daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #11961
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

This should freak snowdog out....

The Heulweg underpass at A15 in Rotterdam has been replaced by - you read this right - a canoe crossing.

before:

after:

photos by Palance.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Turf liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #11962
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
It's a shame there are so few places like this, I'd love to live next to there.

Exit motorway > I'm home.
And leave home > Ahh motorway.

No annoying slow (sub)urban areas to traverse through slowly, just jump in and 100+ km/h .
What you need is to find a disused service area. Your own exit from, and entrance to, the motorway. Of course, if just a few other people did that, that would sort of defeat the whole idea of "limited access"....

(Seriously, ramps dumping traffic right into residential neighborhoods? Residents, keep an eye on your kids....)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #11963
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Limited access is not what I'm aiming for, quick access, without being bogged down by slow suburban roads is what would be awesome:
http://goo.gl/maps/Jzfbd
Also lovely easy access to a motorway. Shame there is no exit for it .
Quote:
keep an eye on your kids
Too young for kids, maybe in a year or 10 I'd want to retire to a quiet child friendly neighborhood, atm I just see them as annoying money guzzling noisy poop factories and have no intention of making any .

I've used that exit in Waalwijk once to turn around, because I didn't read the signs correctly and entered the A59 in the wrong direction from the N261 once . Personally found it pretty awesome, an exit immediately into a residential area, no traffic lights, etc .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #11964
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Limited access is not what I'm aiming for, quick access, without being bogged down by slow suburban roads is what would be awesome:
http://goo.gl/maps/Jzfbd
Also lovely easy access to a motorway. Shame there is no exit for it .

Too young for kids, maybe in a year or 10 I'd want to retire to a quiet child friendly neighborhood, atm I just see them as annoying money guzzling noisy poop factories and have no intention of making any .

I've used that exit in Waalwijk once to turn around, because I didn't read the signs correctly and entered the A59 in the wrong direction from the N261 once . Personally found it pretty awesome, an exit immediately into a residential area, no traffic lights, etc .
You don't get the point he is making do you
Old January 5th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #11965
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Road signage. What is the meaning of the double "stop line" in this example? Where is one supposed to stop?

(you can see my window in that picture )

PS: personal OT, I'll be in this country for 18 days from now. If anyone wants to meet, it's the last call...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #11966
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
An interesting video (Dutch) about the construction of the 2nd span of the Brienenoord bridge (A16) in Rotterdam. There is some cool footage as well.
Very nice to see this again. It is a shortened version of a bigger documentary which was about 1 hour long. I followed the transport of the bridge at Zwijndrecht, de Spijkenisserbrug, the Botlekbrug and in the heart of the city when the Koningshavenbrug (de Hef) was passed. A few days later I also was on-site to see the bridge being positioned alongside the first bridge. Those were unique moments which I will never forget.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #11967
EPA001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

The Heulweg underpass at A15 in Rotterdam has been replaced by - you read this right - a canoe crossing.

before:

after:

photos by Palance.
With the new connection opened which connects the Zuiderparkweg in Rotterdam with the new suburban areas Portland and Carnisselande just a couple of hundred meters further down the road this tunnel was not necessary anymore for the passage of cars. The bike-route and pedestrian roads are still there.

This connection is more than only a canoe crossing. And it was always planned as such a type of connection. This tunnel is part of the so-called "Blue Connection" (de blauwe verbinding) which has three purposes:

1. The transport of clean and fresh water from the river "Oude Maas" to the Zuiderpark recreational area;
2. Recreative route for very small boats (also canoes) between the Zuiderpark recreational area (North of the A15 Motorway), the Zuidelijk Randpark and the polders "Het Buytenland" and the "Zuidpolder"
3. Ecological connection between green areas in the city area and (future) nature areas on the island "IJsselmonde".

(In Dutch:

Quote:
• Aanvoer van schoon water vanuit de Oude Maas naar het Zuiderpark;
• Recreatieve vaarroute tussen het Zuiderpark, het Zuidelijk Randpark, het Buytenland en de Zuidpolder;
• Ecologische verbinding tussen groengebieden in het stedelijke gebied en (toekomstige) natuurgebieden op IJsselmonde.)
See this pdf: http://www.rotterdam.nl/GW/Images/Bl...rt2010_Web.pdf
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
Old January 5th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #11968
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

What about this water staircase ?
Old January 5th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #11969
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

He'll be all right if he can use a speedboat.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #11970
EPA001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What about this water staircase ?
That is a part of new tunnel which I described earlier. The water staircase is a piece of art. It is not part of the described "Blue Connection". This connection functions very well as it connects directly to the P&R Metrostation Slinge and 1,4 km further to the Ahoy Sport- and Exhibition Complex, Shopping Centre Zuidplein and Metrostation Zuidplein. But is was also long overdue but could not be finished earlier since the connection was part of the works to widen the A15 motorway.

See: http://www.rijkswaterstaat.nl/wegen/...erparkweg.aspx
Old January 5th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #11971
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Road signage. What is the meaning of the double "stop line" in this example? Where is one supposed to stop?
The middle one
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #11972
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ecocrossing along N260 at the bridge across the Wilhelmina Canal in Tilburg.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old January 5th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #11973
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Road signage. What is the meaning of the double "stop line".
There is no double stop line. There is only one stop line and it's next to the one that's on the bike lane. The other line is part of the zig-zag-thingy.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #11974
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The unusual A15 (N15 until later this year) - N57 interchange at Brielle, Port of Rotterdam. The Harmsen Bridge is on the left, spanning the Hartel Canal. It was built in 1968.

The Caland Bridge across the Caland Canal in the Port of Rotterdam. It was built in 1969, it needs renovation in a couple of years, and there is a desire to expand rail capacity across the bridge. Alternatives are studied, but there doesn't seem to be enough money for a new bridge. Renovation seems most likely.

The Thomassen Tunnel opened in 2004 to relieve the Caland Bridge. The tunnel is for highway traffic, the bridge is now mainly for hazmats, some local traffic and a major rail connection. The westbound tube was recently restriped to three lanes.

The A15-A24 interchange will be constructed at this location. They kept space for such an interchange and new tunnel route for A24.

Old January 5th, 2015, 10:01 PM   #11975
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dense infrastructure along A15 in Rotterdam:
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #11976
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

All those wind breakers on the Caland bridge make for a very interesting, almost surreal, visual impression (Google SV) as you approach them.

Slagathor, snowdog liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #11977
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Gaag Aquaduct

The aquaduct at Delft. Typical 1990s waste of money. The canal is not navigable due to the low bridges (such as the one in the photo)

snowdog, lafreak84, EPA001 liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; January 7th, 2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old January 8th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #11978
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Utrecht

The A27 at Utrecht was built in a depressed alignment. It was a controversial project, they had to send in riot police to remove protestors who set up camp there. It was critized as 'hugely oversized' and 'unnecessary'. It opened in 1986.

Traffic volumes reached 118,000 vehicles per day within 3 years of opening and 194,000 vehicles by 2006. It is currently planned to widen this segment to 14 lanes (again, a controversial project as Utrecht is the epicenter of the 'Greenleft' party).

A27 at opening in October 1986.
Old January 8th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #11979
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Schiphol

The eight-lane A4 at Schiphol Airport in 1986, with a Yugoslav Airlines plane crossing the motorway.

Henk, verreme, snowdog, riiga, EPA001 and 6 others liked this post
Old January 8th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #11980
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The average distance between exits (not: motorway-to-motorway interchanges) by province.

Map by: Myquandro

EPA001 liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands