daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #12001
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A tanker truck with hazardous materials has been involved in an accident on A73 near Linne. Emergency services scaled the call up to GRIP 3 which doesn't happen too often (especially not with traffic accidents).

Basically the truck with hazardous materials didn't see a traffic jam (because of another truck accident a few kms south on A2 (picture). This crash then caused a back-up, the two tunnels near Roermond were closed (probably due to the 'Tunnelwet' and traffic jams not being allowed in tunnels) which caused traffic jams at the exit before the Roertunnel. And now about an hour ago another truck crash happened because - most likely (I'm speculating here) - the trucker missed the traffic jam for that same exit. Just like happened in the 2nd crash. Currently 30 kilometers of southbound A73 is closed due to the 2 crashes.

Not a good day for truck drivers in southern-NL
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #12002
ChasingCars

Likes (Received): 167

Not a good day for road safety and automobility in Limburg!

I am seriously worried about the mental and physical state of truck drivers as well as the technical state of their vehicles. 3 very serious accidents, all involving multiple trucks, that's not a coincidence anymore.
Either a lot of truck drivers are not paying attention to the road (too tired, distracted by phone, etcetera?), or their trucks are in such a bad shape that they can't avoid an accident (brake malfunction, worn tyres, etcetera).
ChasingCars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #12003
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

The hazardous material is hydrochloric acid, wich formed a poisenous cloud of gas around the site of the accident. Cars had to be washed down because of the caustic properties of that stuff.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #12004
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingCars View Post
3 very serious accidents, all involving multiple trucks, that's not a coincidence anymore.
Well it apparently is a coïncidence since it's not happening on a daily basis.

'all involving multiple trucks'
Yeah, but it only takes one of the to fvck up and take out 4 or 5 more...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #12005
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

@ChrisZwolle i think that all busy motorways which are on the west of the country are busy simply because there are located 3 biggest cities in the Netherlands.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #12006
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

no shit...

On a side note, do we expect any shifts in this list the coming years?

Wilhem275 liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #12007
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

@da scotty Please behave.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #12008
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The busiest motorway stretches in the Netherlands. I excluded segments that are directly adjoining another busy segment. The data is based on 2013 annual average workday volumes.

* A4 Prins Clausplein - Ypenburg: 239.900
* A15/A16 Ridderkerk-Noord - Ridderkerk-Zuid: 235.300
* A16 Rotterdam-Centrum - Rotterdam-Feijenoord: 226.900
* A10 De Nieuwe Meer - Amsterdam-Oud Zuid: 214.400
* A4 De Hoek - Hoofddorp: 214.300
* A12 Utrecht-Kanaleneiland - Utrecht-Hoograven: 213.700
* A2 Utrecht-Centrum - Oudenrijn: 206.900
* A4 Amsterdam-Sloten - Badhoevedorp: 186.400
* A1 Muiden - Muiden-Oost: 185.700
* A2 Holendrecht - Abcoude: 185.500
* A27 Lunetten - Rijnsweerd: 185.500
* A2 Eindhoven-Airport - Eindhoven-Centrum: 170.800

All locations over 170.000 vehicles per day are in western Netherlands, except A2 at Eindhoven which is in southern Netherlands. There are only a few stretches with over 100,000 vehicles per day outside the Randstad conurbation (A2 's-Hertogenbosch, A12 Arnhem, A28 Zwolle, A50 Nijmegen, A58 Tilburg, A67 Eindhoven).

The busiest intercity motorway is A2 between Amsterdam and Utrecht. The the lowest volume is 171.200 vehicles per day. A2 also has the longest stretch of 100.000+ traffic, from Amsterdam to Vught (86 kilometers).
Do you have a source with traffic volumes for every motorway or is it private information?
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #12009
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
On a side note, do we expect any shifts in this list the coming years?
A1 near Muiden certainly still will grow significantly over the next years, so best chances of a higher ranking.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #12010
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Due to the opening of the missing link on the A4 between Delft and Schiedam I also expect higher numbers on the A4 between Prins Clausplein and Ypenburg. The A13 and A4 will be less congested so people from Zoetermeer who now take the N470 or the N209 to Rotterdam, might move towards the A12-A4.

When that missing link opens there will also be a shift from traffic between the South of Rotterdam and Den Haag, and maybe even traffic between Antwerpen and Den haag will use the A4 instead of A16-A13. So I expect lower figures on the A16 in Rotterdam next year.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #12011
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverworld View Post
Do you have a source with traffic volumes for every motorway or is it private information?
The source is INWEVA 2013. It is accessible via the 'nationaal georegister'.

I added the 2013 volumes to Wegenwiki, for example A1 (Nederland)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Neverworld liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #12012
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by verfmeer View Post
Due to the opening of the missing link on the A4 between Delft and Schiedam I also expect higher numbers on the A4 between Prins Clausplein and Ypenburg. The A13 and A4 will be less congested so people from Zoetermeer who now take the N470 or the N209 to Rotterdam, might move towards the A12-A4.

When that missing link opens there will also be a shift from traffic between the South of Rotterdam and Den Haag, and maybe even traffic between Antwerpen and Den haag will use the A4 instead of A16-A13. So I expect lower figures on the A16 in Rotterdam next year.
The projected AADT in 2030 is 264.000 vehicles per day on A4 between Prins Clausplein (A12) and Ypenburg (A13). They plan to alleviate this traffic growth by constructing a local-express system through these interchanges.

264.000 is actually a quite small traffic growth from 2013 (240.000). That's a growth of only 24.000 vehicles over 17 years, in a fast-growing area. I expected a volume of over 300.000 vehicles per day.

The projected traffic volume on A1 at Muiden is 317.000 vehicles per day in 2030 in a build-out scenario of Almere. This will be the highest volume in the Netherlands.

The situation in Rotterdam is changing as well. Although the new A4 will relieve A13 and A16, it will overwhelm the Benelux Tunnel with traffic. For that reason, the Blankenburg Tunnel (A24) is planned. At the same time the A13-A16 link will increase traffic on the Van Brienenoord Bridge. The projected volume at the bridge is around 280.000 vehicles per day.

Rotterdam's motorway network is overwhelmed with traffic as it doesn't have the bypasses that Amsterdam has (A5 & A9). In addition, its metro area is more balanced 50/50 across the Maas River, so it has more problems with (the lack of) river crossings than Amsterdam.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #12013
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N434 Rijnland Route, Leiden

The final plans for the construction of N434 - Rijnland Route have been published. It involves a new link between A4 and A44 south of Leiden. It will reduce the travel time between those motorways from 20 to 3 minutes. It includes a 2.520 meter long bored twin-tube tunnel. The projected AADT is 57.000 vehicles per day.

The environmental impact statements for the construction of the A4 & A44 interchanges, plus the extension of the A4 local-express system and widening of A44 to 8 lanes have been published as well.

Project website: http://www.zuid-holland.nl/onderwerp.../rijnlandroute

Old January 15th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #12014
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Leiden - Den Haag

The final environmental impact statement for the widening of A4 between Leiden and Den Haag has been published today. The motorway will be widened from 2x3 to 2x4 lanes from the future Hofvliet Interchange (N434) to the Leidschendam interchange (N14). The projected AADT is 178.000 vehicles per day.

Old January 15th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #12015
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

This would be the R'dam area if it was up to me.

Red are planned/under construction.
Orange would be my additions.

Ideally all roads near Rotterdam should follow the 1972 plan :

A chart from 2003, about the decades which motorway was built when:

Missing some major connections in the south east ( at this time in 2003).

EPA001, Billly liked this post

Last edited by snowdog; January 16th, 2015 at 12:05 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #12016
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

I like your ideas of new highways around Rotterdam, and I like the A3 , A62 and A18 proposed on the 1972 plan

Strangely, though, there was no plan to extend A44 into Den Haag and linking with A4, and also is also omitted there. I think A59 is fairly important, and everything would be better if there wasn't his mismatch of general alignment of A58 and A59 west of A16.
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #12017
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Missing some major connections in the south east.
Therefore I think a motorway Den Haag-Naaldwijk-Oostvoorne-Stellendam-Burgh Haamstede-Veere-Arnemuiden-Terneuzen-Zelzate-Gent would be a good idea. It would bypass Rotterdam and Antwerp for going through trafic, and it would drasticly shorten traveling times in the south-west.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #12018
ChasingCars

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by verfmeer View Post
Therefore I think a motorway Den Haag-Naaldwijk-Oostvoorne-Stellendam-Burgh Haamstede-Veere-Arnemuiden-Terneuzen-Zelzate-Gent would be a good idea. It would bypass Rotterdam and Antwerp for going through trafic, and it would drasticly shorten traveling times in the south-west.
Not true. In fact, as this proposed highway does not link any medium (let alone big) city, the underlying road network would have to be heavily upgraded as well in order to accomodate the traffic.
BTW, with the soon-to-open Sluiskiltunnel and the N61 and N62 being upgraded to full 2x2 motorway standard, a connection as proposed by you is well underway, at least in the Zeeuws-Vlaanderen part.
On the other hand, N57 badly needs improvement anyway so that would fit in your plan. Widening of N57 is most needed on the Voorne-Putten island (roughly between the towns of Spijkenisse and Hellevoetsluis). These cities with a total of 130.000 inhabitants are very poorly connected, infrastructure-wise. There are three connections to (heavily congested) A15, all via bridges that open for ships multiple times per hour, all-day. The only other connection is via a small ferry boat.

Last edited by ChasingCars; January 15th, 2015 at 10:59 PM.
ChasingCars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #12019
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

(regarding this chart from post 12019)
Such a few The Netherlands to Germany motorways connection in 60's, 70's and 80's
I remember still when A50 wasn't finished in vicinity of Eindhoven and was no motorway in between Venlo and Roermond
OMG, time flies so fast!

Any progress on one of the few big motorways roundabout on A6/A7 near Joure?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 02:52 AM   #12020
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I like your ideas of new highways around Rotterdam.
There's a surprise.

Neither of you has proposed fixing that obvious missing link right through the center of town between the A13 at Kleinpolderplein and the A29 at IJsselmonde.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands