daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #11761
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

A4 Steenbergen

A4 around Steenbergen (Dinteloord - Klutsdorp) opened to traffic as planned at 6:00 a.m. this morning. It is 13 kilometers of new 2x2 motorway with a 120 km/h speed limit. (the media reports 19 km but that includes parts of A4 which opened several years ago). The cost was € 275 million.

The 'aquaduct Steenbergen aan zee' (sic).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #11762
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

Optimistic name. Or pessimistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
And how do you think they would react when you would answer "no comment"?
A) I wouldn't say it like that.
B) I can't read other people's minds.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #11763
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5856

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A4 around Steenbergen (Dinteloord - Klutsdorp) opened to traffic as planned at 6:00 a.m. this morning. It is 13 kilometers of new 2x2 motorway with a 120 km/h speed limit. (the media reports 19 km but that includes parts of A4 which opened several years ago). The cost was € 275 million.

The 'aquaduct Steenbergen aan zee' (sic).
Finally this section is now open. Only two sections of the A4 to go. Late next year the desperately necessary A4-MD between Delft and Schiedam (connecting with the Rotterdam Ring of Highways) will open.

The only missing part of the A4 (Rotterdam-Hooglviet to Klaaswaal) is still not officially planned yet.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #11764
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

You could always get a 4x4 and just drive through the fields there. Out of sheer frustration.
Old November 24th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #11765
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Optimistic name. Or pessimistic?

A) I wouldn't say it like that.
B) I can't read other people's minds.
How would you say it?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #11766
Oostoever

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
You could always get a 4x4 and just drive through the fields there. Out of sheer frustration.
Well, be sure then that car is waterproof or is able to float since you have to cross two rivers between Rotterdam-Hoogvliet and Klaaswaal.
Oostoever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #11767
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
How would you say it?
Please do feel free to give your usual passive-aggressive bs a short vacation this week.

Road_UK liked this post
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #11768
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
The only missing part of the A4 (Rotterdam-Hooglviet to Klaaswaal) is still not officially planned yet.
Yep, very unfortunate, Spijkenisse is a **** to get to, and Oud-Beijerland could use some improvement reachability wise too.

This would loosen the traffic on the eastern parts of Rotterdam by a lot, as there'd be one through route from The Hague to Antwerpen, rather than the current A13>A20>A16 mess which clogs up the entire area.

Just one fart on any of those 3, and pretty much whole R'dam is a gridlock.

Quote:
And how do you think they would react when you would answer "no comment"?
It depends on what type of cop I'm dealing with, I usually just answer all the questions, as it usually gets me out of a ticket ( I'm often stopped for speeding). I'm mr. innocent ''cute'' small little guy and very apologetic. Being polite works on most cops.

However, the moment cops start ''looking'' for stuff to fine, or being a general ass/jerk, I often respond annoyed to their questions and tell them that it is none of their business and I am free to be on a public road as I please. The moment they push it ( I've had some threaten me ''stop doing that or I'll find thousands in fines for fine you''), I start filming them, or tell them it's on camera ( dashcam).

Surel liked this post

Last edited by snowdog; November 24th, 2014 at 08:34 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #11769
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

I though keokiracer was going to cycle the whole sector before it opened and post a video. He wrote he'd do that before opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Yep, very unfortunate, Spijkenisse is a **** to get to, and Oud-Beijerland could use some improvement reachability wise too.

This would loosen the traffic on the eastern parts of Rotterdam by a lot, as there'd be one through route from The Hague to Antwerpen, rather than the current A13>A20>A16 mess which clogs up the entire area.

Just one fart on any of those 3, and pretty much whole R'dam is a gridlock.
Something I don't understand is this: why don't they build a drawbridge/tunnel between Nieuw-Beijerland and Spikenisse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oostoever View Post
Well, be sure then that car is waterproof or is able to float since you have to cross two rivers between Rotterdam-Hoogvliet and Klaaswaal.
Problem solved

Wilhem275, EPA001 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #11770
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2455

Is that 'aquaduct Steenbergen aan zee' extendable to 3 lanes?
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #11771
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I can't remember ever saying that Subi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Klauw View Post
Is that 'aquaduct Steenbergen aan zee' extendable to 3 lanes?
Yes.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #11772
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Please do feel free to give your usual passive-aggressive bs a short vacation this week.
What do you mean?

I would rather like to know how would you tell the police that it is your business what you are doing there where they stopped you. I seriously doubt that it can be easily done. But if there is some special phrase I could use in such a situation when stopped by the Dutch police I would like to know it.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #11773
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Eindhoven region

The chances for the construction of a new 80 km/h expressway around Eindhoven / Helmond, the so-called 'square around Eindhoven', seems to be getting slimmer. The region wants to widen A2 (Weert - Eindhoven) and A67 (Eindhoven - Venlo) instead.

The original plan was to build a 80 km/h slowspeed expressway (controlled-access though) from A50 at Ekkersrijt (north of Eindhoven) to N279 near Beek en Donk, and then twin the existing N279 to a four-lane expressway, also with an 80 km/h speed limit. It would be partially funded through the national government.

Right now it seems that 74 MPs are in favor of widening the A67 and 69 in favor of building the 'square'. The remaining 7 MPs are split off their previous parties and will make or break the 'square'. Transportation minister Schultz already indicated she will go with whatever parliament decides.
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #11774
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
What do you mean?

I would rather like to know how would you tell the police that it is your business what you are doing there where they stopped you. I seriously doubt that it can be easily done. But if there is some special phrase I could use in such a situation when stopped by the Dutch police I would like to know it.
Most cops are decent chaps, the stuff I've gotten away with by simply apologising is mind boggling, I've not been handed a single fine for speeding by a cop despite being caught by cops once in a while. ( only a speed camera once, grrr, cash machine caught me doing a whopping 56 km/h @ 50 km/h ) so I simply reply to all their questions like they want.

But if he starts writing a fine ( usually the older farts), or start looking for stuff to fine, then when they ask me stuff:
''Hoezo wilt u dat weten'', ''ik voel mij niet verplicht om hier antwoord op te geven'' and in case of fines: ''ik ga niet meewerken aan mijn eigen veroordeling'', ''geen verklaring''. As anything I say works against me in front the the judge when I appeal the case ( I always combat every single fine, and sometimes win ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The chances for the construction of a new 80 km/h expressway around Eindhoven / Helmond, the so-called 'square around Eindhoven', seems to be getting slimmer. The region wants to widen A2 (Weert - Eindhoven) and A67 (Eindhoven - Venlo) instead.

The original plan was to build a 80 km/h slowspeed expressway (controlled-access though) from A50 at Ekkersrijt (north of Eindhoven) to N279 near Beek en Donk, and then twin the existing N279 to a four-lane expressway, also with an 80 km/h speed limit. It would be partially funded through the national government.

Right now it seems that 74 MPs are in favor of widening the A67 and 69 in favor of building the 'square'. The remaining 7 MPs are split off their previous parties and will make or break the 'square'. Transportation minister Schultz already indicated she will go with whatever parliament decides.
I still hope the Ruit Eindhoven wins, but unfortunately I don't see it happening .

Surel liked this post

Last edited by snowdog; November 24th, 2014 at 08:49 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #11775
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5856

The "Ruit" would gave more redundancies in handling the traffic. Overall that would be the better solution. But with the doubting politicians another widening of the A2 and A67 might have the better chances now. But I would not be in favor for that.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #11776
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
The "Ruit" would gave more redundancies in handling the traffic. Overall that would be the better solution.
It would make the network more robust, but they absolutely don't want through traffic on the northeastern quadrant of the 'square', so I don't think this project should receive national funding if they don't want it to serve national interests at all cost.

The whole project has been downgraded, first the Veghel - Helmond leg was scrapped (planned as 2x2, 100 km/h) then they decided to build 's-Hertogenbosch - Veghel (separate project) with 80 km/h only and now they also want to build the actual 'square' with only 80 km/h as well.

That's almost € 900 million to build a motorway-like road with the speed limit of any other provincial road.
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #11777
Suburbanist
on the road

Postpone this project, and invest the €€ on making N65 into A65 between Vught and Tilburg!
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #11778
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They misspelled 'Dinteloord' on one of the signs at Steenbergen exit of A4.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, EPA001 liked this post
Old November 25th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #11779
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

That sign is pretty high up there... Maybe we should just change the town's name?

Road_UK liked this post
Old November 25th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #11780
Suburbanist
on the road

How much does a sign like this cost, roughly (just the sign and the associated pole)

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands