daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 06:54 PM   #12141
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

There is one traffic light just before the Emmeloord motorway interchange. Right now only buses can access N50 southbound, while all traffic can exit N50 in the other direction, making the return trip a detour to one of the A6 interchanges. As there are only buses accessing N50 southbound, you rarely have to stop for a red light (I drive here frequently and can't recall when the last time I had to stop there).

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #12142
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N50 Ens - Emmeloord

I created a gif of the new 'Emmeloord-Zuid' interchange of N50 (Exit 34).

Old February 25th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #12143
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9, Amsterdam

Construction of the new A9 bridge across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal near the Diemen motorway interchange, just outside Amsterdam. It's part of the SAA project. It's the first new (large) bridge of this type in the Netherlands in over a decade.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, McBeans, EPA001 liked this post
Old February 25th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #12144
bogdymol
bogdymod

That view looks familiar to me.

(link - A1 Motorway nearby Arad, Romania / Mures Bridge / picture date 01.04.2011)
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #12145
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, it is the same bridge type. They are efficient for spans that are too long for traditional beams, but too short for a more expensive cable-stayed design (i.e. 75 - 200 meters). There were a large number of these bridges in the Benelux built in the 1970s.

The last one built in the Netherlands was the Julian J. Ewell Bridge near Veghel (A50) in 2003.
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #12146
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A8-A7 Amsterdam - Hoorn

The plan approval procedure has been started for the widening of A8 and A7 between Amsterdam and Hoorn. It was originally initiated as Amsterdam - Purmerend, but they decided to expand the scope to the Hoorn-North interchange.

The first phase includes drawing up alternatives with a broad scope which fit within the budget of € 300 million. It is unlikely that € 300 million could fund a widening of A7 between Purmerend to Hoorn-North in addition to the original plans of Amsterdam - Purmerend-North.

The preferred alternative will be selected in Q1 2017. The funding will not become available until 2023, so there is plenty of time to work out the alternatives. The first phase includes all modalities and spatial components in the area.

The unofficial preferred alternative is a widening of A8 to 2x6 lanes, reconstructing the Zaandam motorway interchange to make Amsterdam - Purmerend the through route, and a widening of A7 to 2x4 lanes up to Purmerend-South and 2x3 lanes to Purmerend-North. A logical extension would be 2x3 lanes to Hoorn-North.

The whole project scope includes 33.5 kilometers of motorway.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, lafreak84, Henk liked this post
Old February 26th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #12147
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Is construction of a motorway between Alkmaar and Hoorn planned?
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #12148
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Nop, There are plans for a Zaandam-heemskerk expansion along the current A8 line.
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #12149
maral

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Groningen earthquakes are shallow and local. Their magnitude rarely exceeds 3.0, I doubt if they need upgraded seismic standards. In most countries a 3.0 magnitude earthquake would not make the news, but these are caused by extraction of natural gas, so they are shallow and easier felt than regular tectonic earthquakes of this magnitude. It's not like California or Japan where earthquakes in excess of 7.0 magnitude are possible.
6 in recent years with >3.0

Magnitude doesn't tell the story. Shallow, type of soil, repetition. One quake not that bad, had 25 already this year. etc

Advice is follow the Excisting Eurocode 8

http://www.nen.nl/NEN-Shop/Vakgebied...rdbevingen.htm

New guidelines for buildings, de nieuwe Nederlandse Praktijkrichtlijn etc

http://www.nen.nl/NEN-Shop/Norm/NPR-...5-Ontw.-nl.htm

The answer is no a definetly no Chris.

Suburbanist, EPA001, Road_UK liked this post
maral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #12150
maral

Sontbrug :

Quote:
De aardbevingen gaan de stad veel geld kosten. Nieuwbouw moet voortaan aardbevingsbestendig zijn en dat is duur. Daardoor gaat de nieuwe Sontbrug over het Winschoterdiep, de langste in de provincie, 15 miljoen euro meer kosten dan begroot. Ook het nieuwe cultuurcentrum aan de Grote Markt, het Forum, moet steviger worden gebouwd en wordt dus duurder.
N7 Ring zuid :

Quote:
Aanleg Ring Zuid niet vertraagd door aardbevingen

De bouw van de nieuwe zuidelijke ringweg in de Stad loopt geen vertraging op door maatregelen om de weg aardbevingsbestendig te maken. Dat zegt wethouder Paul de Rook.

Woensdag werd bekend dat de bouw van het Groninger Forum wel vertraging oploopt. De gemeente neemt vier maanden de tijd om uit te zoeken wat de nieuwe normen voor aardbevingsbestendig bouwen betekenen voor het Forum.

Kleine wijzigingen
Uit een eerste onderzoek naar de gevolgen voor de ringweg blijkt dat de benodigde aanpassingen niet zo groot zijn. Wethouder Paul de Rook: 'Een aantal kleine wijzigingen zal het uiteraard wel hebben. Misschien een versteviging hier of daar.'

Verschil met Forum
Het grote verschil met de situatie rond het Forum is de fase waarin het bouwproject is. 'We hebben nu acht maanden de tijd om met de potentiële aannemers het ontwerp definitief te maken. Daarin nemen we de aardbevingsbestendigheid mee.'

De meerkosten zijn volgens De Rook voor het Rijk. Die heeft toegezegd de kosten te betalen. 'We houden zorgvuldig bij wat de meerkosten zijn en die brengen we in rekening bij het Rijk en bij de NAM.'
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #12151
ChrisZwolle
Road user

These seismic standards are brand new (less than one month). For which magnitude are they designed?

I wonder what the previous seismic standards were. Although notable earthquakes in the Netherlands are rare, there was a 5.8 magnitude earthquake near Roermond in 1992. But it didn't cause much structural damage (mostly cracks in walls and falling roof tiles). This site claims there were no seismic standards at that time.
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #12152
ChrisZwolle
Road user

These are the earthquakes in Groningen (of all magnitudes). They cluster around the gas fields. They are all very shallow (around 3 km in depth) which is the reason why they are felt more widely than usual.

http://www.zesnuleen.nl/aardbevingennoordnederland/
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #12153
maral

The European standards, Eurocode 8, are from 2007. So, maybe no standards in '92.
But those are, maybe quite logical, not in implied in Netherlands. (kosten/baten/risico)
For province of Groningen it is now stated that we should follow the new NPR for new buildings, renovating etc.
It's not about designing for magnitudes, but Peak Ground Acceleration (PGA)
For example the PGA's from an quake neer Loppersum

[IMG]http://i59.************/a1lu8w.png[/IMG]

We have a lot of old brick houses/buildings in Groningen Province with bad foundation.
For example some school buildings you can only call safe with PGA of 0.2 or less and two are closed and renovation is going now. Some 120 will be investigated according the new NPR.

In the Netherlands the 'acceptable' risk of dying due a collapsed building is set at 1:100.000. In our province is that on average with PGA in mind 1:10.000, with some 35.000 buildings with an even bigger risk than 1:10.000

Quote:
In de Eurocode wordt bijvoorbeeld ongewapende baksteenbouw verboden bij een
piekgrondversnelling groter dan 0,2 g.
I am not familiar with the new specific demands in the NPR for new bridges etc, but it will something like the above.
What is the possible PGA on a location and what do we have to do to build in a way that it can stand those
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #12154
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 753

I would have thought that pretty much all structures built in the last 50-60 years would be ok. Bridges and viaducts certainly.
Of course the ground is soft but even accounting for this the magnitudes are extremely low (most between 1.9 and 2.9. Micro quakes) and pretty much all the damage is to very old structures.
Of course the extremely extensive use of brick in NL certainly makes minor damage more likely even with very light tremors but large reinforced concrete and steel structures would be just fine I would imagine.
I don't know why one would need to change requirements there.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #12155
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Bridges are also designed to handle a continuous heavy load and stress. I assume they can withstand these earthquakes better than the relatively old housing stock in rural Groningen.

I've read Groningen is the most extensively monitored area of the planet today. A peak ground acceleration of 0.4 is quite significant. It depends heavily on the ground type and is not necessarily related to the magnitude of the earthquake.
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #12156
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 753

Isn't a tremor of 2-2.5 about the same feeling as a large truck driving by?
I grew up with tremors of 4-4.5 (about 100x the energy released) and that was just enough to get the cups and glasses rattling a bit. No structural damage. Of course the ground there wasn't as soft as is the case in Groningen.

Last edited by KIWIKAAS; February 26th, 2015 at 08:25 PM.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #12157
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The exact effect is highly dependent on the soil type and depth. With regular tectonic earthquakes, a 3.0 - 4.0 earthquake is strong enough to be felt, but does little damage. However, the Groningen earthquakes are very shallow and induced by natural gas extraction, so their impact is more significant than one would expect based on the magnitude. A 7.0 may do little damage in Japan, but a 6.6 killed 26,000 people in Iran due to poor construction standards.
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #12158
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Seismic retrofitting is extremely expensive by the way. They are upgrading all bridges in California, spending billions of dollars on them. Retrofitting 9 bridges near San Francisco cost nearly a billion dollars each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic...ridge_retrofit

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/paffairs/about/retrofit.htm
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #12159
maral

Main difference is of course the depth.
In japan depth's fot example can be 30km ore more.
Groningen 3km. That and the clay..make even a minor quake felt...

That's why some people in Groningen say it maybe better to look at the scale of mercalli

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaal_van_Mercalli

And note that the same area's are hit again and again. So the damage done is getting bigger with every quake
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #12160
maral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Seismic retrofitting is extremely expensive by the way. They are upgrading all bridges in California, spending billions of dollars on them. Retrofitting 9 bridges near San Francisco cost nearly a billion dollars each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic...ridge_retrofit

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/paffairs/about/retrofit.htm
Only reïnforcing houses is an estimated 6,5 billion euro's.
Doesn't even include hospitals, churches, schools etc or the extra costs for example the new bridge i mentioned.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands