daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:54 PM   #11681
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
It is actually prepared for electrification. I believe that I read that when the line will be up for tender (it's not part of the Hoofdrailnet) it will be mandatory to have asneltrein Zwolle-Enschedebesides the local train.
I was actually thinking about Amsterdam - Enschede/Berlin 200 km/h trains via Hanzelijn and Zwolle, just a bit hardcore compared to the current situation of Nijverdal

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:44 PM   #11682
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A study by the 'Kennisinstituut Mobiliteit' (Netherlands Institute for Transport Policy Analysis) shows that the massive motorway expansion projects in the Netherlands resulted in limited 'induced demand'.

Use of the main road network increased by 16% from 2000 to 2012. Of this increase, it is estimated that approximately one-eighth (2%) was a consequence of the extra car use that was evoked by the completed road expansions during that same period.

At locations where road capacity was expanded due to previous congestion problems, there were during peak hours often sharp increases in traffic volumes. This primarily concerns existing traffic that, due to congestion, had previously opted to travel via other routes or avoided peak hour travel. Moreover, the road expansion also evoked totally new car use, because, for example, car passenger became car driver or because car drivers travel to destinations situated further away. This effect is however relatively limited.
http://kimnet.nl/en/publication/late...d-road-traffic

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, Kanadzie, verreme, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #11683
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
It's just a single track non electrified line carrying some local dieseltrains between Zwolle and Almelo.
It's not 'just a single track non electrified line', it's actually part of the hoofdrailnet (HRN: main rail network).

Just for the idea:
Passenger count per day in 2007:
Leeuwarden - Groningen: 13.293
Zwolle - Wierden (- Enschede): 18.154
Nijmegen - Roermond: 18.076

There are actual plans to electrify this line. The study also includes numbers on rerouting Amsterdam-Enschede/Berlin Intercities over this line. (estimates: [email protected] speeds, up to [email protected]/h on the Hanzelijn)

Wilhem275 liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #11684
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Glad to hear my idea was not completely idiotic

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #11685
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A study by the 'Kennisinstituut Mobiliteit' (Netherlands Institute for Transport Policy Analysis) shows that the massive motorway expansion projects in the Netherlands resulted in limited 'induced demand'.

Use of the main road network increased by 16% from 2000 to 2012. Of this increase, it is estimated that approximately one-eighth (2%) was a consequence of the extra car use that was evoked by the completed road expansions during that same period.

At locations where road capacity was expanded due to previous congestion problems, there were during peak hours often sharp increases in traffic volumes. This primarily concerns existing traffic that, due to congestion, had previously opted to travel via other routes or avoided peak hour travel. Moreover, the road expansion also evoked totally new car use, because, for example, car passenger became car driver or because car drivers travel to destinations situated further away. This effect is however relatively limited.
http://kimnet.nl/en/publication/late...d-road-traffic
Take the "limited" out of your sentence and you could make a nice headline for a news article.
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #11686
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N257

Provincial road N257 at the Krammer Locks.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, snowdog liked this post
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #11687
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

The Krammer Locks are (or at least were when they were built in the late '70s) unique: they're massively complicated because they cannot allow the fresh water on the one side to mix with the salt water on the other (or vice versa). It's an engineering feat of the highest order and their construction resulted in the natural emergence of salt marshes and new wildlife on the Western side.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #11688
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

N257 will become more attractive once A4 is opened and traffic from East doesn't have to cross clogged Steenbergen streets.

I also wonder whether any progress can be expected on a southern extension of nearby N656 to N659 providing an expressway route beteween these two points
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #11689
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Uhm, to what means and purpose?

I'm also not sure I got the meaning of your first part.

Road_UK liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #11690
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

About that first part: traffic form the Goerree-Overflakkee Island and the Bruinisse/Nieuwerkerk region will use the N257 and A4 to get to Bergen op Zoom and Antwerpen.
At this moment traffic will have to pass through Steenbergen to get to the N259. Because the A4 is build west of Steenbergen, that won't be neccesary in the future. Therefore traffic will move from the N59 and the N256 towards the N257.

Suburbanist liked this post
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #11691
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The left lane of A28 in Zwolle is a dynamic lane (plusstrook) that opens during rush hour to provide a third lane. However, the electronics malfunctioned. The result: 18 kilometers of traffic jam, while it is usually free-flow through Zwolle due to the dynamic lane. An additional lane can make a huge difference.

Old November 4th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #11692
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
It's not 'just a single track non electrified line', it's actually part of the hoofdrailnet (HRN: main rail network).

Just for the idea:
Passenger count per day in 2007:
Leeuwarden - Groningen: 13.293
Zwolle - Wierden (- Enschede): 18.154
Nijmegen - Roermond: 18.076

There are actual plans to electrify this line. The study also includes numbers on rerouting Amsterdam-Enschede/Berlin Intercities over this line. (estimates: [email protected] speeds, up to [email protected]/h on the Hanzelijn)
It's just a far away diesel line. And the passenger counts are really not enough to invest in electrification. It's not much more than let's say the N286 near Tholen or some other 3 digit N-road. Just as you wouldn't upgrade that road to a motorway with that amount of vehicles, it would be totally insane to upgrade a secundairy railroad carrying the same amount of people.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #11693
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

One of the major reasons electrification does make sense is the fact that trains are not allowed to run on low-tax diesel ('rode diesel') any more. Also electric trains allow for shorter journey times and allow the line to be used for purposes it isn't used for. A more direct Zwolle-Enschede train is greatly missed for instance.

The problem is that the actual passenger numbers on the Zwolle-Almelo axis are a bit skewed. Car traffic is skewed because Nijverdal is still a soon to be solved major obstacle and people choose to use A1-A50 or a route over the N36 instead. Same goes for travel by train. In some cases a trip via Deventer or Marienberg is just as quick.
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #11694
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The left lane of A28 in Zwolle is a dynamic lane (plusstrook) that opens during rush hour to provide a third lane. However, the electronics malfunctioned. The result: 18 kilometers of traffic jam, while it is usually free-flow through Zwolle due to the dynamic lane. An additional lane can make a huge difference.
I was gonna ask today. Saw a huge traffic jam from the railway bridge yesterday, all the way to Hattem on that provincial road.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #11695
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

An unusually complex, now dismantled, road junction in 's-Hertogenbosch

Source
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #11696
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

I hated that place, as Den Bosch is one of the cities with a DMV. It used to be a test-buster.

It's also one of the few place where you seem to drive on the left.
Old November 7th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #11697
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N33 Assen - Noordbroek

Loads of aerial photos of completed N33 after widening to 2x2 lanes.

http://inthesky.nl/n33/20141104
Old November 9th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #11698
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Steenbergen

The soon-to-be-opened A4 around Steenbergen.

Slagathor, Victorinus, SRC_100 liked this post
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #11699
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N61 Terneuzen - Schoondijke

The reconstructed N61 in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen (far southwest Netherlands).

Old November 11th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #11700
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Breda International Airport (formerly known as Seppe Airfield) is shortened to Breda Airport on the new signs.

I didn't even know this 'airport' existed. It's a small general aviation airfield with a paved runway, unsuitable for jet airplanes.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands