daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #11861
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Diesel engines are cleaner than ever, the emissions of NOx and PM10 is much lower than diesel engines of 2000 or before. I don't see why they would want to get rid of them at this point. It's better to phase out older diesel engines, for example to tax diesel cars based on their euro emission class rather than weight. A 20 year old diesel smoker cost the same in road tax as a recent euro 6 diesel car. But you know, the environment is a great excuse to levy more taxes.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo, bozenBDJ liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #11862
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I saw a headline somewhere a few days ago - didn't have time to read the article and I can't remember where now - saying that emissions-wise, electric cars are no better than, well, gasoline-powered ones I guess. I don't know if they were just considering the total carbon footprint including the manufacture of the vehicle or what....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #11863
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think that's the total 'dust-to-dust' cycle. However, electric cars don't have exhaust emissions while driving, so it can improve the local air quality.

But electric cars are a niche market in most of Europe (the most notable exception being Norway). Nearly all electric vehicles in the Netherlands are owned by government agencies and a few businesses.
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #11864
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rijnlandroute

The minister of Infrastructure & Environment, Melanie Schultz, has signed the final EIS (tracébesluit) for the A4 and A44 reconstruction that is part of the larger 'Rijnlandroute' project. It involves two new motorway interchanges, a widening of A44 and an extension of the local lanes of A4 to the Rijnlandroute interchange.

The EIS will be unveiled to the public in January 2015.

Old December 18th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #11865
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Bunnik / Houten

The A12 motorway at Bunnik. The overpass under construction is part of the new interchange that will serve Houten. The underpass in the foreground is part of the Bunnik bypass (N411). They cross each other, but do not provide access. Quite a complex project for a small town like Bunnik, with the A12 motorway, a busy railroad, new ramps and a new bypass.

Old December 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #11866
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Duinpolderweg

The 'Duinpolderweg' (Dune-Polder Road) is a proposed connection in Noord-Holland province. It will link A4 with N206 and provide a better east-west connection in the densely populated Haarlemmermeer and Bollenstreek regions.

A new alternative has been added this week, displayed in purple. It will branch off further south and follows the Haarlem - Den Haag railroad past Hillegom.

Old December 18th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #11867
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

N206 has good standards on Zuid-Holland, then it becomes a farm track on Noord-Holland
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #11868
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Leeuwarden

The bypass of Leeuwarden opened to traffic today around 4 p.m. It's an 8 kilometer four-lane controlled-access highway.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Surel, snowdog, BringMe, Luki_SL liked this post
Old December 19th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #11869
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Leeuwarden

Some photos of the N31 around Leeuwarden which I took today.

N31 Leeuwarden-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-13 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-14 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-15 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-16 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-17 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-18 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

N31 Leeuwarden-19 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Suburbanist, Ni3lS, MichiH, Nicolaas, riiga and 1 others liked this post
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #11870
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quick language question - can one read "1200 m" as "twaalfhonderd meter" or is it "duizend tweehonderd"?

Sorry for the OT.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #11871
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Quick language question - can one read "1200 m" as "twaalfhonderd meter" or is it "duizend tweehonderd"?

Sorry for the OT.
Both are correct, but the former is the more natural and far more common expression.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #11872
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dutch exits are signed at 1200 m, 600 m an 0 m, which - as far as I know - other countries don't do in Europe. They (Dutch traffic engineers) studied the issue in the 1970s and found out 1200 m is the best distance to begin signing an exit.

Of course, spatial constraints could mean exits are signed at different intervals (such as Marsum 800 m), but those are exceptions.

Also notable is that Frisian placenames are now used on motorway signage as well (Marsum vs. Marssum, Wergea vs Warga), but only for small towns. You won't see 'Ljouwert', 'Snits' or 'It Hearrenfean' on the signs (except for bilingual city limit signs).
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #11873
zwanneman2

Likes (Received): 10

So the signs indicate Leeuwarden-Oost, Leeuwarden-Centrum, Leeuwarden-Zuid, Leeuwarden-Noord and Leeuwarden. So we're does Leeuwarden lead to? And if it's Leeuwarden-West why not just indicate that? This is a general thing I have with multiple exits for one city. Which exit gets the name of the city without suffix? Or why would you use a direction without suffix anyway?
zwanneman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #11874
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is no exit called 'Leeuwarden-Centrum'. It is only signposted on the Wâldwei when coming from Drachten as a secondary destination.

Traffic from A31 and A32 will use exit 24 'Leeuwarden' which will become the major entrance to Leeuwarden once the 'Westelijke Invalsweg' is extended further into the city.

Leeuwarden-Zuid (Overijsselselaan) used to be the major entrance to Leeuwarden from the south, but is now considered to be the least important access road into Leeuwarden, it also has the lowest speed limit (50 km/h).
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #11875
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Dutch exits are signed at 1200 m, 600 m an 0 m, which - as far as I know - other countries don't do in Europe. They (Dutch traffic engineers) studied the issue in the 1970s and found out 1200 m is the best distance to begin signing an exit.

Of course, spatial constraints could mean exits are signed at different intervals (such as Marsum 800 m), but those are exceptions.

Also notable is that Frisian placenames are now used on motorway signage as well (Marsum vs. Marssum, Wergea vs Warga), but only for small towns. You won't see 'Ljouwert', 'Snits' or 'It Hearrenfean' on the signs (except for bilingual city limit signs).
1 mile - 1700 m or so - seems to be standard here as the starting point for signing an exit. Sometimes 2 miles in environments like toll roads without lots of exits.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #11876
devo

Likes (Received): 41

One mile is 1609 meters, even closer to 1200. But it makes sense that you would use 1 mile and not 7/8th of a mile or so.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #11877
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Most countries in Europe use something between 1000 and 2000 m.

1200 m seems odd, why not 1000 m like Germany? Although 1000 m is a bit short if you drive 180 km/h

Dutch advance signs don't make a difference between exits and interchanges (like for example in Germany or France). But sometimes they sign multiple exits in advance, most notable on A50 near Arnhem:

IMG 059 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #11878
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
One mile is 1609 meters, even closer to 1200. But it makes sense that you would use 1 mile and not 7/8th of a mile or so.
Sure. Don't know what I was thinking. (Well, "a mile is 1,760 yards* so it must be a slightly smaller number of meters" is what I was thinking...)

Now that you mention it, France or Belgium uses a lot of 1600-meter signs, I think... I remember wondering if they'd just picked up an American standard somehow and metricized it.

*That sound you hear in the distance is Spinoza's head exploding.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #11879
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

My favourite is the voice of John Cleese on the Tomtom navigation when you got it set on the metric system: in 800 metres - alright half a mile but we got to say 800 metres these days because of that little bastard Napoleon - take the exit.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #11880
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I saw a headline somewhere a few days ago - didn't have time to read the article and I can't remember where now - saying that emissions-wise, electric cars are no better than, well, gasoline-powered ones I guess. I don't know if they were just considering the total carbon footprint including the manufacture of the vehicle or what....
It all depends on where the power that the electric cars use to charge comes from. If you take Beijing as an example you can replace all cars with electric cars but as long as the power comes from coal power plants located in the direct vicinity or even in the city, the air quality doesn't improve much and it is actually better for total CO2 emission per kilometer driven to drive light, fuel efficient diesel or petrol cars.

And than we leave the battery production and recycling dilemma even out of the equation.

Also with the popular hybrids take into account that the cars easily weigh 200 kilograms more than pure electric or diesel / petrol cars. This extra weight of plugin hybrids also requires extra electricity when running electric and more electricity means more CO2 in production as well - until we get C02 neutral or low CO2 power supply.

I recently drove a hydrogen concept car, but also hydrogen requires a lot of power to produce. So even when hydrogen in the car only lets clean, clear water leave the exhaust it is not perfect.

Audi has a natural gas concept which includes a very clean e-gas based supply chain that reduces C02 emissions across the entire process from energy production to driving emissions. http://www.audi.de/content/de/brand/...ck-g-tron.html

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands