daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2014, 12:04 AM   #11501
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

That's already being served by a dual carriageway, and I don't think the volumes of traffic requires a motorway upgrade. The existing A8, together with A5, A7 and A10 in the area should be more than sufficient.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2014, 12:05 AM   #11502
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Under construction:
A4 Dinteloord-Halsteren (due 29-11-2014)
N31 Bypass Leeuwarden (due 12-2014)
A4 Delft-Kethelplein (due 2015)
N62 Sluiskiltunnel (due 2015)
A2 Maastricht (due 2016)
A9 Bypass Badhoevedorp (due 2018)
A1/A9 Muiden-Weesp realignment (due 2020)

Procedures are running for:
A24 between A20 and A15
A15 between Ressen and A12
N62 between N61 and Belgium
A13/A16 between Terbregseplein and A13
N69 between A67 and Belgium
N11 between A4 and A44
A8 between A7 and A9
N58 between Eindhoven, Helmond and Asten

EPA001 liked this post

Last edited by verfmeer; October 21st, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 12:07 AM   #11503
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
That's already being served by a dual carriageway, and I don't think the volumes of traffic requires a motorway upgrade. The existing A8, together with A5, A7 and A10 in the area should be more than sufficient.
There's way too much traffic in the built-up area of Krommenie, which is why the Noord-Holland province is looking to build the A8-A9 link themselves as an expressway. They're currently busy choosing a preferred alternative. The most likely alternative will be the one that would link the A8 (well N8, probably with another number as well) to the A9 at the Heemskerk exit.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 12:55 AM   #11504
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Is there any motorway section which is going to be U/C soon ? I think that once when they finish with the A4 there is not going to be a motorway which needs to be built.
There are still motorways which need to be built in The Netherlands, but sadly enough not for all is there funding available. The same goes for some motorways which need additional lanes desperately but which will have to wait until funding becomes available.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:22 AM   #11505
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
To where? There's already the A7 on a small stroke of land, and there's not a lot of Netherlands left beyond the A7...
it won't be long, there will be more Netherlands there in a few years anyhow
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:08 AM   #11506
ChasingCars

Likes (Received): 167

Decrease of congestion in The Netherlands stopped

After years of continuous decrease in congestion, the trend has stopped. For the first time in years congestion on major roads is up again, albeit slightly, compared to 4 months ago. The increase is said to be mostly weather-related and due to specific roadworks, according to Dutch road authority Rijkswaterstaat.
Article (in Dutch only): http://nos.nl/artikel/712201-files-w...er-minder.html
ChasingCars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 03:03 PM   #11507
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

development of traffic congestion since 2000:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 03:56 PM   #11508
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15, Botlek Bridge, Rotterdam

Old & New

By De Fotograaf

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, snowdog, Suburbanist liked this post
Old October 21st, 2014, 04:52 PM   #11509
EPA001

The new bridge is so much bigger in every aspect compared to the old one. This will be a huge improvement for the traffic there. And it is a badly needed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingCars View Post
After years of continuous decrease in congestion, the trend has stopped. For the first time in years congestion on major roads is up again, albeit slightly, compared to 4 months ago. The increase is said to be mostly weather-related and due to specific roadworks, according to Dutch road authority Rijkswaterstaat.
Article (in Dutch only): http://nos.nl/artikel/712201-files-w...er-minder.html
With the Top-4 of traffic jams all around or at Rotterdam. Expansions are desperately needed.

Article (in Dutch only):
Rotterdam Area again frontrunner in traffic jam top 10
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:02 PM   #11510
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 -A44 link, Leiden

Renders of the 'Rijnlandroute' (RLR) a planned expressway that will link A4 and A44 south of Leiden.

1. The A4-RLR interchange.

2. Looking north along A4.

3. The A44-RLR interchange.

4. A44 will be widened from 4 to 8 lanes.

5. Rijnlandroute & new aquaduct.

EPA001, lafreak84 liked this post
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:06 PM   #11511
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I can't find the info right now: what is the situation about A4 south of Rotterdam? Any procedure going on, or it isn't even under discussion?

Maybe it's not so important, in the end you need it to access just Zeeland and Bergen o.Z. from N+Z Holland, for everything else there are better alternatives.
Is A15 enough for its volumes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Renders of the 'Rijnlandroute' (RLR) a planned expressway that will link A4 and A44 south of Leiden.
Again, sorry for the repetition: it's not clear to me why they chose this (not cheap) project instead of improving the only existing alternative access to Den Haag.

I remember you posted projections about the dicrease of traffic on N44 due to this, which is indeed an improvement itself.
So, less traffic on N44 + better connection from Leiden and the coast towards South was seen as better than completing A44, right?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; October 21st, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:27 PM   #11512
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

There will soon be only 1 missing link left in the A4: the A4 Hoeksche Waard. I guess that's the one you're referring to:

That one's not happening any time soon. Environmental and NIMBY opposition times a thousand.

It would actually be an important link between the ports of Rotterdam and Antwerp so the economic incentive is there, really.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:31 PM   #11513
EPA001

And it would be so good and only logical to have this (soon to be) only missing link in the A4-South available to traffic. Also the city of Spijkenisse desperately needs an additional exit to be less dependent on the Spijkenissebrug en Hartelbrug connections with the most cities of the region.
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:36 PM   #11514
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Again, sorry for the repetition: it's not clear to me why they chose this (not cheap) project instead of improving the only existing alternative access to Den Haag.
The 'Rijnlandroute' will not be build to relieve Den Haag, but to relieve the city of Leiden from east-west traffic. There is currently no decent east-westroute between densely populated Leiden / western suburbs & towns, and N11 towards Alphen / Utrecht.

As part of a separate project, A12 in Den Haag will be relieved by several upgrades;

* N14 grade-separation
* A13 extension (Rotterdamsebaan)
* Prinses Beatrixlaan grade-separation
* N211 grade-separation

So there will be 5 high-standard routes into the Den Haag area instead of just 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
That one's not happening any time soon. Environmental and NIMBY opposition times a thousand.
It's not on the national political priorities and there is no funding for it until well after 2020. I don't think it's feasible as a toll road, just like the A16 extension to A13 wasn't feasible as a toll road.

With the current outlook, I expect no A4 south before 2030.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:37 PM   #11515
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Yep, exactly that one. The existing detour via A15 is just 11 km longer, so not a terrible deal IMHO; but since the capacity around Rotterdam seems to be so problematic, I wonder if the widened A15 will last long enough.

Probably, around Rotterdam, having a backup route to distribute traffic should have a high value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
As part of a separate project, A12 in Den Haag will be relieved by several upgrades;

* N14 grade-separation
* A13 extension (Rotterdamsebaan)
* Prinses Beatrixlaan grade-separation
* N211 grade-separation
Well, finally!

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:41 PM   #11516
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

At the moment, Rotterdam is getting a great upgrade in transport. With the A4 completed at Midden Delfland and Steenbergen, the A13-A20-A16 route will see a decrease in traffic. Although it is great news, it doesn't solve all the problems. On the east side the problems remain.

The A20 Gouwe-Terbregseplein is now the most congested motorway in the Netherlands. It isn't far away from the most congested road in the Netherlands, the N210 Algerabrug. The intensities of this bridge is 50% higher than its theoritical capacity, causing huge traffic jams.

To solve those problems, new roads are needed. One of the best options is extending the A38 to the A20. It would be a ring road around the suburbs of Capelle a/d IJssel and Krimpen a/d IJssel, and would give traffic between Gouda and Rotterdam-South/Dordrecht a shorter alternative.

Although it would be very costly due to 2 river crossings, it would greatly relieve traffic in the region, improving the accessability of the region.
Therefore, I think it is something that should be seriously considered.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:55 PM   #11517
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

What about the A16 extension to A13?
Old October 21st, 2014, 07:05 PM   #11518
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Through central Rotterdam? Otherwise a link is provided via A20...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 07:29 PM   #11519
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
There will soon be only 1 missing link left in the A4: the A4 Hoeksche Waard. I guess that's the one you're referring to:

I really hate it that people call that part the A4-South, the actual A4-South is at Steenbergen, not near Rotterdam
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 07:32 PM   #11520
sotonsi

Quote:
Through central Rotterdam?
Around the edge, assuming you are talking about the A16 extension.

A least some of the link has been on OSM for years http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/51.9582/4.4967

and a quick google for 'a13 - A16 link rotterdam' provides things like http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbindingsweg_A13/A16
Quote:
Otherwise a link is provided via A20...
Which, as pointed out by verfmeer, is very congested!
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands