daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #12401
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Thanks for posting.

The only real solution for A67 is a widening to six lanes along the entire length from Eindhoven to Venlo. There's too much truck traffic to handle on two lanes, with or without a passing ban.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #12402
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N302 Lelystad - Enkhuizen

I made another video, of provincial road N302 between Lelystad and Enkhuizen. It runs across a 27 kilometer long dam that separates two lakes. It also includes the famous 'naviduct'.

I stated in the video that the dam was built between 1963 and 1975, but I researched a little further and found out construction already began in 1956, based on old newspaper articles. And the road opened on 14 December 1976.

Today the dam functions pretty good, but it needs passing lanes. Traffic is often a bit too dense to allow frequent passing.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Godius, SRC_100, Karaya, piotr71 and 1 others liked this post
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #12403
ChasingCars

Likes (Received): 167

Official opening of the Sluiskil tunnel

Today, Dutch king Willem Alexander will officially open the new Sluiskil tunnel in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen, Zeeland province.

The Sluiskil tunnel replaces the old (1968) bridge across the Ghent-Terneuzen channel. Due to heavy shipping, this bridge opens very frequently and opening times are as long as 30 mins, thus causing major traffic disruptions on both sides of the channel.

The Sluiskil tunnel is part of a large road widening/construction project in Zeeland and makes for a much smoother connection between the Western Scheldt tunnel and the Belgian city of Ghent.
When completed, the N62 will offer a new grade-separated 4-lane connection between the western part of The Netherlands with its major cities Rotterdam / The Hague and the Flemish cities of Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges.

Info (in Dutch only):
http://www.sluiskiltunnel.nl/ (project page)
http://nos.nl/artikel/2036468-zeeuws...jn-tunnel.html (Dutch news page)

EPA001 liked this post
ChasingCars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #12404
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5856

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Thanks for posting.

The only real solution for A67 is a widening to six lanes along the entire length from Eindhoven to Venlo. There's too much truck traffic to handle on two lanes, with or without a passing ban.
Agreed. But maybe this has to be done in cooperation with Germany? Though I realise there is of course the lowering of the traffic at Venlo through the A74 which connects to the German A61. But how much growth will we see in the coming years on these roads?
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #12405
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingCars View Post
Today, Dutch king Willem Alexander will officially open the new Sluiskil tunnel in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen, Zeeland province.
A video of a drive through the new tunnel:

Like most tunnels, there is not that much to see, I guess

There does not seem to be any English language announcement, but google translate did a reasonable job on the article from the state broadcaster. A few snippets inline:

"The 1,100 meter long tunnel will replace the swing bridge over the busy shipping canal Ghent-Terneuzen. The bridge was when he opened in 1968, an engineering feat. It was the largest swing [bridge] in Europe."

"The bridge is often open: 23 times a day, on average, more than 5 hours. And that means a 50 percent chance that you stopped. And if you stand still, then you stand still for long, an average of twenty minutes. The result: traffic jams, especially during rush hour."

"It will be years ahead busier on the channel. Terneuzen get a new lock and that means more and larger ships that will sail the channel."

The last is a reference to the new $2B lock for Post Panamax ships to travel to Ghent. This, together with the Seine-Scheldt project to improve shipping conditions between Rotterdam and Paris along this corridor should considerable grow traffic on the canal.

An imaginary map of the future connections from the SSC Dutch section:

To be clear, the new tunnel is the shorter one, crossing the narrow canal East to West just south of Terneuzen. The 4 mile long North South tunnel is the Western Scheldt Tunnel (Westerscheldetunnel).

Slagathor, EPA001 liked this post
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #12406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some smaller project news.

N11, Zoeterwoude

A new interchange will be constructed along N11 in Zoeterwoude with 'Smeetsweg'. It is the second-to-last traffic light intersection between A4 and A12. It will be constructed between 2017 and 2019.

N605, Boekel

A new bypass is planned for the town of Boekel in North Brabant province. It is part of N605. It is planned to open the bypass in 2019. Provincial roads in this part of the Netherlands tend to be heavily traveled due to the numerous small and medium sized towns scattered in the area.

Buitenring Parkstad Limburg

Construction progress on the 'Buitenring Parkstad Limburg', a new expressway around the Heerlen conurbation in southern Limburg.

N391, Emmen

A slightly older photo (March) of the widened N391 in Emmen.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Batavier, Luki_SL, EPA001, keokiracer liked this post
Old May 20th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #12407
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

What is the status of the Hoorn-Einkhuizen project?
Old May 20th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #12408
ChasingCars

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What is the status of the Hoorn-Einkhuizen project?
According to the project website of the Noord-Holland Province, actual construction of the N23 will commence after 2015 summer holiday. Link: http://www.noord-holland.nl/web/Proj...tfrisiaweg.htm

Last edited by ChasingCars; May 20th, 2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo
ChasingCars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 10:46 AM   #12409
Suburbanist
on the road

Boerenlaan, near Rozendaal (not to be confused with Roosendaal), in the Veluwezoom national park

EPA001, Wilhem275 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 03:12 PM   #12410
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I LOVE the Veluwe. One of my favourite regions in Europe, at all.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 03:19 PM   #12411
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

Really? May I ask why? It doesn't seem that amazing.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 03:37 PM   #12412
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I like its natural landscape, with the mix of forest and dunes. Probably it's the specific kind of vegetation which grows there, it's fairly different from the average "European forest". I find extremely relaxing travelling through it.

I'm also amused by the contrast between that raw area and the rest of precisely-drawn-Netherlands, it makes me appreciate more its untouched natural appearance.
And, to complete the picture, since I was a kid I have had special feelings for the Kröller-Müller Museum, I'm always fascinated by the image of this minimalistic, rigorous modern architecture and art placed in the middle of raw peaceful nature.
Apart from the aesthetic pleasure, it is one of those places where I can always find again myself.

Probably these reasons are more personal than objective, but I'm really fond of that place

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Slagathor liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:22 PM   #12413
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N62 Sluiskil Tunnel

The four-lane Sluiskil Tunnel near Terneuzen opened to traffic at midnight.

It replaced the two-lane Sluikil Bridge, that is opened for shipping / closed to traffic 23 times / 5 hours per day.

The tunnel is 1330 meters long and is located just south of the 6600 m long Westerschelde Tunnel. The next project is to widen N62 to a four-lane expressway to the Belgian border.

Old May 24th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #12414
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A religious traffic jam. There is some kind of pentecost event in Biddinghuizen. I've never seen this before.

EPA001, Slagathor liked this post
Old May 24th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #12415
Suburbanist
on the road

Maybe just parents going off with their kids to that big theme park out there since it is a bright sunny Sunday?
Old May 24th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #12416
sotonsi

Presumably a parade or something closing the N305 and exacerbating the theme park traffic as it is pushed onto less good roads?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #12417
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

It's a event with 50.000 people on the Theme park Terrain, celebrating pentecost. Bound to couse some troubles on the connecting roads.

Suburbanist liked this post
da_scotty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:32 AM   #12418
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

Quote:
A religious traffic jam. There is some kind of pentecost event in Biddinghuizen. I've never seen this before.

[img]

[img]
Shame Moses wasn't available to part the seas.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #12419
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I filmed a couple of roads this weekend with a new dashcam, the Mini 0806. It was a 250 kilometer trial run for my upcoming vacation.

Pros:
* wider angle, easier on the eyes in curves & roundabouts
* wider angle shows more of the surrounding area
* better image stability
* no sunrays filming into the sun
* more concealed camera
* 2 memory slots

Cons:
* wider angle means more difficult to get rid of all reflection on the dash. I think I dealt with this problem on my last video (Ring Zwolle).

Neutral:
* doesn't solve the pixelization with trees. Youtube still degrades the quality when driving through a forested area.

SRC_100 liked this post
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #12420
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
I filmed a couple of roads this weekend with a new dashcam, the Mini 0806. It was a 250 kilometer trial run for my upcoming vacation.
Where are you going this year? Which country(ies)?

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands