daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #11641
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koesj View Post
Average dwelling size isn't that large to begin with, and peoples' expectations have changed as well. Anecdotally, my 60sq m. house was planned 120 years ago to house a whole family, but nowadays couples move out of this street as soon as they get a baby. It's not easily dividable either.
In the UK, particularly around the edge of London, we have a lot of 'conversions'. The first flat I rented was a big house converted into about 10 flats. I just went on www.rightmove.co.uk and searched for flats within a half of a mile of my old postcode, KT5 8JW, and I find lots of conversions, usually 'Victorian conversions' (houses built during the reign of Queen Victoria converted into flats).

Of course, a more drastic solution is simply to demolish the old houses and build purpose built blocks, but that is more controversial.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #11642
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

In some countries like USA and parts of UK, many cyclist-activists are actually against separated bike paths and in favor of "vehicular cycling" and "right to ride", meaning a focus on making cycling legal on roads and streets, and having cars to treat them as motorbikes. What I usually try to explain is that cycling will never become mainstream with such approach, it will remain the domain of adrenaline junkies or a niche group.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #11643
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
In the UK, particularly around the edge of London, we have a lot of 'conversions'. The first flat I rented was a big house converted into about 10 flats. I just went on www.rightmove.co.uk and searched for flats within a half of a mile of my old postcode, KT5 8JW, and I find lots of conversions, usually 'Victorian conversions' (houses built during the reign of Queen Victoria converted into flats).

Of course, a more drastic solution is simply to demolish the old houses and build purpose built blocks, but that is more controversial.
This is a bit off-topic, but there is something to be noticed. UK had many large house estates that could be converted. Netherlands has far less. Most houses, even in "posh" neighborhoods, were often already built small, without the usual "servant quarters" and related facilities.

Conversion will often be very costly, or just impractical.
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #11644
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A student I supervise was stopped by police. He is from Australia, loves cycling and just went cycling on his bad-ass sport bike on A58 shoulder

He got fined and was complaining just before class started that how unfair it is, that he likes to cycle on roads but can't do that here in Netherlands.

It is not the first time, he got another fine for cycling outside a designated path in Tilburg once as he told me. He considers cycle paths too slow for him.
Depending which state he's from, it's probably legal where he comes from.

In New South Wales cycling is permitted on many urban as well as rural motorways.
In Victoria on rural freeways
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #11645
radamfi

Another reason why Brits/Americans/Australians don't like cycle paths is that they fear that if they get badly designed cycle paths everywhere (i.e. not good ones like in NL) they will get banned from the road. At the moment, you are allowed to cycle on the road even if there is a cycle path in the UK and probably also in the US and Australia.
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #11646
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

The land price is a major problem for the Dutch housing market. The second problem is the costs of human work. Combine this with the suburbs housing style of those semi detached housing and what you got are the high housing prices.

On the other side, some 40 % of the housing stock are the social houses. But, sometimes it can get weird and the social housing rents may be higher than the mortgage paid on virtually the same houses.

With very high density and with the aversion for high rise housing in apartments it won't be very easy to draw the housing price down in the Randstad and more densely populated areas.

In the less populated areas the spacial planing causes high land prices, which prevents private construction and construction of detached houses. Individuals have very limited possibilities to influence this spacial planning and getting a plot is mostly possible only for the corporations (either private or the foundations building social housing).

The Dutch family houses are in fact not really expensive if you look at the materials used. Yet, there is almost none individual private construction. This is I guess, because to get a plot is already too expensive and impossible without getting indebted. Getting a mortgage on a plot land doesn't sound that interesting though. That is also the reason, in my eyes, that there are relatively many Dutch that are busy with reconstructions of private owned family houses, but almost none that are busy with construction of new family houses.

I read somewhere that the Dutch aristocracy (including the royal family) owns above 1,15 mil (0.4 mil) acres of land, which is around 7 % of the land. It doesn't seem that much. In Britain it is 30 % of the land.

So why is the land so expensive? Is it just because of the high density? Water problems? High farming subsidies? The spacial planning?

I guess all of the above. It would be worth to read this book nevertheless: http://books.google.nl/books?id=ogWU...rlands&f=false
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #11647
radamfi

The CBS has a publication called "Baby Boomers in the Netherlands"

http://www.cbs.nl/NR/rdonlyres/F7F73...012a328pub.pdf

It is an interesting read and explains why the birth rate after 1945 was high, but not really why it was higher than in other countries. The birth rate appears to drop off after 1970.
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #11648
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
In some countries like USA and parts of UK, many cyclist-activists are actually against separated bike paths and in favor of "vehicular cycling" and "right to ride", meaning a focus on making cycling legal on roads and streets, and having cars to treat them as motorbikes. What I usually try to explain is that cycling will never become mainstream with such approach, it will remain the domain of adrenaline junkies or a niche group.
The vehicular cycling bunch would be (in the most part) very very happy with 'dutch-style' cycle facilities, that treat bicycles like vehicles for travel but at the same time allow those cycling for leisure or can't travel at 20km/h space to not have to engage with cars, etc.

Their issue is that cyclists are typically given facilities that treat them like pedestrians, forcing them to travel at little more than walking pace (rendering cycling pretty useless as a way of getting about), and then get abuse for not using the crappy facilities, but the road.

In the UK, the vehicular cyclists are following Governmental good practice for cycling on the road, but are undermined by <4ft wide 'cycle lanes' (not good practice - they need to be at least 6ft) that encourage riding in the gutter and getting overtaken/undertaken with next to no room. Many facilities, by their design, encourage dangerous actions by those in both motorised and pedal-powered vehicles - and certainly the expectations of people is that cyclists should be doing the opposite of what is good and safe practice because it is 'safer'.

Off road (on pavement) cycle routes are little better - with kerbs (and sometimes even stairs) to negotiate, street furniture (including bus shelters) right in the middle of the rather narrow way, having to give way to every side street, sharp 90 degree turns - even on the ones that weren't designed by someone who sees cycling as the preserve of children not really wanting to get somewhere efficiently but to have fun.

Wilhem275 liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #11649
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A4, Leiden

The recently 'completed' A4 at Leiden (some remaining works on the older carriageway are to be completed yet). More photos by De Fotograaf

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, SRC_100, Surel liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #11650
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5841

Too bad there are only 3 lanes per "tube" where there is room for a maximum of 6 lanes. At least 4 lanes are necessary at present. But the pictures are beautiful and driving there has improved enormously after the second "tube" opened for traffic last Saturday.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #11651
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
At least 4 lanes are necessary at present
No, not necessarily to be honest. Of course an extra lane wouldn't be bad, the problem is the parallel system with a 1-2-2-1 configuration. That needs to be either 4-4 (without weaving lanes) or 2-3-3-2
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #11652
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The VID camera at Zoeterwoude shows dense, but flowing traffic during rush hour (4.50 p.m.)
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #11653
Suburbanist
on the road

Why have they adopted this 1-2-2-1 configuration?

----------------------
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #11654
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Because they made an error on the 2+3+3+2 procedure, so they wanted to make sure it would go through the second time. But the have reservations for the extra lanes and they are planned with the Rijnlandroute.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:30 PM   #11655
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N35 Salland-Twente Tunnel, Nijverdal

The Salland-Twente Tunnel in Nijverdal will open to traffic on 11 December.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:23 PM   #11656
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

It looks like it's prepared for 2x2. Is that the plan in the future or is the emergency lane mandatory?
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:28 PM   #11657
Suburbanist
on the road

What is the story behind the toll on Kiltunnel? Is it a permanent toll, or does it have a removal date, like the former toll on the Zeelandbrug?
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:40 PM   #11658
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
It looks like it's prepared for 2x2. Is that the plan in the future or is the emergency lane mandatory?
The vision is a '2x2 expressway' from Zwolle to Wierden. But as long as politicians don't put the money where their mouth is, not much will become of it.

The N35 needs a better approach. Right now there are plans for a short segment near the village of Wijthmen (just outside Zwolle), and from Nijverdal to Wierden. But the large missing link between Wijthmen and Nijverdal is not funded and there's almost no political buzz about it, apart from a € 15 million package for minor upgrades that won't do anything to improve travel times.

Overijssel is quite segregrated. At one side there is Zwolle-Kampen, on the other is Almelo-Hengelo-Enschede but they are poorly integrated. Enschede is considered to be 'very far' from a Zwolle viewpoint, and that is mainly due to the poor road connections between the two population regions. N35 needs a package like the 'Centrale As' in Friesland or N33 twinning in Drenthe-Groningen.
Old November 1st, 2014, 12:01 AM   #11659
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N69 Eindhoven - Belgium

The final plan of the new N69 has been approved by Noord-Brabant province today. It will be presented on 12 November and the public can comment until 24 December.

The N69 is a new two-lane road with an 80 km/h speed limit that will bypass Valkenswaard & Waalre. The project is criticized for the lack of ambition, it was originally planned as a motorway. The Belgian N74, which is built as a motorway, ends abruptly at the Dutch border.
Old November 1st, 2014, 04:07 PM   #11660
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N242, Heerhugowaard

A new interchange along N242 in Heerhugowaard opened to traffic last month.

1 by Benjamin van der Velden, on Flickr

2 by Benjamin van der Velden, on Flickr

EPA001, Luki_SL liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands