daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #12341
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

It's all just politics, it sounds eco friendly, but I highly doubt scrapping one of my older cars will be so much better if I buy a new econo crapbox. Better yet, my car is wanted for the export to Africa, where it will probably live on for many more years.

We have 3 cars, one of which is a 1993 Toyota Corolla 1.6 Gli, I don't see how buying a new Aygo or something similar has any point, this Rolla is more comfy, roomy, powerful ( 114 bhp, much better than the average econo crapbox, and it just burns about 6.5l/100 km on the motorway and 10l/100km in city), faster ( it still reaches 190 km/h, so it can't have lost many ponies since 1993, while in an Aygo I was struggling to reach just 150 km/h), has more stuff ( leccy windows, mirrors, power steering, etc...), and is unbreakable. Only disadvantage is the jap interior and the boring/grandpa look, but meh, means I never get the attention of any cops in it.

Our last one ( same year) went away to Congo for 1500 euro's, with 450.000 km's driven. This ones just at 350k, in my eyes it's just been driven in. It never breaks and aside from some new oil, filters, tyres, brake pads, it never needs anything.

While I hear about 4 year old Citroens C1 with leaking doors, broken clutches at just 40k km ( and city driving isn't an excuse, I use the Rolla as a city car for years now, and sometimes drive as a hooligan)...

You waste far more cash on depreciation on new cars than you save on fuel. Not to mention crappy electronics on modern cars, while old cars are a breeze to work on ( provided you don't have too many rusty bolts ). No need to fork out on garage costs but just buy the parts, spend an hour or two maintenance every half year or so, and it will keep running forever.

For long trips we have 2 LPG cars from the early 2000's. I find it a shame the rolla won't be an old timer exempt from tax in 3 years, but we will keep it running nonetheless, as it's still a far better car than most of the city cars they spit out these days.

Same thing with the modern 4 stroke scooters, they're completely rubbish quality wise compared to the oil burning old ones. My mum rides an old '97 two stroke scooter, and it literally never breaks, it's ridden more than 50.000km now since my mum had it, and she's bought it 9 years ago. While I hear people with 2006 or 2007 scooters with just 10.000 km ridden having problems or being scrapped.

How is producing 5 new rubbish Chinese quality scooters instead of just riding 1 older one more eco friendly ? You just move the ''problem'' to the places where they are produced and the raw materials are mined and all the extra transportation.

Surel liked this post

Last edited by snowdog; April 24th, 2015 at 12:22 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #12342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

A15, Rotterdam

Ballast Nedam, one of the largest construction and engineering firms in the Netherlands, appears to be on the edge of bankruptcy. The biggest problem for them is the A15 widening project in Rotterdam, which apparently is costing more than expected. This a DBFM contract with a 25 year concession to widen, operate and maintain the motorway, based on an availability payment. The project value is € 1.5 billion.

Ballast Nedam is a partner in the A-Lanes A15 consortium, which consists of Ballast Nedam, John Laing, Strabag and Strukton. They all have a fairly equal share in the consortium (24+28+24+24% respectively). The project however, is mainly on schedule and is nearing completion.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #12343
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
How is producing 5 new rubbish Chinese quality scooters instead of just riding 1 older one more eco friendly ? You just move the ''problem'' to the places where they are produced and the raw materials are mined and all the extra transportation.
This is unfortunately very truth for so many things.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #12344
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Even if the reasoning of using older cars leading to less materials hold, it doesn't change a yota about tailpipe emissions. There is no scientific way around it: cars manufactured before 2002 or so pollute much more, and cars from the 1980s outrageously more, than new ones. For come exhaust compounds, they pollute 200, 300 times more, and the pollution stays in places where the car ran.

You can't solve the problem or air pollution at point of use with older cars. This is why electric cars are so attractive, they eliminate tailpipe emissions and cut down noise at lower speeds (when engine noise still dominates air displacement noise) by more than 70%.
Old April 26th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #12345
sotonsteve

Likes (Received): 3

To look at tailpipe emissions in isolation is a dangerous thing. Scrapping a vehicle which still has lots of life left in it is far more environmentally damaging, as you are essentially scrapping valuable natural resources which have not been utilised to their full potential. Recycling of the materials in a scrapped vehicle will only utilise a proportion of the natural resources, as there is always landfill from scrapping a car. Furthermore, building a new car uses its own natural resources and generates its own pollution. It is unsustainable to replace something like a car just because a newer model is more "green". Sustainability is about maximising its working life first, and then replacing it when it is life expired.

On another note, the EU method of measuring fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions is flawed. In the past 10 years or so, fuel consumption and carbon dioxide figures for cars on sale have become progressively less accurate, to the extent that some cars on sale burn twice as much fuel as they are supposed to, and carbon dioxide figures are based on fuel consumption figures. This is because the EU method of testing is flawed, as it is done in a laboratory rather than out on a road. Old cars have much more realistic fuel economy figures.
sotonsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #12346
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions are not harmful to the local environment. While they are a greenhouse gas, they do not degrade local air quality, like nitrogen dioxide and particles do. So for local health and enviroment standards, it's better to switch to cleaner vehicles. Especially because the tailpipe emission of those pollutants is so much greater even for a 15 or 20 year old car.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #12347
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsteve View Post
To look at tailpipe emissions in isolation is a dangerous thing. Scrapping a vehicle which still has lots of life left in it is far more environmentally damaging, as you are essentially scrapping valuable natural resources which have not been utilised to their full potential. Recycling of the materials in a scrapped vehicle will only utilise a proportion of the natural resources, as there is always landfill from scrapping a car. Furthermore, building a new car uses its own natural resources and generates its own pollution. It is unsustainable to replace something like a car just because a newer model is more "green". Sustainability is about maximising its working life first, and then replacing it when it is life expired.

I'm thinking about air quality at a local level. It is an undeniable fact air quality in European cities got better, but is still not reasonably clean, and point-of-use emissions from road vehicles are a huge contributor to that. I agree with the rest of your argument, but car factories, mines, rubber processing plants can all be tucked away from cities whereas cars are used in close proximity to places where 90% or more of the population lives.
Old April 26th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #12348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Plans were floated in the late 1960s to turn the island of Voorne-Putten into a huge industrial area for the Port of Rotterdam expansion. They also envisioned a large city called 'Grevelingenstad' south of it. Note that this plan was envisioned in a time when it was thought the Netherlands would grow to 20 or 30 million inhabitants.

Here's a map.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, snowdog, keokiracer, Pell0 liked this post
Old April 26th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #12349
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

Wow what a nightmare.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #12350
Suburbanist
on the road

I like the map and the plan, Zeeland is underpopulated.

snowdog liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #12351
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Both Voorne-Putten and Goeree-Overflakkee (who came up with these names?) belong to South Holland. A common mistake though. Zeeland is south of these islands.
Old April 26th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #12352
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Indeed, I once talked to someone living in Oude Tonge. When I asked if she was from Zeeland I got a very angre face.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #12353
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Both Voorne-Putten and Goeree-Overflakkee (who came up with these names?)
Our ancestors had given names to the islands of Voorne, Putten, Westvoorne (Goedereede) and Overflakkee (Zuidvoorne).
Flakkee was once the name of the lower course of the Haringvliet. The Flakkee water channel was created in the 13th century during heavy storm tides, which devided the old (bigger) island of Voorne.

Suburbanist liked this post

Last edited by aswnl; April 26th, 2015 at 11:55 PM.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #12354
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N46 Groningen

The N46 is part of the Groningen Ring Road. Over the past couple of years, this segment of the ring road has been turned into a free-flow expressway. Completion is planned for this year.

Old April 30th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #12355
ChrisZwolle
Road user

traffic safety

The official traffic fatality count for 2014 is 570, the same as 2013.

As you can see the number of fatalities has decreased the most among passenger car occupants, as well as a fairly significant decrease among pedestrians. Bicycle fatalities have been reduced less.

In previous decades, the 18-25 age group always had the largest share of fatalities. However, this has changed significantly, with the 70+ age group now accounting for 40% of traffic fatalities, while they comprise 12% of the population.

The amount of fatalities among the 20-29 age group dropped from 256 in 2000 to 83 in 2014. The amount of fatalities among children aged 0 - 15 has dropped from 59 to 19 during that period. The amount of fatalities decreased among all age groups, except 80+.

Most fatalities occur in North Brabant province, with 100 fatalities in 2014. The lowest amount of fatalities were in Flevoland province, with 9 fatalities.

EPA001 liked this post
Old April 30th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #12356
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

So relatively, mopeds and motorcycles are most likely to die, followed by bicycles ?

I'm a bit divided on what to do about the old people problem. On one side, I disagree with forbidding them to drive just because of age and taking away their mobility, on the other side, grey haired are the most annoying drivers of all imho, and I think people that lack a certain physical responsiveness and fitness should not be driving cars...

The 2014 number certainly show that there is no justification for the massive enforcement on speed for cars, at least on motorways, seeing as nearly a same amount of cyclists die in traffic ( who aren't anywhere near motorways). It's just another proof that speed traps on the motorways are clearly just for financial and political correctness reasons ( noise/air pollution) rather than safety.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #12357
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Drachtsterweg, Leeuwarden

New aerial photos of the Drachtsterweg project in Leeuwarden. They are constructing an aquaduct.

Turf, EPA001 liked this post
Old April 30th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #12358
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another bridge named after a Canadian liberator. The Dutch are mighty proud of their (mostly Canadian) liberators. This is a local bridge at N760 west of Genemuiden.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old May 1st, 2015, 01:06 PM   #12359
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
New aerial photos of the Drachtsterweg project in Leeuwarden. They are constructing an aquaduct.
There is a remarkable amount of expensive road construction going on in the Province of Friesland. How are these financed? Because nationwide there are a lot more routes which need such investments much more than what we see happening here. Are the Provinces financing this? (maybe out of the sale of NUON to Vattenfall?).
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 01:10 PM   #12360
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
There is a remarkable amount of expensive road construction going on in the Province of Friesland. How are these financed? Because nationwide there are a lot more routes which need such investments much more than what we see happening here. Are the Provinces financing this? (maybe out of the sale of NUON to Vattenfall?).
Didn't they get some money to invest in infrastructure after the Zuiderzeelijn rail project was cancelled?

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands