daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #12821
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The longest strecht without exits is A7 over afsluitdijk unless you count as exit the rest area
The rest area at Breezanddijk (basically in the middle) isn't just a rest area, it's a proper exit.
From Breezanddijk to Den Oever is 15 kms.

Closest to that is the A6 between Almere-Buiten-Oost and Lelystad at 13.5 kms.

Both do have rest areas in that stretch. I couldn't tell you what the longest stretch without rest areas is.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #12822
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

The average exit density (not counting rest areas) in the Netherlands is around 3.3 km between exits. This varies relatively little between metropolitan and rural areas, as practically all motorways in the Netherlands were built before extensive (sub)urban development took place around it. Exits tend to be within 4 - 5 km in less densely populated areas like Friesland, Groningen and Drenthe, not really different from A4 or A12.

Relatively few exits have been added since initial construction of the motorways in the 1960s and 1970s. Some exits have been significantly enlarged to meet the growing demand due to urban growth.

A major upside in the Netherlands is that it is easy to detour traffic via alternate motorways, instead of alternate secondary roads, due to the density of the motorway network. This is only less practical in the east, but traffic volumes tend to be lower, though the large amount of incidents on A1 and A67 are a problem because high capacity detours are not available.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Aumgn, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #12823
Eurosnob

Likes (Received): 17

Impressive pictures of impressive infrastructure. I never really appreciated the quality of the Dutch motorway network until I moved overseas...
Eurosnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #12824
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Here is another point of view of the Muiderberg railroad arch bridge that will span the wider A1 motorway. I think it's the largest bridge spanning across a motorway in the Netherlands.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, Pell0, Koesj, UnequalSine, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 18th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #12825
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Vinkeveen

The Vinkeveen exit along A2, before and after widening (gif):

detail:

zoomed out:

EPA001, snowdog, 8166UY, SRC_100, KIWIKAAS liked this post
Old October 18th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #12826
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6 Almere

Recent (30 June 2015) imagery of the A6 expansion in Almere.

1. Muiderberg motorway interchange (A1/A6)

2. Holland Bridge

3. The Almere Stad-West interchange

4. Almere Haven interchange. End of the first phase.

EPA001, snowdog, Suburbanist, SRC_100 liked this post
Old October 18th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #12827
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

How many lanes will the A6 in Almere have?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #12828
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

2*4 at Muiderberg, 4*2 in a local-express set-up in Almere, 2*3 between Almere and Lelystad!
Old October 18th, 2015, 02:05 PM   #12829
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Holland Bridge (Hollandsebrug) will feature 14 lanes.
Old October 18th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #12830
da_scotty

hmm then the Dutch Wegenwiki page isn't up to date! (Or is that 2*4 + 2 bus lanes + 2 reversible lanes + 2 local lanes?)
Old October 18th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #12831
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is a render:

There will be 10 lanes on the motorway, 6 in peak hour direction (2x4 lanes + 2 reversible lanes), a two-lane local road and a double bus lane.

snowdog, Rebasepoiss, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 19th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #12832
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Knooppunt Bodegraven

The Bodegraven exit (A12/N11) has been upgraded to motorway interchange status (knooppunt):

Luki_SL, UnequalSine, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 20th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #12833
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

What does the new upgrade to a interchange mean for this location? It still is an exit, I mean the area hasn't been upgraded recently. It looks like merely a name change
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #12834
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, it's a status change to reflect the actual situation. Expect in the coming time that all free-flow interchanges between at least one motorway and another expressway will get official 'knooppunt' status.
Old October 21st, 2015, 12:46 PM   #12835
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
official 'knooppunt' status.
Which is pretty meaningless - which I think was Batavier's point.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 12:53 PM   #12836
da_scotty

Ah at least you get rid of that weird 12/12a numbering.
Old October 21st, 2015, 01:07 PM   #12837
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Which is pretty meaningless - which I think was Batavier's point.
In Dutch, the difference between 'knooppunt' and 'afrit' is significant. You can translate both as 'interchange' in English, but a 'knooppunt' indicates a free-flow interchange between a motorway and another motorway or expressway.

The Netherlands does not have many exits with a free-flow design. The policy was to stress the difference between a motorway and non-motorway (even though it's usually pretty obvious), so non- 'knooppunt' interchanges are supposed to never have free-flow conditions. Of course there are a few exceptions, which will be addressed in the coming time.

Also, the name of the 'knooppunt' is very prominently named in traffic information, similar to 'Kreuz' or 'Dreieck' in Germany. But whereas Germany has loads of cloverleafs or other free-flow interchanges with non-Autobahnen, this is much rarer in the Netherlands.
Old October 21st, 2015, 01:26 PM   #12838
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In Dutch, the difference between 'knooppunt' and 'afrit' is significant. You can translate both as 'interchange' in English, but a 'knooppunt' indicates a free-flow interchange between a motorway and another motorway or expressway.

The Netherlands does not have many exits with a free-flow design. The policy was to stress the difference between a motorway and non-motorway (even though it's usually pretty obvious), so non- 'knooppunt' interchanges are supposed to never have free-flow conditions. Of course there are a few exceptions, which will be addressed in the coming time.
Sure the experience of using a knooppunt is different to that of using an afrit, but the status of a knooppunt doesn't magically make the junction free-flowing, nor does it magically make it with a major motorway/expressway. Here we had an afrit that was a knooppunt in all but name, and NOTHING has changed a sign or three and how Dutch (and German) people look at it.

I fully understood the meaning and the difference. I simply cannot understand the point of purpose of knooppunt status, and you haven't given me a reason.
Quote:
Also, the name of the 'knooppunt' is very prominently named in traffic information, similar to 'Kreuz' or 'Dreieck' in Germany.
But, why can't you have (as heard in London traffic reports) something like 'junction 8 Reigate' and just prominently mention afrits?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 01:29 PM   #12839
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nobody cares about exit numbers. They are basically never used in speech, media or traffic information. In addition, a knooppunt does not have an exit number in the Netherlands.

EPA001 liked this post
Old October 21st, 2015, 01:47 PM   #12840
da_scotty

In the Netherlands its usually just: "Exit Schiphol" or "Exit Rotterdam Overschie".

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands