daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #11841
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
In general, what could be the most spectacular firework show in the Randstad?
The one in Rotterdam. We don't really have any other ones. People get their own fireworks. I hate it but that's the way it is.

Quote:
A lot of hype is being pulled on the show at the Buitenhof in Den Haag, but I prefer to follow some experienced advice...
Say what? First time I hear of this.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #11842
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Welcome to the Dutch Highways and Fireworks thread.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Slagathor, Road_UK liked this post

Last edited by Penn's Woods; December 12th, 2014 at 03:33 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #11843
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

It's Suburbanist's fault, as usual

From Dutch people I heard stories about people blowing up themselves on New Year's Eve, confirms my idea that this place is a Naples only apparently more civilized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Say what? First time I hear of this.
There we go, with this majestic presentation:
http://www.denhaag.nl/en/residents/t...-Hofvijver.htm

I think I'll get to Rotterdam, with friends.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Kanadzie liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #11844
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

In France, they burn cars.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Kanadzie liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #11845
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

A1 Apeldoorn - Hengelo

A notice to start procedures for the widening of A1 between Apeldoorn and Hengelo has been published. It describes the proposed project and which aspects need assessment. It is a standard step for this kind of road project.

The plan is to widen A1 across 52 kilometers with one lane in each direction. The left shoulder running between the Beekbergen interchange (A50) and Deventer-Oost exit will become regular lanes, so this section will feature 2x4 lanes. There will be 2x3 lanes all the way to the Azelo interchange (A35) south of Almelo.

A1 is a crucial corridor with very high truck counts, over 20,000 trucks per day between Apeldoorn and Deventer. Studies have shown the right lane becomes underused if truck volumes exceed 750 trucks per hour per direction. Over 1,000 trucks per hour, merging and exiting becomes difficult and even dangerous. The truck counts will go up to 1,100 trucks per hour per lane. The plan is to scrap the truck passing ban once the new lanes are in operation. This will reduce the endless convoys of trucks on the right lane.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, snowdog, Henk liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #11846
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

Quote:
From Dutch people I heard stories about people blowing up themselves on New Year's Eve, confirms my idea that this place is a Naples only apparently more civilized
This explains why I felt so at home in Naples.

Quote:
There we go, with this majestic presentation:
http://www.denhaag.nl/en/residents/t...-Hofvijver.htm
Wow that sounds dreadful.

The Hague has a big fireworks show in the summer at the beach. That's not very useful for you right now but I thought I'd mention it for future reference.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #11847
JB1981

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I have a question you might help me with. Friends will come over at the end of this month. They want to see a massive firework setting, so I'm planning on taking them to somewhere near the Erasmusbrug in Rotterdam. I'm finding conflicting information about parking on the area. Apparently many parking garages will be closed until midday Jan 1st. I don't want to risk park the car on streets (vandalism, rogue fireworks etc). Does anyone know a particular place that might be a safe alternative to park the car? I was thinking of the Erasmus hospital complex, but couldn't find any online info on whether their parking garages will stay open as usual throughout the night. Public transportation is not an option since there is none after 20.00 till 8.00 the following day.
Perhaps the Schiecentrale Q-park? Its in a commercial/office/residential building. About 2km walk to Erasmus bridge.
JB1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #11848
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31/N32 Werpsterhoek Interchange

Some photos around the Werpsterhoek Interchange near Leeuwarden. It will open to traffic on 18 December. There was an open day today.

Knooppunt Werpsterhoek-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Knooppunt Werpsterhoek-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Knooppunt Werpsterhoek-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Knooppunt Werpsterhoek-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Knooppunt Werpsterhoek-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old December 13th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #11849
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

So consistent! The same signs, horizontal painting, city direction signs, so clean compare to Belgium :P I miss this Dutch organization :]
Hope to drive to Groningen via Zurich next spring to see it.

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #11850
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Haak om Leeuwarden

Panorama at the 'Westelijke Invalsweg' interchange.

N31 Haak om Leeuwarden panorama by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

036Almere liked this post
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #11851
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Air quality

Air quality in the Netherlands improved for the fifth year in a row, since the 'national cooperation-programme air quality' commenced.

There are no places in the Netherlands which exceed the limits for particles (pm10). There is 9 km of road in the Netherlands where limits for nitrogen (NOx) are exceeded, chiefly in inner city areas of Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Air quality along motorways (with their very high volumes of traffic, but also better traffic flow) is satisfactory at every location, though some locations remain relatively close to the limits.

Although the 'air quality craze' has mainly centered on particles (pm10), the actual problem is more in the nitrogon (NOx) area, because road traffic is responsible for a much larger share of it than with particles, which is mostly background concentration. For that reason, they will work out plans to discourage new diesel cars. The Netherlands already has some of the highest taxes on diesel car ownership in the world.
Old December 16th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #11852
Wilhem275
The Transporter

A general thought on this topic: talking about air quality and emissions, NL (at least close to the coast) has the giant advantage of wind. It's surprising how you seldomly smell exausts even when walking beside a bunch of cars stopped at a red light.

The same amount of traffic, let's say in the plains of Northern Italy, would soon lead to an emergency situation; while for example Genova, on a windy coast, never had such problems even with an older fleet of cars.

Just to remind how environmental parameters can condition the sustainability of private transportation in a certain area (something that pro- and against- advocates often forget).

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old December 16th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #11853
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

We need more electric cars on the fleet. When this happen, things will be much better.

Slagathor liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #11854
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
The same amount of traffic, let's say in the plains of Northern Italy, would soon lead to an emergency situation; while for example Genova, on a windy coast, never had such problems even with an older fleet of cars.
From my house in Milano, I could barely see mountains in the background in winter. When I could clearly see the peaks on the background, it was a sign of a windy day.
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #11855
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Just to remind how environmental parameters can condition the sustainability of private transportation in a certain area (something that pro- and against- advocates often forget).
True, for example in Tirol the air quality is often poor despite the lack of industry and not particularly high traffic volumes. Inversion traps pollutants in the long valley. The same happens in cities like Tehran, Paris or Mexico City which are located in a valley.

A concern in the Netherlands is local particle emissions, particularly around cattle farms. The only spots in the Netherlands where particle limits are exceeded is in the immediate vicinity of farms. They calculated that some 100 houses are affected by very local pm10 emissions from farms.
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #11856
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
We need more electric cars on the fleet. When this happen, things will be much better.
Remember that there's not just a problem of emission or fuel efficiency probably the main drawback of private transportation is the amount of space needed, especially in towns.

I don't want to start a flame about "who's better", I'm just pointing out that the need of space for cars (parked and moving) is a relevant factor.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #11857
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Remember that there's not just a problem of emission or fuel efficiency probably the main drawback of private transportation is the amount of space needed, especially in towns.

I don't want to start a flame about "who's better", I'm just pointing out that the need of space for cars (parked and moving) is a relevant factor.
That is true, but electric cars solve the problem of pollution at point of use, entirely. So do hydrogen-cell powered cars for that matter, or hypothetical nuclear-powered cars.
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #11858
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
True, for example in Tirol the air quality is often poor despite the lack of industry and not particularly high traffic volumes. Inversion traps pollutants in the long valley. The same happens in cities like Tehran, Paris or Mexico City which are located in a valley.
A document about pollution of freight traffic in the Alps:

Umweltbelastungen des alpenquerenden Güterverkehrs/Impatto ambientale del traffico merci attraverso le Alpi: http://www.bafu.admin.ch/publikation...x.html?lang=de (German or Italian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Although the 'air quality craze' has mainly centered on particles (pm10), the actual problem is more in the nitrogon (NOx) area, because road traffic is responsible for a much larger share of it than with particles, which is mostly background concentration. For that reason, they will work out plans to discourage new diesel cars. The Netherlands already has some of the highest taxes on diesel car ownership in the world.
What are the limits in the Netherlands, to compare?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #11859
ChrisZwolle
Road user

40 µg/m³ in 2015. Most road vicinities comply to that norm for some time.
Old December 17th, 2014, 05:05 AM   #11860
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
That is true, but electric cars solve the problem of pollution at point of use, entirely. So do hydrogen-cell powered cars for that matter, or hypothetical nuclear-powered cars.
I love the idea of nuclear powered cars, you would need a piece of uranium the size of a cherry to run the car 100 years (I remember this as a thermodynamics class example ) But I think it is too small to make a chain-reaction, and a low-tech plutonium battery would be totally huge and crazy dangerous.

As for NOx, EURO VI standards are way stricter than already very tight EURO V. Why bother to tax diesel cars when the problem is already solved by higher levels?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands