd Rooswijk, and very nearby exit 2 you'll find the railway station "Koog-Zaandijk".

Suburbanist, SRC_100 liked this post

Last edited by aswnl; October 18th, 2014 at 08:46 PM.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #11488
ChrisZwolle
Road user

ARC Bridges

Bridges across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal near Amsterdam.

A1 Muiden Bridge. An 11-lane motorway bridge with a detached free-span bike bridge behind it. Opened 1970, modified 2010.

A1 Muiderbrug by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Construction of the second Muiden Bridge, part of A9. It will carry 9 lanes, so that there will be 20 lanes of traffic crossing the canal at this location. It will open around 2016.

A9 Tweede Muiderbrug-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

The Uylland Bridge, part of s114, a city route of Amsterdam. It is the eastern access to the IJburg development. The bridge opened to traffic in July 2014.

Uyllanderbrug by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Combined, there will be 5 bridges across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal within 1.5 km:

* Uylland Bridge (s114)
* Muiden Bridge (bicycles)
* Muiden Bridge (A1)
* 2nd Muiden Bridge (A9)
* Muiden Rail Bridge (twin span)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100, keokiracer, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 19th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #11489
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Will other muncipalities that are the result of such merges follow suit, like Waterland or Drechterland?
No - It was a decision of the municipality of Zaanstad to become one city in stead of a collection of cities/towns/villages under one municipal government. In part that makes some sense as it is all one built up connected area along the Zaan river, but in practice the people keep using the old names.

AFAIK no other merger-municipality has changed the names of built up areas or tried to merge them. The municipal mergers only reflect a change in the organization of the municipal government. People usually do not use the name of their municipality, and they are also not used for signage.

Quote:
Incidental question: is there a reason for mergers between former separated gemeenten to have taken place on Noord-Holland more than in other provinces?
I don't think that is the case. Mergers have been especially present in sparsely populated areas. Friesland, Drenthe, Zeeland and to a lesser extent Groningen and parts of Gelderland and Overijssel have seen more mergers in my opinion.

Here's a map of NL municipalities:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ten-2400px.png

In 1817 there were 1.236 municipalities in NL. On 1 Jan 2014 there were 403.

Last edited by woutero; October 19th, 2014 at 12:24 AM.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #11490
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
It's a lopsided city, really. And one without a ring road because of the North Sea. So yeah, if you wanna go from Voorburg to Kijkduin... Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I'm sure Suburbanist will come up with a neat design to run stacked motorways through the city including one on the Scheveningen boulevard and one through Madurodam...
Actually the S200 is almost running thorugh Madurodam

But I think there is room for some improvements, without going full-Suburbanist like a bunch of grade separations on N44 and S200 which don't need whole neighbourhoods to be leveled.

The N44 decision is something I don't get. The problem here is that most of the city is far from main motorways; there's this main road that connects a bit better but no, the decision is to try to get traffic back to A4 (far again).
Ok, N44 is "a rural road which grew too much" and runs through villages, but it's already there...

In general, I don't understand the current state of Den Haag urban development. I don't get if its expansion was a recent phenomenon and large scale planning is foreseen somewhere in the future, or if there was a deliberate decision to just let things the way they are.

I mean, the scale of the place is pretty serious now, it's about time to become a real city

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; October 19th, 2014 at 02:18 AM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #11491
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
is there a reason for mergers between former separated gemeenten to have taken place on Noord-Holland more than in other provinces?
Sometimes there is a specific reason: i.e. the Zuiderzee-waterfloodings of 1916 resulted in a lot of former Waterland-municipalities merging with Amsterdam, because they couldn't pay themselves for rebuilding the area. Subsequently they lost their self-governance and became part of Amsterdam(-Noord) - like Buiksloot, Schellingwoude, Durgerdam, Zunderdorp, Holysloot, etcetera.

Suburbanist liked this post
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #11492
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N261 Tilburg - Waalwijk

Aerial images of the N261 upgrade between Tilburg and Waalwijk. The A261 segment has been lost though, but N261 will be a 100 km/h free-flow expressway.

1. Interchange with A59.

2. Interchange with 'Professor Kamerlingh Onnesweg'.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, junky, Slagathor, SRC_100 liked this post
Old October 19th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #11493
junky

Likes (Received): 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Planned aquaduct under two canals at Beek en Donk (east of Eindhoven), part of a new 80 km/h, grade-separated expressway from A50 at Eindhoven to N279 near Gemert.

When should this be constructed/finished?
junky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #11494
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Within a few years. The provincial government selected the preferred alternative recently.

junky liked this post
Old October 20th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #11495
ChrisZwolle
Road user

glow-in-the-dark, N329, Oss

The 'glow-in-the-dark' road markings on N329 should be working again.

They implemented it early this year, but it was soon reported they didn't work at all (after going across the world media).

Suburbanist, SRC_100 liked this post
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #11496
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Is there any motorway section which is going to be U/C soon ?
I think that once when they finish with the A4 there is not going to be a motorway which needs to be built.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #11497
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6100

Well, A2 is still under construction. And they are going to widen some motorways. But not build any new ones as far as I know.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #11498
Suburbanist
on the road

Won't they extend A8?
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #11499
Road_UK
BANNED

To where? There's already the A7 on a small stroke of land, and there's not a lot of Netherlands left beyond the A7...
Old October 21st, 2014, 12:00 AM   #11500
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
To where? There's already the A7 on a small stroke of land, and there's not a lot of Netherlands left beyond the A7...
Linking A8 with A9 in Uitgeest.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands